Time for your Office Pics! It's been a while.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, while it's picture time, I set up part of my 83 Artstar to start using. I'm very impressed by the sound. I'm trying a variety of head combos to see what I like best. So far coated G2/Coated Ambassador sound best for my taste. Gotta admit, they all sound great. Great attack, and no annoying overtones
20191224_115942.jpg
20191224_115924.jpg

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's brings a tear to my eye. Beautiful!
I just want a small, clean, and functional space to record drum tracks.
Due to a failed spinal fusion last year, I can't do the labor needed to obtain
my small goal. That doesn't mean I'll give up. After all this time, I'm just
starting to control my R foot, which has been dead for the time.
Hey, I got my kit set up, i get to practice, I'm learning to record, so I guess
it's a start.
Congrats on the studio. That should make for an exciting 2020

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
That's brings a tear to my eye. Beautiful!
I just want a small, clean, and functional space to record drum tracks.
Due to a failed spinal fusion last year, I can't do the labor needed to obtain
my small goal. That doesn't mean I'll give up. After all this time, I'm just
starting to control my R foot, which has been dead for the time.
Hey, I got my kit set up, i get to practice, I'm learning to record, so I guess
it's a start.
Congrats on the studio. That should make for an exciting 2020
Here is wishing you a fantastic 2020 meeting all your goals, Toast Tee.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is that a Star Bubinga?, and a Gretch Bell Brass? That's a beautiful kit regardless of the wood. If that is the Bell Brass, I had a few ops to play it. What a great sounding snare, and heavy as hell!
Thanks! It is a Star Maple and yes, the Gretsch USA Bell Brass. Heavy but sounds amazing.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It is a Star Maple and yes, the Gretsch USA Bell Brass. Heavy but sounds amazing.
I fall in love with snare drums all the time, and end up playing my 6.5 Supraphonic.
I'm almost positive that Gretch is the exception. I never played on a snare that sensitive, and warm. The only other snare that came close, and I want too, is the Star Reserve Bubinga/Walnut (also incredible) The rim shots on the Gretch is indescribable. I passed on a chance to get the 8 lug, for a good price, but didn't play it. Does the 8 lug sound as good, or close?
Right now I just changed my snare out, as the Supra wasn't fitting the mix.with the mix.
The snare I put on is the driest snare I own. It's an 8x14 Tama Bubinga SLP. I think Tama did a good job putting out an affordable snare line. I also have the Dynamic Bronze (nice, but not in the same league/sport as that Gretch!)
Do you have any recording with that kit?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I fall in love with snare drums all the time, and end up playing my 6.5 Supraphonic.
I'm almost positive that Gretch is the exception. I never played on a snare that sensitive, and warm. The only other snare that came close, and I want too, is the Star Reserve Bubinga/Walnut (also incredible) The rim shots on the Gretch is indescribable. I passed on a chance to get the 8 lug, for a good price, but didn't play it. Does the 8 lug sound as good, or close?
Right now I just changed my snare out, as the Supra wasn't fitting the mix.with the mix.
The snare I put on is the driest snare I own. It's an 8x14 Tama Bubinga SLP. I think Tama did a good job putting out an affordable snare line. I also have the Dynamic Bronze (nice, but not in the same league/sport as that Gretch!)
Do you have any recording with that kit?
Here is a short demo of the kit and the Gretsch snare.

I haven’t played the 8 lug drum. I bought the Gretsch after consulting with a few drummers that I trusted and I knew had played both the original Tama BB and the Gretsch USA.
I have to admit that this drum sounds absolutely wonderful. Ghost notes are crystal clear. Drum is warm and has body and presence like no other drum I have ever played. No volume threshold and cross-stick is clear and bright. Simply an outstanding drum.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I've played that Gretch, and it just has everything.
As I get better with my recording, I'm going to have to pick one up.
I've recorded with that Gretch on 1 tune, at at someone elses place, and it was perfect. The grace noted are ridiculous! You're also right about volume threshold, but that's my problem. It shouldn't take me too long to correct, but even my Supra gets too loud in my mix, so right now, I'm not ready for it.
Right now I'm using a 14x8 SLP with an Emporer reso head, and it's great, but I'm currently limited.
I've only been recording for real, for about 2 months. Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer.
I'm glad I held off on the 8 lug