Time to move on?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I honestly should have sold all my gear many years ago when I took a long break to focus on career building. Instead, I just lugged it all around with every move and had to find room for it. I just couldn't shake my attachment to the instrument. But I spent so much time and money restoring, upgrading, and updating things that I could've just bought a newer used kit. I'm happy with what I have now though.

When I returned to the drums, I was completely refreshed and came back with a completely different mindset. If you need a break, take a break. When you're ready to return, you'll know it.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Projects come and go and it can be very frustrating when you are not where you want to be when playing. I only have one acoustic kit and an electric kit for practice. I haven't played much at all this year due to the coronavirus and the fact that I live in a small house, have 4 kids and we really haven't gotten out much due to the virus. I sure wouldn't be trying to add any gear to what I have. I've decided just to go into a holding pattern for now. I have a kit so that if the opportunity comes back around to play I can without having to first buy another kit. I have a pad to practice on and keep my hands in shape. I still have the drive to play just not the time or space for now. If you still maintain any drive and desire to play then I would not get rid of everything you own. I'd keep at least one kit, keep up with some practice and eventually something may inevitably come up again. I like playing for myself as much as collaborating. And I'd be perfectly happy to get to a point where I could just go and jam with a couple friends with no expectations of gigging. I tend to think of drumming as my version of golf.

MrYikes

Reaction score
What I hated about gigging drums was the loading in and out, so after retirement I bought a violin, then two more, then a clarinet, then an oboe, then three alto saxes, then two tenor saxes, then a mandolin, then a cello, then trumpet, trombone, french horn, keyboard, three flutes and some other stuff. I like playing the other things but I always end up back on the drums. My interest wanes at times for some of those instruments, but all it takes is to pick one up and start playing. I like having fun.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken a year off here and there, most recently 2016. I'll say this: Drums and hardware are completely replaceable. Most cymbals, too. My only selling regret was when I sold the set of K Cons I'd been using for 8 years. I love the cymbals I have now but I never quite replaced that set, which was perfect.

I started playing guitar and writing songs and singing for a while. I still do it. Now I'm gearing up to record a whole album of my songs, and I'll be playing drums and guitar and singing and maybe more. If playing drums isn't fun now, find a musical outlet that refreshes you.

You already know deep down whether music is in your blood. If you have to do music, it'll come out somehow.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
What I hated about gigging drums was the loading in and out, so after retirement I bought a violin, then two more, then a clarinet, then an oboe, then three alto saxes, then two tenor saxes, then a mandolin, then a cello, then trumpet, trombone, french horn, keyboard, three flutes and some other stuff. I like playing the other things but I always end up back on the drums. My interest wanes at times for some of those instruments, but all it takes is to pick one up and start playing. I like having fun.
For me it was Tenor, Alto and Soprano saxes and a clarinet.. I 'get it'...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I can't think of a concise way to describe it, but I think it's time to sell off most, if not all, of my gear and do something else with life. I've taken breaks and put my gear in a corner a few times. The only time I play is when one particular friend wants to start a project, which inevitably fails, and asks me to play drums because everyone else in town is a flake. I usually don't like the music, and I play so infrequently that I'm not physically capable of playing music that I do like.

In the grand scheme of things, life feels like I'm running a restaurant and half my building is half full of really nice auto repair tools that I keep around because a friend occasionally needs his tires aired up. (Best generic analogy I could come up with.)

I'll let this post marinate a bit and see what y'all think.
Been there. Thinking along the same lines myself these days.
All I can add is, if you know its time to move on, probably best to do so.
Life is short. Live it.

Elvis

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think one should do whatever makes one happy. I'm seeing various opinions here and they're all valid, and this is a great topic. But only you know what makes you happy. It may not be an activity of selling or keeping or playing or not playing drums or other creative outlets. Sometimes introspection is called for. I hope you find peace of mind first and foremost. And have fun! Keep happy at it what ever it may be! Sometimes the decision to have joy is more important than the corresponding activities you engage in.

Last edited:

manoeuver

Reaction score
sounds like you need some jostling.
selling off your drum gear may do it.
it's also a great exercise in letting go.

you might want to put some effort into finding something to get your creative neutrons firing first though.

I tend to get into synths and synth music when the drums get stale or boring for me-- then when the synth music I'm making needs drums I'm right back in.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed this thread and reading about all the ups and downs everyone has had in their musical careers, mine included, although it dredges up a few sad times I'd rather forget.

So now that we're 30 posts in, I'd like to hear how the OP is feeling. Are you still ready to hang it up, or are you reconsidering?(or did you already quit and aren't even here anymore?) :icon_lol:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
No one can make this decision for you - you have to do what makes you happy. In recent years, I have become more inspired to play, and have developed a love for vintage drums. One thing this pandemic has shown me, however, is that I do not miss gigging at all, with the exception of playing in the pit for community theater programs, which I do each summer.

m_anderson

Reaction score
If it's in your blood, it will never go away. I didn't play any jobs last year. Only played three the year before. But if I get the urge to play and didn't have a kit, it would drive me nuts. Downsizing is good.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep the keepers, you know which ones, and sell or donate the rest. This is not a good time to be selling, but it sure feels good to pass on something to someone who truly appreciates it. I sold some cheaper gear for a killer price just so i could get the money and re head one of my keeper kits top n bottom. I still have too much stuff but i,ve even had a problem finding someone to give to...

jb78

Reaction score
If you have multiple sets/cymbals ... keep one set of drums and cymbals and sell the rest. If you’re still not into drumming in say five years then sell that stuff too.

