Time for your Office Pics! It's been a while.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome bass drum! I really like the old silver screen movies, and it's so cool to try and make out the drums you see with all of the big bands from that era. I find myself pausing and trying to count the bass drum lugs.

This is just a cool photo I found when searching for "Sock Cymbals".

How cool is that rig!? Just roll the whole thing right off stage after the show!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I see an old Lo-Boy hi hat stand, a really nice Leedy snare drum, probably a Leedy single tension bass drum, too.
Those roll-around Console's (and now you know why we call the micro version a Rail Consolette) were meant for in house theatre kits that could be rolled on and off the stage as a single unit.
I don't think they lasted too long, though. Maybe the late 20's to the mid 30's?
Pretty cool kit.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That is so cool. What’s the sound and volume like on a 8x28 kick compared to, say, a trad 14x20?
I'm not DB Cooper, but I do own a 22x8 bass drum and I've noticed that compared to 22's of a more normal depth, the overall sound doesn't really change that much when you cut the drum in half.
The most noticeable change I hear is a drier sound, in that its not nearly as boomy.
In fact, the dryness achieved with this setup is comparable to my two 18x14's, but the overall sound is a bit darker.
Less muffling required for pop/rock situations....and its so SO MUCH EASIER to haul around and fit in your vehicle, if you don't have bags/cases.
My 22x8 is the only bass drum that's ever fit down in the footwell of my Ford Ranger pickup. :thumbup:

Elvis

DSCN2647.JPG

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, well the gong just looks like your bragging now doesn't it? ;)

BEAUTIFUL sets and I enjoy hearing the vids of you playing them as well. Great set up you have going on! Is that in your studio / office at the school or a home practice space?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since no gigs in the immediate future, the office has switched to demo recordings at the shed. Yamaha Club Custom, 12-16-22-5.5x14 matcher (10-14ft-18ft not shown) with Paiste Masters bronze. 19 and 20 Extra Thins, 22 Thin and 17 Dark Crash over 17 Dark Energy Crash for hats.

C32C4064-3598-4757-9BAA-2BCF98A5E634.jpeg

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, well the gong just looks like your bragging now doesn't it? ;)

BEAUTIFUL sets and I enjoy hearing the vids of you playing them as well. Great set up you have going on! Is that in your studio / office at the school or a home practice space?
Bragging!? Absolutely! :cool:

It’s at the school/teaching studio. School is finished for this school year and doesn’t start until after summer break, late August. So now the space is all mine.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My office is multifunctional.
I have my drum studio on one end and my VoiceOver studio on the other.
I do quite a bit of work in animated features and feature films ... and I play the drums. It all works quite well.
I can swap out kits fairly rapidly. I keep four complete cymbal sets in the back corner there.
I have a rackmount system of mic pres for the drums.
The VoiceOver studio runs an AVANTONE CV-12, a SHURE KSM32 that are run through a UNIVERSAL AUDIO APOLLO TWIN MKII. All systems are run into the iMac and LOGIC PRO X and FinalCut Pro. I run a second 4k display on the left side desk. That allows me to edit on the left side desk while tracking on the iMac on the right side desk.

View attachment 441231 View attachment 441229 View attachment 441230
Very nice set up! I am envious!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since no gigs in the immediate future, the office has switched to demo recordings at the shed. Yamaha Club Custom, 12-16-22-5.5x14 matcher (10-14ft-18ft not shown) with Paiste Masters bronze. 19 and 20 Extra Thins, 22 Thin and 17 Dark Crash over 17 Dark Energy Crash for hats.

View attachment 444316
IMO best drums Yamaha has ever made along with the Beech customs.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO best drums Yamaha has ever made along with the Beech customs.
Halldor, I’m inclined to agree with you. My early 80’s 9000GA pre-Recording Custom series achieves my personal favorite sound better than the Club Customs, but the CC is much more versatile overall.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is so cool. What’s the sound and volume like on a 8x28 kick compared to, say, a trad 14x20?
Thanks. I love it. It can require some special attention in certain settings, but it sounds awesome. The volume potential is amazing.
There was another thread here where somebody said how all drums have the same volume potential or some such business. I would agree for the most part, but I think there are a few exceptions. Try really stomping on a 28" bass drum and tell me that it doesnt rattle the windows.
I love having that potential with this drum. It's so cool for accents. I also feel like I can get a couple more district sounds out of this drum as well. I've been playing it for a number of years and at different tunings it can make some crazy noises.
I recently tuned it medium-low on the Reso and low on the batter and it could go from boomy to this really cool all tone/no attack note to the all-attack head "click" depending on how hard I kicked it.
I realize that you can do that with any drum, but they are so distinct and easy to find with this 28".
I will say that at some tunings it can easily be too much. But I have found a couple sweet spots that allow me to get a variety of sounds at usable volumes. The one I mentioned above is one of them.
I also really like it tuned up high. Such a cool and pure note.
The best thing about it is just how many sounds I can pull out of it. Its been really fun to work on getting it to fit into the music/setting. It's made me a better player of bass drums, in general.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was working on a "social distancing" video for my 80's Tribute band the other night and when it came to recording my track, I mused, "What if I just sat up at work after hours... we would be alone and look pretty cool as well". To my surprise the MD said, sounds great, lets do it!

I will post the video when it's done (it's making the rounds right now getting all the parts tracked) but in the meantime, it provided me a coue of cool office pics!!!

20200603_184646.jpg

20200604_093004.jpg

20200604_092121.jpg

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was working on a "social distancing" video for my 80's Tribute band the other night and when it came to recording my track, I mused, "What if I just sat up at work after hours... we would be alone and look pretty cool as well". To my surprise the MD said, sounds great, lets do it!

I will post the video when it's done (it's making the rounds right now getting all the parts tracked) but in the meantime, it provided me a coue of cool office pics!!!

View attachment 445930

View attachment 445934

View attachment 445935
I'll bet they sound HUGE in there!