Thrones

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I am on the throne thinking about thrones.

Using the cheap ones. 4 hour gig Friday night and my butt is still sore.

I need something comfy, round (no nugget-buster bicycle seat for me), reasonable light and stable, and not terribly expensive. I don't need the back rest and all that. I like the ones that are hydraulic or spin adjustable for quick adjustments but that isn't critical.

Any thoughts?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibraltar B9708 single braced spindle base. Not the lightest but more study than the lighter weight Tama or Gibraltar bases.
For the seat, thick pork pie seat.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roc N Soc would be my recommendation as well . You can get them in round or tractor style seats . I have a preference for the hydraulic thrones but I like the spindle style throne they make as well .

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roc N Soc would be my recommendation as well . You can get them in round or tractor style seats . I have a preference for the hydraulic thrones but I like the spindle style throne they make as well .
The roc n soc throne bases (hydraulic or spindle) are super heavy. OP was looking for something lighter weight, like many of us.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This the most comfortable throne I have ever owned. There’s a round one too but the foam in the triangular one is better (IMO). The aluminum legs lighten it up a little and for $200 - I think it’s a steal. One of the best investments I have made in the last year.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The roc n soc throne bases (hydraulic or spindle) are super heavy. OP was looking for something lighter weight, like many of us.
Rich I saw that , but lightweight and comfortable are not mutual characteristics of drum thrones . For example the Yamaha DS-750 is an extremely lightweight throne but to use it for a four hour gig is not recommended . I used one for two hour Big Band rehearsals and my back was sore when done .
I have gone back to sturdier more comfortable thrones that can be comfortable for long periods of time and that is why I recommended the Roc N Soc .

The Pearl GT 1500 series is probably the best compromise between , weight comfort and reasonably priced made today . It does come in both round and triangular shapes seat tops .

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rich I saw that , but lightweight and comfortable are not mutual characteristics of drum thrones . For example the Yamaha DS-750 is an extremely lightweight throne but to use it for a four hour gig is not recommended . I used one for two hour Big Band rehearsals and my back was sore when done .
I have gone back to sturdier more comfortable thrones that can be comfortable for long periods of time and that is why I recommended the Roc N Soc .

The Pearl GT 1500 series is probably the best compromise between , weight comfort and reasonably priced made today . It does come in both round and triangular shapes seat tops .
Lightweight base, big comfy seat is the trick

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did RnS change the design so you don't have to keep the leg hinges tight to prevent them from breaking?

I had a RnS with legs that broke down, but it was a great throne for several years.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My RnS thrones are the same ones I've had and been using for 10+ years now. I'm not easy on them but I don't throw them around either. My gigging one goes into a tom case in the truck. FWIW, you can buy the seat and get a lighter tripod base. One of my RnS hydraulic lifter went but I use two collar/shaft clamps on the post at the height I needed and it's been fine for years now.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibraltar B9708 single braced spindle base. Not the lightest but more study than the lighter weight Tama or Gibraltar bases.
For the seat, thick pork pie seat.
I can vouch for the Gibraltar B9708 base. I use it with a Gibraltar Oversize Motorcycle Top, not a nugget-buster.

Northamusi

Reaction score
I have a Gibraltar 9608 and I’m very happy with it. It’s priced around a hundred bucks. Full disclosure: I havent used it for a four hour gig, and I’m kinda skinny.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
What about this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/9608SFT--gibraltar-9608sft-round-top-softy-throne

I trust Gibraltar with my life (which is more than I can say for the search function on this forum - I saw it hitting on my wife Friday night, while I was suffering on an uncomfortable throne).

And the reviews seem to agree: Big and COMFORTABLE for long sets. Plus it's not too expensive.

And, to further clarify: I would appreciate light weight but it isn't the primary concern. COMFY for long haul nights is the primary concern. My hardware is all WAY over-engineered and way too heavy. But once I get there and we start settling in for a long night, I want it to be comfortable. I don't want it to HURT to keep playing. That is THE priority.

It's either this, the smaller Gibraltar or a Pork Pie big round one. Or maybe the Roc-n-soc round top and later on get a base I like for it.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
This the most comfortable throne I have ever owned. There’s a round one too but the foam in the triangular one is better (IMO). The aluminum legs lighten it up a little and for $200 - I think it’s a steal. One of the best investments I have made in the last year.

This looks cool but here's the thing. When I play, I sit forward on the stool, let my junk dangle off the front end. These bicycle, tractor or triangular models just create pain where I REALLY don't want pain when I'm getting my groove on. I mean, I'm wearing pants and all that when I play, but there's something about those angled seats that just hurt my special areas.

Everyone's different, and I ain't Hercules or anything downstairs, but I have to have the free-floating jangle that the round seat allows.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks cool but here's the thing. When I play, I sit forward on the stool, let my junk dangle off the front end. These bicycle, tractor or triangular models just create pain where I REALLY don't want pain when I'm getting my groove on. I mean, I'm wearing pants and all that when I play, but there's something about those angled seats that just hurt my special areas.

Everyone's different, and I ain't Hercules or anything downstairs, but I have to have the free-floating jangle that the round seat allows.
I got it when you said “nugget buster.”

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I (...sometimes..) don't think, you want to get "too comfortable"..
You want to get in there- blast em- pack up and head home.

70s Atlas.
plus your weight is sometimes 'on the pedals' it's not like you're lounging..on your back side.
If that was the case you might as well bring a TV and dinner tray. (joking there)

Last edited: