Time for new cymbals !!! K's worth it ??

Julianlmartin

Reaction score
Hey there !

I own a Tama Granstar kit, but need new cymbales for ages. I used to play on whatever was available in the rehearsal room, but now I can buy some.

I'm playing Rock/Blues/Garage stuff, Drums + Guitar/Singer. Ala White Stripes or Black Keys.

There's those Zildjian Ks that sound really appealing to me.

What do you think ? I read somewhere they might not cut threw the mix enough (Because they are darker.) Would you take something else ?

I really would like to know what you think before spending so much money !

Thanks a lot :)

felis

Reaction score
Zildjian currently lists six different K cymbals packs - from dry and dark, to bright and washy.
I like the K Custom Darks, but for general all around use, I think the standard K set would do well.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm delving into K's currently. I just received my first one yesterday. I got a brand new 17" K custom dark crash for $179 so I couldn't pass it up. I tried it and it's wonderful. Yes it's a darker sound so don't expect it to cut thru loudly. It's very Turkish sounding! I've got lots of Turkish cymbals and like that type of sound. I'll definitely be buying other sizes. If you want K's that cut thru the mix, listen to the regular K's (not the K Custom):

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are definitely worth the money. Check out the regular K line.
I love my K Sweet Crash and can't think of a style of music it wouldn't work well for. Been interested in the rides as well.

Have you spent much time tooling around Zildjian's website or Mycymbal.com or Memphis Drum Shop's YouTube channel?

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
I have a complete set of K dark thin crashes( 16.17.18's, 19's, and a twenty)
I also have a22 k custom dark ride a 20 k ride a 22 k light ride and a 24 k light ride finished by 15 k light hats
Have used these for any and everything. Not piercing sound but nice full and rich within the mix.
Yes, K's are worth the money. Check them out
If you want warmth but strong cut, try A customs out. They're great too

Julianlmartin

Reaction score
Woaw thanks a lot for your fast replies !!!

No I didn't know Mycymbal etc... But that's definitly my next step to confirm the Ks or not :)

Thanks for all your help and advices !

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're playing loud electric music, why not buy something designed to function well there?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's going to be a K Sweet box soon. Saving my pennies for that one.

I love the K Sweets and K Cluster crashes but there's a lot to love throughout the line. You should also check out the redesigned As which sit beautifully in just about any music. I just did a session with them the other day and man, they are just perfect. They're brighter than the Ks, so if you're unmic'ed or just trying to cut through, they might be the better idea.

K Sweet video is here. They are so nice.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And those A Customs now offer a selection of thin 16 and 18 inch crashes. Essentially paper thin - nearly fast crashes....shades of "trans stamps!" Very flexible too. The hats are crispy and smooth and weighted similar to new beats. I found the new A Customs to be quite suitable for 50's and 60's as they also have a bit of that old school vibe in them. No doubt these cut through a mix. And you can play them well both soft and loud.

I tried a set of standard K's about a year ago. They didn't give me all that much more than my 60's A's. So I sent 'em back paying $50 return postage. But I much prefer these re-weighted A Customs to those new K's....especially at 25-30% less money. You can buy once used demo packs of many A's and K's at about $200-$250 below the normal sell price. Those are the best deal if you don't feel the need to test every cymbal before hand.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
And those A Customs now offer a selection of thin 16 and 18 inch crashes. Essentially paper thin - nearly fast crashes....shades of "trans stamps!" Very flexible too. The hats are crispy and smooth and weighted similar to new beats. I found the new A Customs to be quite suitable for 50's and 60's as they also have a bit of that old school vibe in them. No doubt these cut through a mix. And you can play them well both soft and loud.

