Time for your Office Pics! It's been a while.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Steamy,

You're welcome. Glad you found that helpful.
If you have a gallery here at DFO (click on "Media" at top of any page) you can just upload the picture there and then just link to that picture. Pretty easy, actually...

...if you don't have one, you can start one. Just click on "Media" at the very top of the page to get started. =)

Elvis

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
65F8A9EC-905C-413A-B958-9D54C6AC83A0.jpeg F9D49D6D-E55E-4877-91DC-D411EA963354.jpeg Here’s mine from Sunday morning. PDP FS birch 22, 12, 14 with 6x13 Pork Pie Nyatoh snare. All Zildjian - 13” K/Z hats, 70’s 16” thin and med-thin crashes, and Rock 21 (70’s maybe?)

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
….oh man, 20/12/16! That's a great setup! I had an old Stewart kit with a Ludwig floor tom in those sizes.
I don't think I ever had a better time on a kit than I did with that one.
...and a set of Premiers! I bet those drum sound like a million bucks.
Great choice!

Elvis
I almost went with that setup when I purchased my new Ludwig's and was planning on a new CM snare 5x14. But, I started thinking about it and went with a 10" tom rather than snare. Just didn't want to spend the extra bucks at that time for both. I can still go for the 12,16 & 20 if I wish.

sherm

Johnny K

Reaction score
Uh... yeeees. That's what makes it fun right? My favorite thread on DFO, I LOVE looking at pics of everyone's gear. And yours is cool as well!
Me too. Lots of nice stuff to look at here.

This is mine. Gretsch Catalina Maple in Honey Amber Gloss and mess of Zildjian K's and a set of A hats. I am one 8" K splash from being done buying cymbals for a while.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

This is mine. Gretsch Catalina Maple in Honey Amber Gloss and mess of Zildjian K's and a set of A hats. I am one 8" K splash from being done buying cymbals for a while.

Boy! That kit layout is great. I keep trying to find a comfortable way to set up my kits with the two toms on a stand, but it makes my hh feel too far away. And since I play traditional grip, the way the hh cymbals overlap the first tom makes it hard to negotiate. But I keep trying!

GeeDeeEmm

Johnny K

Reaction score
Boy! That kit layout is great. I keep trying to find a comfortable way to set up my kits with the two toms on a stand, but it makes my hh feel too far away. And since I play traditional grip, the way the hh cymbals overlap the first tom makes it hard to negotiate. But I keep trying!

GeeDeeEmm
Thank you very much. It's been a lot of trial and error to get it where I want it. I've seen this kit layout being done by Jim Riley, and I thought I'd give it a try. The HH position looks worse in the picture than it really is. I have long arms and long legs and I play with long sticks, Buddy Rich and/or Jack DeJohnette's, so it didn't take long to get used to it. The beauty of this set up is that I can go to a more traditional 1 up 1 down very easily.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you very much. It's been a lot of trial and error to get it where I want it. I've seen this kit layout being done by Jim Riley, and I thought I'd give it a try. The HH position looks worse in the picture than it really is. I have long arms and long legs and I play with long sticks, Buddy Rich and/or Jack DeJohnette's, so it didn't take long to get used to it. The beauty of this set up is that I can go to a more traditional 1 up 1 down very easily.
YES. That's why I like a larger kit due to versatility. I learned with my older kit with 6 toms; you can down size anyway you want. The newer kit with three toms (the reason I didn't buy a new snare) so I could still have some versatility. And if I need more that that I can still use the older kit.

sherm

bonehead

Reaction score

Very nice...I used a lot of head combinations over the years including the reverse dot on my snare but never did get to a coated pinstripe...how do you like them and how do they compare specifically to clear pinstripes

Johnny K

Reaction score
Very nice...I used a lot of head combinations over the years including the reverse dot on my snare but never did get to a coated pinstripe...how do you like them and how do they compare specifically to clear pinstripes
I like the coated Pinstripes very much. I have them paired up with Diplomat clear reso heads. I like the warm phat sound of that the coated pins and dips get, and they can take a fairly high tune and still get a warm phat sound. I'm sure the 30 deg bearing edges on the Gretsch shells help get that sound too. I think it's a great combination for jazz/blues. I havnt tried clear Pinstripes. Call me strange, I may never. And it's purely an aesthetic thing. I dont want to see the inside of my drums shells. The snare heads are new, last 2 weeks. A Controlled Sound reverse dot batter/Diplomat Hazy snare. I had a coated Ambassador/hazy ambassador combo before. I am trying to make that drum as sensitive as I possibly can, but I think my limiter is the Cat Maple snare itself. My have to plunk down for the Gretsch USA COB snare that i've been wanting for some time. Just based on the two weeks i've been playing the controlled dot, I think i'm going to be going back to Ambassadors.

Latest posts