KevinD

Reaction score
If you have multiple sets/cymbals ... keep one set of drums and cymbals and sell the rest. If you’re still not into drumming in say five years then sell that stuff too.
Yeah, if keeping one set doesn't take up too much space, I would just hang on to it. You never know when you will just want to go and play for 20 mins... it can be kind of rewarding to do that without having any commitment beyond that, just play what, and when you want to play.

jb78

Reaction score
Yeah, if keeping one set doesn't take up too much space, I would just hang on to it. You never know when you will just want to go and play for 20 mins... it can be kind of rewarding to do that without having any commitment beyond that, just play what, and when you want to play.
I will add that without a set on hand just in case, it would be challenging to assess whether you really want to get back into it.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, dudes. I probably could've included more info in the initial post, but I didn't want to corner y'all in my mental state. Funny enough, a friend further up the state messaged me on my abandoned Twitter account shortly after I started the thread. He hasn't had drums for years but recently came across a vintage set and a newer set, and restored both. His question was how do I usually sell gear. All he did was complain about not having a set or a place to play one. Once he got all that, "they're all just sitting in the way." Something else I've noticed is that after moving all my stuff in to my "new" place, I've realized that I liked it better empty. Maybe one of you is a psychologist who could analyze that, but a large empty room is far more appealing to me than having stuff.

I'll address a few common topics here:

Gear: Yes, I'd probably keep a small set and set of cymbals. I have one set of cymbals I'm attached to, and a couple snares, and a bass pedal. I do have a sentimental attachment to the drums (from another forum, but I recognize some screen names here too), but they're also taking up the most space. More on this later, but for reference: the one set could be 2 or 3 if you're creative. So selling is kind of an all-or-nothing thing. I did have other sets separate from this one, sold all of them, and it felt great.

Creative outlet, hobbies: I have been simultaneously learning ukulele, guitar and piano the past few months. I constantly build things, mostly woodworking but I'd prefer to get metal fabrication tools. I've got no shortage of landscaping/farming projects I could do at the house, and I am doing them. Lots of languages to learn (verbal, code), vehicles I want to fix/build, places to visit, animals to help... there's no shortages of replacements. If anything, they've become more interesting, and higher priority needs.

Music, career, gigging, spare time: I still listen to music all the time. That's not going to stop. Still going to tap on absolutely every surface I can touch, usually unconsciously. If we're ever allowed to go out and do things again, I'll be doing live sound reinforcement for a friend's company.

Happy: A few people mentioned doing what makes me happy. I consider that to be a very temporary, sparse emotion and not a state of being.

General plan from here: I started building some temporary shelving yesterday, because I need to organize other things that have taken too long to accomplish (beyond my control). I'll probably build more shelving than initially planned, so I'll see if that frees up enough space to shove everything in a corner, again. As mentioned, it's a bad time to sell. I still would like to have a couple sets for friends who have kids that want to try it, and random adults who "always wanted to play."

A couple specific comments:
@mtarrani - You obviously didn't move to my area of FL. Cost of living is brutal around here.
@kevin klever - I have a similar perspective for something other than drumming, which may be part of my thought process in wanting to move on and do other things, at least subconsciously. I really appreciate the perspective you brought up. There are a surprising amount of successful people I've met or known about that turned out to be "former drummers."

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a concise way to describe it, but I think it's time to sell off most, if not all, of my gear and do something else with life. I've taken breaks and put my gear in a corner a few times. The only time I play is when one particular friend wants to start a project, which inevitably fails, and asks me to play drums because everyone else in town is a flake. I usually don't like the music, and I play so infrequently that I'm not physically capable of playing music that I do like.

In the grand scheme of things, life feels like I'm running a restaurant and half my building is half full of really nice auto repair tools that I keep around because a friend occasionally needs his tires aired up. (Best generic analogy I could come up with.)

I'll let this post marinate a bit and see what y'all think.
Sell what you don't use and/or doesn't make you happy. A similar scenario from my own life: One of my best friends is in the military. We met years ago working at a gun shop. Coached each other's kids in soccer, etc. He's still in the military and we shoot matches and other recreational shooting together (action pistol and 3gun). However, his first gig in the military was as a sniper. I kept a long range precision rifle in my safe for most of the last 15 years in the event that I'd get the call to go shoot long range with him. Turns out, that never happened, mostly because there aren't many places around here to do that. Finally, I just sold the last one and moved on. Nothing lost and I was able to enjoy the money I had tied up in it on other things.

Latest posts