Tim Bogert legendary bass player passed today

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just read that Tim Bogert passed today from cancer at age 76.

He was by far my earliest, favorite bass player. While I appreciated his work with Beck, Bogert and Appice and Cactus - it was his playing with the Vanilla Fudge I fell in love with. I had the good fortune of seeing them play live in '68, opening for Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl.

And then years later (mid 80's-ish), I was thrilled to get to play with him a couple of times at orientation concert at Musician's Institute. I did my best to hold it together and just play as two guys that got called to play bass and drums for the same concert. But inside my 14 year old utter fanboy was simply giddy with "OMG I'm actually playing with Tim Bogert!!"

I still love his playing to this day - and hardly a month goes by without a favorite Fudge track popping up in the car or on Alexa.

Anyway just sad and sorry to hear that he is gone.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He was a fixture in the coffee room at 6757, a real character, and someone who left their mark on a lot of people.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tim passed away from cancer. I don't know enough about cancers, but I've seen enough of the pain and suffering they cause on a person and then eventually on family and friends after the person is gone, for me to know it's always sad. We can't take life for granted, no matter how bleak our situations get, even through all this virus nonsense, life is precious. May he Rest In Peace.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was 16 I was a rabid Vanilla Fudge fan — saw them open for Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl, was in the audience at the Shrine when they recorded "Break Song" and again a few months later at the Rose Palace in Pasadena. After the Rose Palace concert my friend and I managed to sneak backstage and engage Tim Bogert in a conversation about his bass amp/speaker rig*. I always remembered how nice a guy he was to put up with a couple of 17-year old fanboys pestering him with questions about his gear. And as a bass player he was up there with Jack Bruce and Chris Squire when it came to originality, style and technique. RIP, "Tim Bogert, on the Fender Bass".

*With Fudge Tim used a large custom speaker cab containing dual 18s sitting across two Fender Dual Showman cabs, each with two 15-inch JBLs, all powered by a bunch of Fender Showman heads. And of course that P-Bass with the Telecaster Bass neck.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Very influential!
Here’s a live video from 1968 that shows
- the bass with the ‘50s neck
- the Ludwig maple double 26” bass set that Carmine subsequently was able to arrange for Bonzo to get his own
- the go-go girls, which I’m thinking might have been where Tim got his own (somewhat awkward) stage movement ideas?

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just read that Tim Bogert passed today from cancer at age 76.

He was by far my earliest, favorite bass player. While I appreciated his work with Beck, Bogert and Appice and Cactus - it was his playing with the Vanilla Fudge I fell in love with. I had the good fortune of seeing them play live in '68, opening for Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl.

And then years later (mid 80's-ish), I was thrilled to get to play with him a couple of times at orientation concert at Musician's Institute. I did my best to hold it together and just play as two guys that got called to play bass and drums for the same concert. But inside my 14 year old utter fanboy was simply giddy with "OMG I'm actually playing with Tim Bogert!!"

I still love his playing to this day - and hardly a month goes by without a favorite Fudge track popping up in the car or on Alexa.

Anyway just sad and sorry to hear that he is gone.
I remember listening to "Break Song." Don't recall which album it was on. It had a drum intro I remember note for note to today. "And Tim Bobert on the bass!" as they introduced the band...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old bass player from the 60-70’s who is a top call guy in Florida has played with VF several times when they’ve played locally in South Florida. I don’t think Bogart played with VF on the road much at all anymore. Steve had great things to say about the band and Tim as well. Loved that band! Carmine was (and is) awesome.

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP- Tim Bogert. An example here of a one of a kind Rhythm section with Carmine......... Bought this LP when it came out in 1969.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
when i was in college, i hitchhiked across the state (5+ hour drive) on a school night to see BBA. i was not disappointed.

the bass had precision, jazz, and telecaster parts.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RIP Mr Bogert, thanks for the many memories.

I saw Tim with Cactus opening for Jimi Hendrix at the Baltimore Civic Center in 1970. It was the first time I had ever been totally satisfied and ready to go home after seeing the opening act.
We stayed for Hendrix, glad I did, as it was the only time I ever got to see him play live in person. That Baltimore show was his last USA date, ever :icon_e_sad:

I saw Cactus many times after, KILLER band, Tim and Carmine were a powerhouse!

Carmine inspired me to buy my first double bass kit, and influnces my playing to this day.