Time for your Office Pics! It's been a while.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Diplomats are crazy thin.
You're probably thinking of the Diplomat weight snare side resonant heads. Those are "crazy thin." But the Diplomats used for toms are considerably thicker. You'll like them.

Back when I still worked in a music store, just on a whim, I fitted a 12" and 13" tom with clear Diplomat snare side heads. They sounded horrific. Very flappy, thin, and "whiney," with a particularly nasty after buzz. End of experiment.

GeeDeeEmm

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Why not? I'll give anything a shot. Ya never know unless ya try
One other thing I just remembered....Remo now makes a head called a Skyntone.
It's a Fiberskyn head, but its based on a Diplomat M5.
The difference here is the thickness of the head; Ambassadors are 10 mil thick, Diplomats are 7.5 mil thick, but the M5 is 5 mil thick.
Just a bit more than an Ambassador snare side (3 mil).
I've got a Skyntone on the front of my Ludwig bass drum.
Gives something akin to the same difference as I told you about before, but not quite as much. It also warms and fattens the sound a little, compared to a coated Diplomat.
Anyway, a little "after-dinner-snack" to chew on while you're figuring your your head situation.

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
You're probably thinking of the Diplomat weight snare side resonant heads. Those are "crazy thin." But the Diplomats used for toms are considerably thicker. You'll like them.

Back when I still worked in a music store, just on a whim, I fitted a 12" and 13" tom with clear Diplomat snare side heads. They sounded horrific. Very flappy, thin, and "whiney," with a particularly nasty after buzz. End of experiment.

GeeDeeEmm
While I was experimenting with heads for my Classic Maple kit, I once tried clear Weathermaster Medium (similar to Remo Diplomat) heads top and bottom on my rack tom and noticed a nasty metallic zing to the sound.
I went back to the coated Weathermaster Heavy on top and coated Medium on the bottom.
Much nicer.
I did once try an Ambassador snare side on the bottom of my 14" floor tom, too.
Turned it into a mini-tympani (without the pitch adjustment pedal).
Pretty cool sound and I played with the idea of getting another one for the 10" rack tom, but I soon grew tired of the effect and never went that route.
Instead, I just put the coated medium back on the floor tom. A much more "useable" sound, to me.

Elvis

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
I will give them a try. I've been using Ambassadors so long, it never gave Diplomats a thought on toms
Diplomats are crazy thin.
What the heck. I'll try it on the 8' and 16 first, to see if they'll work for all sizes
Put emperors or pinstripes over diplomats and you’ll have a bunch of toms that sound like mini bass drums. Those thick birch shells are perfect for that tone. I used to run that or CS black dots over diplomats. I wish I had the money to make an offer.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yesterday at the annual Tug Boat Festival on the Erie Canal, in Waterford NY.
waterford_20190907.jpg

only 5 mounted instruments: saw blade, cowbell, Cajun triangle, pandeiro & rivet cymbal; lots of hand percussion options, plus a washboard (not seen in pic)

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
They are crazy thin. I have them on all my bottoms. Even the snares have Hazy Dips. (hmm. 'nother good band name, The Hazy Dips)
Diplomat batter and Diplomat snare side are two different heads.
Diplomat batter is 7.5 mil thick, Diplomat snare side is 2 mil thick.
You can play on a Diplomat batter head, not so much on the Diplomat snare side (well, you can, but you'll dent the heck out of it and it'll probably break and tear in no time flat).

Elvis

Johnny K

Reaction score
Diplomat batter and Diplomat snare side are two different heads.
Diplomat batter is 7.5 mil thick, Diplomat snare side is 2 mil thick.
You can play on a Diplomat batter head, not so much on the Diplomat snare side (well, you can, but you'll dent the heck out of it and it'll probably break and tear in no time flat).

Elvis
Let me clarify. All my toms have Dip clears on reso sides and my snares have Dip snare side hazys. I can’t imagine someone would use diplomats for batters. The toms have coated pinstripes on the batters and the snares have Ambassador Vintage coated batters.

Latest posts