Tips for loosening "stuck" lug mounting screws?

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took apart that 12x22 Leedy bass drum I recently acquired - all but two of the lugs. Each of the lugs has one mounting screw that simply will not budge, which of course means I can't remove those two lugs from the shell. I stopped when I saw that my screwdrivers were starting to chew up the slots on the caps of the screws. These are on tight, and will not move.

Any tips out there, for loosening stuck mounting screws on a vintage drum?

(I'd strongly prefer not to trash the existing lugs and/or screws, leaving me with the task of drilling out and retapping the threaded portion of the lug, or hunting down appropriate replacement lugs.)

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I would apply a drop of penetrating oil to each, wait a little while, then with an assistant's help...
Support the shell with the offending lug against a piece of 2x4. A few careful blows with a small hammer should break it free.

2 scents - bo.

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
spay alittle WD40 on the screws near the threads, wait a few mins, then reinsert the screwdriver in the slot. make sure the screwdriver is completely straight and in line with the screw. wrap a thin layer of cloth around your hand, apply as much downward pressure as u can, and spin that b!tch out! give it hell!

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
As said, easy hammer taps usually helps. Not hard enough to damage the screw slot, but enough to shock the screw. Lots of little taps better then big taps. With help if needed, little taps while trying to back the screw out.

Used this method on aluminum mounts / screws at work for years.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
worse comes to worse drill center in put in another screw and take it out

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far - and TIA for any new ones to follow.

Not only will it be significantly easier to do a decent refinish on the shell (the original paint job is just too far gone) if I can remove the remaining lugs, but there aren't any swivel nuts in the lugs - it's a single-tension shell, and the extended tension rods pass through the empty lugs to a threaded claw on the other side. I'd love to try setting this up for separate tensioning for each head - I think the drum will sound good enough to warrant the upgrade. Can't do any of that if I can't get the lugs off of the shell.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A quick update: a couple of dozen very light hammer taps to each screw did the trick quite nicely. Thank you!

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Get some KROIL! It ain't cheap but it is the best store bought penetrating oil made.

Slawman