Time to replace kick batter

tstinson

Reaction score
Hi Boys;
Figuring that since the old head I have on my kick dates back at least to the Reagan administration, I'm feeling it's about time for an upgrade.
I'm playing a Slingerland 20" (1963), playing old rock, specifically Allman Brothers, so I'm in search of a vintage sound. Have always been a Remo guy. Have them on the rest of the kit, but I'm open to recommendations. I know there are a few more options out there -- duh -- since the last time I did this.
Thanks

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few fellas who swear by Coated Ambassadors with a towel between pedal and head .

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Butch Ambassador batter wide open!
R.jpg

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MV medium. I put one on a ‘60s Slingerland bass recently and it works with no fiddling. Dumb luck, a friend gave me a set. I didn’t care for them on toms and had this 20” laying around for years and gave it a shot.
Coated Ambassador will never not work too!

Phil

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably a P3. Coated is good, as is the clear. Haven't tried smooth white on batter side but hear good things. Would like to try white suede if they appear in Aus, I really like the WS heads.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw a new one out there for consideration. The Ambassador X.

It's single ply 1200 mil instead of 1000 mil. The Slingerland kit I bought last year had a 20" bass drum with a Ludwig 1400 on it. That is a 1400 mil single ply head. It sounded amazing with that head. Remo doesn't make a 1400 mil bass drum head in single ply, but they do make a 1200. That extra weight seemed to drop the note a bit and smooth out the tone, but it was still lively.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't know they made the Ambassador X in bass drum sizes. Might be a nice middle ground.
Coated Ambassador requires some form a of muffling (unless you want a "barking" sound); Powerstroke 3 has a controlled sound out of the box. Not really vintage, but it just works.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aquarian Modern Vintage....I like them a lot on toms...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't forget "paint can" in bass drum it does "something"..
(lol old simon phillips joke..)

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO, I think kick heads sound better and better, right up to the day they die. After I change them, I miss the broken-in tone for months.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw a new one out there for consideration. The Ambassador X.

It's single ply 1200 mil instead of 1000 mil. The Slingerland kit I bought last year had a 20" bass drum with a Ludwig 1400 on it. That is a 1400 mil single ply head. It sounded amazing with that head. Remo doesn't make a 1400 mil bass drum head in single ply, but they do make a 1200. That extra weight seemed to drop the note a bit and smooth out the tone, but it was still lively.
FWIW, 1 mil = 1 thousandth of an inch.

I haven’t used one, but think the Sounds Like A Drum guys use G12s (or whatever they are) on their bass drums a bit too.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
another vote for the CS Dot

tstinson

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input gents, A lot of variety but it's better to have more feedback than otherwise.

Going to leave the port on this one, due to some intricate paint work on the rest head. I'll chew on all this for a while and get back with my findings.

little rock

Reaction score
I have a PS3 on my USA Customs and emads on my Catalina and Slingerland 3ply, all 18”era and they all sound great. Never used anything but Remo batters except a couple of Gretsch heads.