Time to move on?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said, especially the "happy" part. We always convince ourselves that if we could only get that next kit, or that faster car, or bigger house or bigger boat, I'll be happy. Well, that is temporal happiness at best. After awhile, there all just inanimate "things" that really just complicate our lives.

You have a lot of interests, so I'm guessing are you are good at a lot of things, but not great at any one thing. Your obviously not driven to be Buddy Rich. I'm sort of the same way. I'm not sure which is better actually, being great at one thing or being good at alot of things. It's a question I haven't been able to answer in my lifetime...

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a concise way to describe it, but I think it's time to sell off most, if not all, of my gear and do something else with life. I've taken breaks and put my gear in a corner a few times. The only time I play is when one particular friend wants to start a project, which inevitably fails, and asks me to play drums because everyone else in town is a flake. I usually don't like the music, and I play so infrequently that I'm not physically capable of playing music that I do like.

In the grand scheme of things, life feels like I'm running a restaurant and half my building is half full of really nice auto repair tools that I keep around because a friend occasionally needs his tires aired up. (Best generic analogy I could come up with.)

I'll let this post marinate a bit and see what y'all think.
Do you feel like this, then have a 180, and go all in again, or do you really feel you're done? Maybe need a break???
Have you been thinking about this a while?
You have been great around here. I'd assume IF you decide to give it up, you wouldn't be around.
It's your decision, and hopefully you do what's going to make you happy.
Whatever you decide, good luck.
Personally, I hope you stick around.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Stopping in again, because being productive at work today is not going to happen.

@Josh Vibert Yeah... that's another expensive hobby that I don't have the time to enjoy either. It takes up a lot less space though. :icon_lol: If I'm selling drums I don't use, then it's all gone.

@JimmySticks Yes and no. I was great at a particular sport, and now light exercise results in re-injuries. It's also a useless life skill to be proficient at that level. Some of my interests are because I was terrible at them, and I didn't like that. (Bad at math, got an engineering degree.) Other interests I haven't gotten to a level I think I should be at for life in general, or even started. (I don't plan to be a master welder, but I should be competent and I don't know how to weld at all.) No, I don't want to be Buddy Rich. Drums was my fun thing when I started, and I intentionally chose not to go to school for it. My buddy says I'm on par with the best guys at his school, and they're constantly practicing and studying. I've met incredibly talented and well studied dudes playing basic stuff for their career. Sure they sneak some slick stuff in there, randomly at will if they want, but the general listener doesn't notice. Seems like the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and I could use that input to get more output elsewhere. But my ability to learn just about anything is probably something I've mastered, and I enjoy testing that ability.

@Toast Tee Nah, I don't really flop back and forth 180 on things. I've had several breaks, and have thought about this before. It's been a long slide in one direction. I appreciate the kind words about my presence. I don't consider myself to be around as it is. :icon_lol: (Had over 10k posts on other forums, in comparison.) If I sold everything, I'd still occasionally want to restore a drum or two so I'd probably pop in. I get what you're saying though. I've seen a lot of people disappear forever as well.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty much there myself. The Covid thing is close down any gigging I can foresee in the possible future for me. Planning on retiring next year, and moving to the Sierras. So I’d be starting all over again, if I can find a gig. Sold my Roland practice it this weekend. Just no need for it. If something would actually come up, I’ll play real drums to learn it. Selling off the small stuff.The final blow will be do I sell my Slingerlands? I’ve got an orphan set
32B7EE72-3ECD-4E50-B39F-2953C76118EA.jpeg
that will do just about any gig I can imagine, but the Slingerlands are such a pretty and awesome sounding set. I will not be able to replace them, particularly for the small amount I have in them. Decisions, decisions.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much there myself. The Covid thing is close down any gigging I can foresee in the possible future for me. Planning on retiring next year, and moving to the Sierras. So I’d be starting all over again, if I can find a gig. Sold my Roland practice it this weekend. Just no need for it. If something would actually come up, I’ll play real drums to learn it. Selling off the small stuff.The final blow will be do I sell my Slingerlands? I’ve got an orphan set View attachment 453204 that will do just about any gig I can imagine, but the Slingerlands are such a pretty and awesome sounding set. I will not be able to replace them, particularly for the small amount I have in them. Decisions, decisions.
Those, you go to the grave with, period...

Besides, there's nothing to do in the Sierra's... :-D

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those, you go to the grave with, period...

Besides, there's nothing to do in the Sierra's... :-D
Nevada City Actually has a pretty active music scene! Even an active ukulele group. And yes, I play that as well.But it’s small venues.If I have to store by Drums in the garage to wherever we move, I’m afraid the weather will be rough on the pearl wrapping. It would be an absolute crime to mess up is a set this pretty!
November 1964 stamped. I’m the second owner!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
And,theres lots to do in the Sierras!
[/QUOTE]

Tongue planted firmly in cheek my friend! :)
[/QUOTE]
Never been there,Jimmy?
Nv City is hopping music wise and has for several decades.
Plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do.
No other place like the Sierras from Yosemite to Mt. Shasta.
Beautiful, relaxing,Crash,youll dig it!

