Tips For Cleaning Nickel Hardware

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. A buddy just picked up a SWEET early-'60's Luddy Hollywood with all-nickel hardware. He attempted to clean a rim (NOB) with his normal chrome cleaning techniques and didn't experience the level of success he hoped for. What would be a good cleaner/technique to use to clean nickel plating?

Looking for recommendations to pass along to him. He's not a member here which is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Ryan

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Cape Cod polishing cloths do a really nice job on nickel Ryan.

Mike

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
rculberson said:
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. A buddy just picked up a SWEET early-'60's Luddy Hollywood with all-nickel hardware. He attempted to clean a rim (NOB) with his normal chrome cleaning techniques and didn't experience the level of success he hoped for. What would be a good cleaner/technique to use to clean nickel plating?

Looking for recommendations to pass along to him. He's not a member here which is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Ryan
Yes, there is an extensive discussion of this, with many materials and options presented, somewhere in this section. I might even have started it.

I did, and the OP here should read it. There are caveats having to do with damaging techniques.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never tried the Cape Cod cloths but have had the best results of the various things I have tried when using Simichrome metal polish.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMG_7341.JPG So I went to my local hardware which was supposed to carry Cape Cod cloths but alas, no more. They suggested No. 7 metal polish. I think it's pretty darned good and easy!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would you use metal polish on a vintage drum jsut to clean it? a polish always slightly arasive no? I'd see the use if you wanted to remove scratches, but for cleaning? I'd use something lighter that removes fingerprints and dirt and leave it alone.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used the vibrating tumbler and fine walnut shells and worked great. But the rims are another story. I would like to know for rims also . I picked up the tumbler for under $50 and was worth every cent. Ran the hardware in tumbler for a couple of hours and came out great.
Wayne

Attachments