Thrones

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Roc N Soc would be my recommendation as well . You can get them in round or tractor style seats . I have a preference for the hydraulic thrones but I like the spindle style throne they make as well .
So many Roc N Soc endorsements on DFO. Upon inspection, though, totally unimpressed with build quality and materials.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe those Pearl feet "everyone" likes on their 'floor toms' could utilized...so that taking the emphasis from the throne top to what actually rests on - hits the floor.. Have at the bottom the padding there. at the bottom.
think that's why I can 'get away' with the Atlas...those block spongy rubber feet.

reminds me of a song/ Lp.
Astral Projection

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a "cheap" Pacific used throne that was very supportive, light, and comfortable. Rather than the usual "cushy" soft foam seat it had a hard to compress composite cardboard/foam or something. Thicker seat at 4". Could sit on it all day long.
If you can find one of these for $25-$35 deal a good deal imo. The "monster comfy" and rapidly adjustable seats most recommend weigh a ton. Not easy to lug around.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I (...sometimes..) don't think, you want to get "too comfortable"..
You want to get in there- blast em- pack up and head home.

70s Atlas.
plus your weight is sometimes 'on the pedals' it's not like you're lounging..on your back side.
If that was the case you might as well bring a TV and dinner tray. (joking there)
I use to think this & didn't sit so much as perch on the same atlas throne.

Then I got old....and my back did too!

Does anyone have an older roc n soc top that has a mount underneath for a a very skinny pole? I inherited one in good shape & the mount underneath looks factory but the opening is too small for any of my throne bases.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I’ll throw in my opinion on the round roc n soc - I’ve owned both the round and tractor styles, and I found the round seat to be more nugget-busting and somewhat uncomfortable. I had to sit on the very edge or it would get in the way of leg movement. The tractor style is way better for me. No discomfort at all and I feel “locked in.”

pjmariner

Reaction score
What about this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/9608SFT--gibraltar-9608sft-round-top-softy-throne

I trust Gibraltar with my life (which is more than I can say for the search function on this forum - I saw it hitting on my wife Friday night, while I was suffering on an uncomfortable throne).

And the reviews seem to agree: Big and COMFORTABLE for long sets. Plus it's not too expensive.

And, to further clarify: I would appreciate light weight but it isn't the primary concern. COMFY for long haul nights is the primary concern. My hardware is all WAY over-engineered and way too heavy. But once I get there and we start settling in for a long night, I want it to be comfortable. I don't want it to HURT to keep playing. That is THE priority.

It's either this, the smaller Gibraltar or a Pork Pie big round one. Or maybe the Roc-n-soc round top and later on get a base I like for it.
I have the softy throne, I am about 235-240 and its rock solid and very comfortable for long sets.

If you are a bigger guy, Light weight and throne should not be in the same sentence. Well built light weight hardware works elsewhere in your drum kit, but for a throne I want rock solid and comfortable, weight be damned. The softy has a bullet proof threaded stand, locks exactly where I want it, and 5 inches of quality foam that doesn't bottom out. Best stand for the money by far in my book for full figured drummers.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This looks cool but here's the thing. When I play, I sit forward on the stool, let my junk dangle off the front end. These bicycle, tractor or triangular models just create pain where I REALLY don't want pain when I'm getting my groove on. I mean, I'm wearing pants and all that when I play, but there's something about those angled seats that just hurt my special areas.

Everyone's different, and I ain't Hercules or anything downstairs, but I have to have the free-floating jangle that the round seat allows.
I think that’s the point of the pick shaped/triangular design. It’s so you can either straddle it OR use the straight side (my preference). I sit a bit forward too and have owned a round throne. I can confirm that Willy and the twins can hang off over the cliff and dangle in comfort.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use to think this & didn't sit so much as perch on the same atlas throne.

Then I got old....and my back did too!

Does anyone have an older roc n soc top that has a mount underneath for a a very skinny pole? I inherited one in good shape & the mount underneath looks factory but the opening is too small for any of my throne bases.
You can get replacement throne seat mounts that are more universal. You may have to drill new holes and install threaded inserts (easy).

Philaiy9

Reaction score
The B/O round Ludwig throne is the most comfortable throne I know. Highly recommend.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I have the softy throne, I am about 235-240 and its rock solid and very comfortable for long sets.

If you are a bigger guy, Light weight and throne should not be in the same sentence. Well built light weight hardware works elsewhere in your drum kit, but for a throne I want rock solid and comfortable, weight be damned. The softy has a bullet proof threaded stand, locks exactly where I want it, and 5 inches of quality foam that doesn't bottom out. Best stand for the money by far in my book for full figured drummers.
Yeah this one swayed me. I just ordered the Gibraltar big softy.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree - lightweight is neat but COMFORT for long gigs is a higher priority.

I totally trust Gibraltar to make a super solid base. And the 5" round seat seems ultra-comfy.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll report when I get it.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
showing my age....anyone remember these?

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
OK I got the Gibraltar big soft throne. First impressions: Oooh. Oooooohhhhh....

I've never had a nicer throne before. Extremely comfortable but firm and supportive.

I haven't had a ton of time on it, but it's nice.

A couple of negative thoughts. Regarding the jewels. My cheapy thrones are also a bit smaller in diameter. It changes a bit. Sitting forward feels more dramatic and unbalanced on this bigger stool compared to the smaller diameter thrones I'm used to. So I sit back a touch, and yeah, my upper thigh then is a bit hindered. So I start to see the point of the bicycle seat.

Also, the spindle height adjuster doesn't adjust much. For me its no biggie as it sits kinda right where I want it.

So. Rock solid. It's Gibraltar. Big and super comfy. Very solid. Possibility that I actually need to go nugget-buster eventually but I need more time with it. I need a marathon gig or two with it to be sure. My guess is that this will be great and will last a long time.

pjmariner

Reaction score
Glad you like, I think with time you will get used to the larger diameter, I had a similar sensation at first which I forgot about till you mention it.

With the spindle, I imagine you mean the throne is already pretty tall so you dont need much "spindle" showing? If you wind spindle all the way out the stool can be way taller then most players would ever need, like borderline barstool height. I think I myself may have 1 or 2 inches max of spindle showing. That would be only negative I could see, if you want a super low throne, this would not be the one to choose.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Yeah you're right. I messed with it more and it goes well higher than I thought. The memory lock wasn't loosened as much as I thought so it was stopping it.

Goes way higher than I would need.