Tiny Snare

FatherTime

Reaction score
Just for fun, I made a Tiny 8" snare. Wow! Much harder to make than a 13" or 14". The 8" parts were the smallest I could find. I couldn't find any snare side heads or hoops so I made use of what I had. It's playable, but the stick angle is a little steeper than what I'm used to due to the closeness of the rims.

Attachments

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Looks cool as an accent snare. I think that’s about as small as you can get without it just being a bit of a novelty.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
That's a baby beauty!
I can only imagine it has a crispy tight attack like a rim-shot
cutting through the mix, for a snare drum that size.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
Very cool and great job! So they make wires for 8" drums?
Good question.
I once looked inside a kids snare drum and it had a snare wire "brush"
attached to the inside wall of the drum shell so that the wire touched
resting on the resonant head.

The 8" snare drum here made by FatherTime is on a professional level,
it's not a kids toy... so I guess he probably had a custom snare wire
made for his drum. That drum is a beautiful design.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my Yamaha 8 incher from my Club Jordan cocktail kit. They are hard to find, but Remo makes an 8" Ambassador snare side. I bought a couple from Fork's before Gary sold to Steve Maxwell. I would think a call to Remo would help you find some.

20201021_095745.jpg

Attachments

FatherTime

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did not know they made any snare side heads in 8" size. but then again I did not do an exhaustive search. It has an 8" snare wire like the one in LarryJ's post. Although I opted for the 6 lug hoops. The 5" seemed like there wouldn't be enough room for the throw-off, but I see on his snare there is room. @drumgadget, some jingles might make for an interesting sound. I made this stave shell out of leftover pieces I had on hand. The dark wood is Walnut and the light wood is Poplar. Rounding the inside was the most difficult part. I did the bearing edges by hand(slight round-over) and very shallow snare beds. I took a video, but it's an MP4.