Throw-off location while snare is on stand.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my hand is at 6:30 (for reference), then the throw is at 8:00 and my mics at 9:30.

sternerp

Reaction score
Well it may seem like a dumb question, but here it is: Where do you guys/gals usually put the throw when your snare is on the stand? I've always put it at 9 o'clock i.e. on the left hand side right under the hi-hat. And if I'm not mistaken, most of my drummer friends do the same. But lately I've seen a few instances of 6 o'clock (pointed at crotch) and 3 o'clock (right hand side) in videos on YT. Even though I know that sound-wise it would make absolutely no difference, i'd feel weird knowing that the wires don't run parrallel to my body. Anyway I'm sort of curious to know how most of you set-up and if there is consensus or not.
I'm a crotch guy. Most of my snares are from the '60s and have a muffler knob to the left of the throw-off, and that makes both easy to access. Plus, my anal retentiveness demands the the batter head logo is set at 12 o'clock, lined up with the butt plate.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
11 o'clock. I usta use a slingerland krupa w an extended butt as my primary & it would rip my pants so I got used to that position.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
My instructor always has it at the 9 o'clock position and I always have it at the 3 o'clock position. Then again, I don't play a traditional setup so what the heck do I know.

Either way, it's never bothered me wherever it's at. That, and I've never had to turn my snare off in a show to truly warrant delving into it though.

Does anyone turn their snare off other than for tuning or practice something and not wanting the snare sound?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I always have my throw-off at 5:30, internal muffler knob at 6:30, and head logo at 12:00.

andwilkes

Reaction score
I'd say between 9 and 10 o'clock. I have one of the basket's three legs directly under my left hand's stick in traditional grip.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor always has it at the 9 o'clock position and I always have it at the 3 o'clock position. Then again, I don't play a traditional setup so what the heck do I know.

Either way, it's never bothered me wherever it's at. That, and I've never had to turn my snare off in a show to truly warrant delving into it though.

Does anyone turn their snare off other than for tuning or practice something and not wanting the snare sound?
Very seldom when playing Classic Rock/Country as music seldom calls for it and I use my 69 10 lug heavy chrome snare with Evans G3
head and snares set tight so I get the pfhat almost tom sound anyway. For Jazz I have either my Sonor wood or Brass Cat snare setbat medium so I get more snare sound. But in either case I use 9 o’clock as thats the way I started and old habits are hard to break.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just thinking about one of my favorite-sounding snares, a Slingerland Krupa (maple) with a Clamshell butt end, strainer side was replaced before I got it.
I just can't use it with the butt end at 12 o'clock because it's so large (Just thinking I might replace it with a regular butt-end).
Anyone else thinking about the other side when it comes to positioning? Some snares offer tension-adjustment on both sides, does this enter the equation at all?

covinasurf

Reaction score
Throw off at 9:00, head logo at midnight. Always.
Except my Sonor Safari snare where I put the head on upside down.

JH

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thinking about one of my favorite-sounding snares, a Slingerland Krupa (maple) with a Clamshell butt end, strainer side was replaced before I got it.
I just can't use it with the butt end at 12 o'clock because it's so large (Just thinking I might replace it with a regular butt-end).
Anyone else thinking about the other side when it comes to positioning? Some snares offer tension-adjustment on both sides, does this enter the equation at all?
I had never had a genuine double adjustable snare until this year when I bought a Mapex Brass Cat. Both butt and the strainer control sides have barrel type,micrometer click adjustments and the strainer control is a Gladstone type quick throw off. In either case those adjusters are small and built close to the shell So space is not a concern when snares are engaged. When not engaged and the throw off
is disengaged, it would hit my leg if not at a 9 oclock position but it’s not a great concern. To be honest I’ve never seen a Krupa snare with the clam shell butt end but I have seen some high end custom snares that have such big snare setups that I’d have to have my legs in the “full split“ position to even play them in the 3 or 9 o‘clock position and I’ve always wondered why that was necessary. And now that I have a Brass Cat and the snare set up is compact, fully and almost infinitely adjustable, I cant see a reason for all the hardware.
Am I just being old fashioned and out of touch ?

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Gretsch snares have tension adjustment on the butt side only, but I don't mind having to reach for it. The throw is more important for me.

Ian S

Reaction score
I'm an oddball so I do all sorts of things from time to time. I like the sound of a drum kit played with the snares disengaged; jungle vibe, lovely.

Edit: Woops, I got a little excited there.. but yeah it's neat to turn the snares on and off for a different sound.

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I'm around 8 o'clock, though I just checked and see that my snare is currently closer to 9 o'clock. Oh well, a little variance doesn't bother me. It's just a habit. I like to have the throw off and tightening wheel where my left hand knows where to grab them.

Insofar as I justify my preference, there are two. One is that I was taught that when playing close to the edge, you want to play on top of the snare wires. Left and right dictate that the snare wires should run somewhat horizontal to make this easier. The other justification is that I think running the snare wires into the rack tom invites snare buzz.

I have no idea whether either of my justifications has merit. As said, how I set my snare drum up is just habit.
3:00 for me.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!! This wins 2020's Obscure Thread Title of the year!!! What's even more amazing is that it's FIVE PAGES long and counting. Is everybody out of work?

The correct answer of course (for a righty) is always 3 o'clock!! What's wrong with you guys?

Michael M.

Reaction score
Well it may seem like a dumb question, but here it is: Where do you guys/gals usually put the throw when your snare is on the stand? I've always put it at 9 o'clock i.e. on the left hand side right under the hi-hat. And if I'm not mistaken, most of my drummer friends do the same. But lately I've seen a few instances of 6 o'clock (pointed at crotch) and 3 o'clock (right hand side) in videos on YT. Even though I know that sound-wise it would make absolutely no difference, i'd feel weird knowing that the wires don't run parrallel to my body. Anyway I'm sort of curious to know how most of you set-up and if there is consensus or not.
I usually put it in the 7:30 to 8:00 o'clock area. 6:00 o'clock ? No way. I like to keep playing with my right hand while throwing the strainer. 6:00 o'clock doesn't allow this as I'm right handed.