I tried a set of standard K's about a year ago. They didn't give me all that much more than my 60's A's. So I sent 'em back paying $50 return postage. But I much prefer these re-weighted A Customs to those new K's....especially at 25-30% less money. You can buy once used demo packs of many A's and K's at about $200-$250 below the normal sell price. Those are the best deal if you don't feel the need to test every cymbal before hand.
Were the A Customs re-weighted in 2013 along with the A line? I love the original 90's A Customs before the Projection, Medium, etc, lines came out. I guess they were developed with Vinnie Colaiuta shooting for that old school vibe you mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know when the "thin" line of A Custom crashes came out. I just found out about them this year when running across a set of them. I always found the earlier A Customs a bit too heavy for my tastes....in what appeared to be mostly medium weights. But I like this newer "vintage" style thinner weighting. The ride itself is still a solid medium at 2358 gm. but it crashes ok....many don't at that weight.

20 inch medium ride - 2358 gm
18 inch thin - 1291 gm
16 inch thin - 978 gm
14 inch medium "light" - 986 / 1227 gm

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
K Custom Hybrids can be very cutting when needed... Sounds like it could be a match with your music style. The ‘regular’ K’s are nice, Sweets are nice, Custom Dark, they’re all cool...

K’s are awesome, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. At the very least, listen to good recordings of the actual cymbal. But better yet, play it. Paiste is known for consistent sounds, Zildjian is not. My K will not sound like your K, so be aware of that when you shop around.

My advice - listen to everything, and narrow down a set you’d like to make. Drive to the nearest serious shop that stocks them, and make a day of trying out different pies. Be prepared to buy the ones you love on the spot.

nk126

Reaction score
I just threw a 90s-era K med thin dark crash up on my kit for a Kinks-style rock track I'm recording with a friend. It's funny how "normal" it sounds to me now, given all of the "Swiss" style cymbals-with-holes and quick decay stacks that are in vogue these days. I've got an A med thin crash from the same era I think I need to dig out next.

That said, for a long time, my favorite crash was a 17" K Custom Dark Med Thin I bought used with a tiny crack in it. Plenty loud for bluesy rock, IMO. Too bad I never got around to drilling out the crack before it grew and grew and grew some more ...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K Custom Hybrids can be very cutting when needed... Sounds like it could be a match with your music style. The ‘regular’ K’s are nice, Sweets are nice, Custom Dark, they’re all cool...

K’s are awesome, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. At the very least, listen to good recordings of the actual cymbal. But better yet, play it. Paiste is known for consistent sounds, Zildjian is not. My K will not sound like your K, so be aware of that when you shop around.

My advice - listen to everything, and narrow down a set you’d like to make. Drive to the nearest serious shop that stocks them, and make a day of trying out different pies. Be prepared to buy the ones you love on the spot.
Best advice!

I've spent so much money on cymbals I didn't end up keeping. Hear/play before you buy.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have and love a lot of cymbal lines but I would keep my K’s above all else. I like the K dark thins and Sweet lines the best.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can buy once used demo packs of many A's and K's at about $200-$250 below the normal sell price. Those are the best deal if you don't feel the need to test every cymbal before hand.
You got me thinking about the thin A customs now. I had A custom projection crashes and they were a bit much for anything outside of hard rock or metal. I imagined if they made them a lot thinner they'd be better for many more styles, and now I find out they make thins.

Where did you find the used demo packs? Color me interested.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where did you find the used demo packs? Color me interested.
You can find them on Ebay for $619-$629 pretty routinely. But that doesn't include state tax. Cascio Interstate Music often sold these demo packs in the past few years....typically at the best price of anyone. And you can find very nice used sets on Ebay in the $525-$600 range. Though from a private seller you don't have any warranty. With a demo-pack from a music store you should get some sort of factory warranty. I'm convinced the lighter A Customs could handle most anything from 50's blues, rock, progressive, jazz, folk. Maybe not heavy metal though....lol.

I don't see any used demo packs currently listed. But here's a link to the past week where several sold at $629 or less.....free shipping. New packs around $820/$850. The cheaper pack of the two is the one with the thin crashes.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=zildjian+a+custom+cymbal+pack&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Last edited:

Latest posts