"Thunder Island" Jay Ferguson (Live)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Walsh's former keyboardist (Spirit and Jo Jo Gunne, too!).
LOVED this song when it came out ('79?)...still do! =)

Elvis

brianb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great song and I love this live version. Just stumbled across it the other day too. Good stuff

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The cretins at YouTube saw fit to insert an ad right in the middle of the song, so I stopped. Couldn't get a look at the drummer. Was it Russ Kunkel?

Dan

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Outstanding. I rediscovered the song when Sirius XM had their limited "Yacht Rock" station. Call it what you want -- the musicianship in that video is high. Being of a certain age I immediately dismissed AM radio, disco and other pop after I discovered hard rock around 4th grade. I consumed only DC 101 and 98 Rock out of Baltimore (and later WHFS) here in the DMV. That influenced all of my purchasing even as I pivoted to my prog rock and jazz snob periods. Over the years -- going back and listening to AM Yacht Rock and Disco - I really gained an appreciation of the songwriting, musicianship and crafting in that music. No programming or drum machines - just precision musicianship and feel.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was Jay Ferguson, my live show would open with Thunder Island and close with Thunder Island. For the encore (you guessed it!), a longer version of Thunder Island. Great tune.

DaveA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I was Jay Ferguson, my live show would open with Thunder Island and close with Thunder Island. For the encore (you guessed it!), a longer version of Thunder Island. Great tune.
Back in the 80's I attended an outdoor concert in beautiful Isamorada, in the Florida Keys. Bobby Lewis ("Tossin' And Turnin'") opened the show. Bertie Higgins was the headliner. He opened with Key Largo", played "Key Largo" in the middle of the set and closed with "Key Largo"! (And that's no "Thunder Island" - LOL)! My friends and I had to split - "Here's lookin' at YOU, kid!"

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I attended an outdoor concert in beautiful Isamorada, in the Florida Keys. Bobby Lewis ("Tossin' And Turnin'") opened the show. Bertie Higgins was the headliner. He opened with Key Largo", played "Key Largo" in the middle of the set and closed with "Key Largo"! (And that's no "Thunder Island" - LOL)! My friends and I had to split - "Here's lookin' at YOU, kid!"
That's what people came for. Let 'em hear it.