Time for your Office Pics! It's been a while.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@Jordan Blue it is! The best 50 bucks I've spent in awhile. Sounds great and I dont need a separate stand.
I had a Tama Tymp Tom similar to that years ago. I was thinking about getting one of these and trying a different head to get less of a timbale tuning and more of a DW piccolo tom type sound.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok so theres a thread about whether or not kits should match. Normally I dont think that it matters but this would make me crazy as well. I dont mind the snare not matching. But the toms and bass need to.
I took care of the OCD issue with the Catalina Club Jazz kit. I got a used Renown 3pc kit 12/14/22 in Cherry Burst from a fellow DFO'er (shout out to daveplaydrum) and bought the 14x18 kick and fiberskyn logo head from DCP and new Fiberskyn Ambassdors over Coated Diplomats for the toms and Fiberskyn P3 kick batter from a local drum shop. Even got a Fiberskyn to put on the 4160 too. No more OCD.

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Drm1979

Reaction score
I took care of the OCD issue with the Catalina Club Jazz kit. I got a used Renown 3pc kit 12/14/22 in Cherry Burst from a fellow DFO'er (shout out to daveplaydrum) and bought the 14x18 kick and fiberskyn logo head from DCP and new Fiberskyn Ambassdors over Coated Diplomats for the toms and Fiberskyn P3 kick batter from a local drum shop. Even got a Fiberskyn to put on the 4160 too. No more OCD.

View attachment 429888

View attachment 429889
NICE!!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Great American Songbook gig last night at a radio/media studio, in front of a live audience, recording a podcast, and creating a YouTube 1:40:00 video. First time they have recorded a drum set in this new studio. I used my Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit with Paiste Masters Bluebird and Agop Signature flat rides. Lots brushes and 7a sticks. No rehearsal, no setlist, just jazz.

IMG_2149.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 429888

View attachment 429889
Never thought about that head combo.
Coated Diplomat resos. Are the toms dry and quick?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll get you a sound file. The floor tom resonates FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I might be doing it wrong, but seems to me you gotta tune this combo real high to get decent tone. I spend most of BP on Saturday with a drum key in my hand. I may have chose badly and I'm not talking about the resos.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The thinner you make the resonate head, the more the tom sounds like a tympani.....try it...put a snare side down there and see what happens to the sound of your floor tom.
It shortens the sustain, but it increases the presence of the resonance, thus the drum sound "bigger" but also a little "drier".

Elvis

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have BP with that kit Wednesday and BP with the other band using my Catalina kit on Thursday. The Catalina kit toms have clear pinstripes over clear diplomats. I think I will bring the rack and floor tom 'home' and A/B them on Thursday. I have a 22" Renown bass too. I can A/B two full kits. 12/14/22 with the COB snare. I have an Aquarian Superkick II in my Catalina bass and the Renown came with an Evans EMAD. Be nice to see how those two stackup against each other as well. The COB snare has a Fiberskyn Ambassador over a Hazy Ambassador and its sounding really good now. It'll be interesting.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the slopply playing, it was a long day at the salt mine. Contrary to my original reply, now that I have heard this head combo from the audience side, I like it. I recorded this with a Zoom 2Qn, no processing, Short of buying a 50's red sparkle RB kit, it's getting close to the Art Blakey sound i'm looking to get.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Just remembered, I posted a video last year in the video section about this.
The heads on the Orbitone drums are similar in performance to a Diplomat, they just have a tiny bit brighter attack.
...anyway...

P.S. - crank the volume, its a little quiet.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Played my monthly brunch gig with my eclectic jam trio today (and thankful for the gig as so many are currently concealed) and while the room was the same the kit was different... I brought my Punkinater copper lacquered maple 12", 16" and 20" with a new 7X14" Tama Copper Starphonic and for the first time in this room, my Bosphorus cymbals... a good time was had by all!!!

This just remindes me that I think I prefer 20" base drums to my normal 18's I usually play in this room. Though the 16" might have been a little overpowering!

20200315_131230 copy.jpg

20200315_130708 copy.jpg

Latest posts