Tips for removing Slingerland chrome covering

David Canada

Reaction score
Any tips for removing Slingerland chrome covering from a 70s tom? I understand it can be difficult as it is actually metal wrap rather than plastic.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I removed it from a couple of toms with a metal putty knife basically fell off by itself. But I have heard they can be difficult no way to know just have to go slow if it starts ripping up the outer ply you’ll be in for some patchwork.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably wise to use a lot of heat. One nice thing about metal vs. acetate is you don't have to worry about it bursting into flame if the heat gun lingers in one spot for too long.. Wear gloves though as the wrap will undoubtedly get pretty hot to the touch. This same applies to removing cortex which can also be a bear to remove but likewise isn't particularly flammable.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I removed it from a couple of toms with a metal putty knife basically fell off by itself. But I have heard they can be difficult no way to know just have to go slow if it starts ripping up the outer ply you’ll be in for some patchwork.
I have a 5x14 shell sitting here that I really want to remove the wrap on, but I'm scurred! No way to really know, like you said.

moonbabie

Reaction score
Hey David. Yes I removed 4 drums worth and i couldn’t believe how easy it was.It seems like they didn’t glue the entire shell.. just top and bottom.what I did is I used a heat gun and a putty knife the hardest part was seperating the overlapped ends of the wrap from each other which is what the knife was for.at times I used a pliers to hold the wrap so I wouldn’t get burned. I heated the outside of the wrap not the shell don’t rush it.dark spots on the shells are where the glue was applied.(see pics)good luck

Attachments

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your doing a rewrap and you have enough room go right over it. I did it on a couple of ludwigs worked like a charm. For the doubters and skeptics, remember the Factory Black Panther over the Citrus Mod and Psych red?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very difficult, Goo Gone and Goof Off did nothing. I used pliers, a scraper, a heat gun and spent about 8 hours over 3 days. Be careful, the metal is stiff, very sharp and gets hot!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If your doing a rewrap and you have enough room go right over it. I did it on a couple of ludwigs worked like a charm. For the doubters and skeptics, remember the Factory Black Panther over the Citrus Mod and Psych red?
I feel like a sparkle wrap over chrome would be too thick, what do you think?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no problem with Bermuda Sand over the metal chrome on the Colosseum snare. Everything fit fine , head wasn’t tight. The Chrome or polished stainless wrap , whichever it is , is fairly thin.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I've removed that stuff from a bunch of drums. Some of them came off easily with no effort, where the glue was dried and crumbly. Some of them were a pain in the butt, where the glue was sticky and gummy.

Go slow, use heat and pliers. You'll need a stiff putty knife and a thin putty knife. Maybe a razor scraper.