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And,theres lots to do in the Sierras!
Tongue planted firmly in cheek my friend! :)
[/QUOTE]
Never been there,Jimmy?
Nv City is hopping music wise and has for several decades.
Plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do.
No other place like the Sierras from Yosemite to Mt. Shasta.
Beautiful, relaxing,Crash,youll dig it!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's to healthy for me. All that hiking, biking, climbing, canoeing, swimming, kyaking, fresh air etc. just makes me tired and sore. :wacko: :-D

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with those that say keep just enough to play if you get the itch and sell the rest. To me at least, it's depressing having gear that just sits in bags on shelves. There are those that are fortunate enough to play a large number of gigs a year and can swap out kits so that all/most get used. For me, I have my go-to kit that I use for practicing on my own and for gigs, and then I have one spare kit. Sold off the rest of what I had and it felt great - no regrets.

Thing is too - think about how many times you have JUST bought something new and find yourself looking at pictures in the DFO or Reverb sales section, and the wheels start turning! There is ALWAYS gear out there that we would love to have, and there always will be.

Best wishes on your new adventures!

Germandrummer

Reaction score
My story: I 'm 40 now and quit drumming about twelve years ago (after ten years) then started restoring classic Mercedes in my sparetime. I did not have any professional background concerning cars and learned quite a lot mechanics, bodywork and especially spray painting by myself. It was fun for years. Suddenly I had a wife, a house two boys and in the meanwhile prices for 1970s Mercedes and parts exploded and I was diagnosed with cancer last year. The idea of spending a fortune and most of my spare time just to keep an old car running did not have the thrill it had once before. After getting out of hospital, I bought an old Sonor S-Class and liked drumming like I never did before! Now I can be creative while playing the drums and use my car skills by restoring old kits and it is wayyyy cheaper than any old car. Couldn't be better.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nevada City Actually has a pretty active music scene! Even an active ukulele group. And yes, I play that as well.But it’s small venues.If I have to store by Drums in the garage to wherever we move, I’m afraid the weather will be rough on the pearl wrapping. It would be an absolute crime to mess up is a set this pretty!
November 1964 stamped. I’m the second owner!
You can leave the RK's with me. I'll be sure to treat them with a lot of TLC. ;)

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
UPDATE: I built a set of shelves (8'x2', four shelves) for temporary storage/organization. The drums took up more than half of it, so I built another set of shelves yesterday (8'x22", four shelves). Once that's full, the drums will be out of sight, and I'll see how I feel. That's not all of the gear I have, but the stuff that's not packed away can be sold. I'll have to see what floor space I've regained after I pack up the second shelf.

@crash That's a nice kit, dude. Good luck with your decision. Any good resources online for self taught ukulele? I need to start that back up.

@Germandrummer I hope all is going well with the cancer treatment. The cars I'd be working on are more tools than restorations, so monetary losses will be minimal. I also wouldn't be opposed to parting with them and replacing them with nothing. Nothing meaning a random creation of my own, for fun.

@Polska Just in case you or anyone else missed it, I'll repeat: My drum collection is essentially down to one set. Yes, it's a large one. I didn't intend for it to get that size, but occasionally non-repeat size orphans in a matching finish would pop up for cheap, so I'd buy them. At any rate, if I sold any of it, then I'd sell all of it.

Johnny Blonde

Reaction score
From someone who’s been through this a few times over the years my advice is:

• Sell your drums if you feel it’s time. Maybe even sell them a bit under market price to an aspiring musician. Pass them along.
  • Keep your 2 or 3 favorite cymbals. Cymbals are easily stored and nearly impossible to truly replace down the line.
  • Never stop creating. Try painting, pick up another instrument, do woodworking, built a shed, plant a garden, take up cooking, write a book - something. This is important.
  • Keep consuming art. Listen to music, go to museums, go to plays, read.

You’ll be back - or you won’t. But the lack of a creative outlet is what will start to haunt you if you don’t keep that as part of your life.

The previous statement is so true.
"the lack of a creative outlet is what will start to haunt you if you don’t keep that as part of your life."

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Still cleaning up the space. I now have home renovation objects sitting where the drums used to be. Feels cleaner. Listed some practice pads and other things for sale.

@Elvis I'm about as far as you can get from Hawaii in the US, but moving is starting to look good. ;)

@Johnny Blonde I've got plenty of creative outlets in general. I think learning other instruments would help more at this point.