Time for your Office Pics! It's been a while.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What in the world is a "drum quartet?" I'm at a loss for how this would work, or why people would come to see it. Do you have any recordings? Really curious.

In any case (see the last pic), everybody seems to have adopted the serious affectations necessary for the occasion!

GeeDeeEmm
The last pic is taken as a joke, we were fooling around.

Some live footage:

And another:

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
25966CC9-1729-4D07-BAFF-47BF8FDD414E.jpeg
From last Thursday. Headlining Rickshaw Stop, SF. I enjoyed the “no diving” sign. From the stage there is a sign in the back of that big hanging PA speaker that advises you not to climb or swing on it.... The speaker stack/array to the left of the acoustic guitar are the drummer’s monitors.
Lord.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I literally just finished setting most of this kit up for the first time. Perfect time to see this thread.
The kit was basically gifted to me from neighbors that are moving. I did tell them it could be worth $, so I gave them a couple bucks.
I think the couple thought I was doing them a favor by taking it. It was their son's, and haven't seen daylight since the mid 80's. I still have to finish setting it up tomorrow, and put some new heads on it. I've seen these, in poor condition, go for quite a bit of bread. I'll play em for a few weeks, record em, and see if I can make a little change.
1983, 10 peice Artstar. Thoes toms are ridiculously large
20190906_010128.jpg

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, I never had a kit that was so well liked. Thanks!
Why is this kit so desirable?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I literally just finished setting most of this kit up for the first time. Perfect time to see this thread.
The kit was basically gifted to me from neighbors that are moving. I did tell them it could be worth $, so I gave them a couple bucks.
I think the couple thought I was doing them a favor by taking it. It was their son's, and haven't seen daylight since the mid 80's. I still have to finish setting it up tomorrow, and put some new heads on it. I've seen these, in poor condition, go for quite a bit of bread. I'll play em for a few weeks, record em, and see if I can make a little change.
1983, 10 peice Artstar. Thoes toms are ridiculously large View attachment 409350
My neighbors SUCK! They never gift me amazing drum sets...

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My neighbors SUCK! They never gift me amazing drum sets...
Ha! Most of mine do too. If they were next door neighbors, I would have gotten a bag of burning dog poop on my porch.
I just happened to talk to the right people, at the right time

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, I never had a kit that was so well liked. Thanks!
Why is this kit so desirable?
I would guess the main thing is people admiring the score, that you got a large amount of nice quality drums for cheap.

They are great drums. I’m hedging around the word “desirable” though because those tom sizes are not popular right now. It might take a little time to find the right buyer for them, at a decent price.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would guess the main thing is people admiring the score, that you got a large amount of nice quality drums for cheap.

They are great drums. I’m hedging around the word “desirable” though because those tom sizes are not popular right now. It might take a little time to find the right buyer for them, at a decent price.
Gotcha. Yeah, that's not a kit I'd like to take on gigs with me, with a surgically repaired back. I've been checking ebay, just to see it's value.
I've only seen 1, or 2 of these kits for sale, at ridiculously high prices.
Don't get me wrong, that was the best score I ever got' and I'm super grateful!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
1983, 10 peice Artstar. Thoes toms are ridiculously large View attachment 409350
When I saw Cobham in '86 he had a 9-piece kit like that. Different finish, though.
When I lived in Bremerton in '85 there was a heavy metal band that would practice next door to me and their drummer had that exact kit.
Same drums (except 24's), same finish. Just didn't have the two little "accessory drums" on the stand (at least, I never saw them).
Had Red Hydraulic heads all over that kit.
I can't believe he fit that kit in my basement. There was barely enough room 5 people to stand down there...without the kit!

Elvis

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol, I'm guessing he kept it down there.
They guy who I got the drums from, had first told me they were 24's. Oh well, not giving them back.
Anyway, how did they sound?
I have heads on em that are 30+ years old. I'm not about to tune em.
There is some cosmetic damage, but again, I'm not going to complain.
I'm thinking the good ol Ambassador/Emporer combo.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The band needed a new place to practice, so I lent them my basement....so yeah, they played down there. I would go down and watch them all the time.
Drums sounded pretty good. BIG sound. The "whumpy" hydro head sound fattened up the drums a bit and kept them from coming off too "attacky".
Use whatever head you want to on the batter side, but on the resonant side, I'd put coated DIPLOMATS on them.
Give them a really huge and resonant sound.
If you've never tried it, pick a drum and give it a shot.
I know it worked on my 10" Ludwig Classic Maple. Otherwise it would've been dry, dry, dry!

Elvis

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will give them a try. I've been using Ambassadors so long, it never gave Diplomats a thought on toms
Diplomats are crazy thin.
What the heck. I'll try it on the 8' and 16 first, to see if they'll work for all sizes

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I will give them a try. I've been using Ambassadors so long, it never gave Diplomats a thought on toms
Diplomats are crazy thin.
What the heck. I'll try it on the 8' and 16 first, to see if they'll work for all sizes
Cool...just remember to put the Diplomat on the bottom side of the drum.
Good luck. :thumbright:

Latest posts