Tips up? In your stick bag...

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
Tips up , or tips down.
In YOUR stick bag.

Description or pictures accepted.

..or maybe your an anarchist with sticks facing every-which-way.

(Thxjda)

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Down...because if you spinter the stick at all its usually around the shoulder(?) of the stick...I've gotten some splinters under the nail because I reached for a stick and sort of missed. If i have different sizes I try and keep them apart by pockets

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Always Tip Down. The reason?

If you break or drop a stick, you reach into the stick bag (mine is always tied open to the floor tom) and grab a stick by the butt , and because the tip is down and the butt is up, you can immediately start playing, you dont have to juggle the stick in your hand. I've dropped a stick, and grabbed one from the bag and no one in the band even knew.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Tips down. I’ve been using 3 different wood types of the same size stick so I have the butts marked. R for red hickory, H for hickory and M for maple. Makes them easier to see on a dark stage. I do have one pair of nylon tipped and those are tip up.
F20CC171-5361-4CFC-8033-85247040DDB6.jpeg

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tips up in the bag, for easy identification...though I may start doing tips down whenever I can't put my "reach for a spare" sticks in the lugs of the bass drum for whatever reason.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both. Three of the ones I use the most are down in three different bag compartments. The others are up, showing the type of beads.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Tips down in my bag. It's easy to identify them because I only have two types of sticks to identify - used and new. I've settled on just one stick that I use for everything I play these days. The used ones go in the big pocket on the left and the new ones go on the right. Drop a stick, grab with ease and keep playing.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a tennis bag with all my inventory and such, select what I'll use for the gig. load up the small bag(2 pr) on my ft and a stick holder (1 pr) on my hat stand, Ready to go Handles up!

IMG_7966.jpg

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Always Tip Down. The reason?

If you break or drop a stick, you reach into the stick bag (mine is always tied open to the floor tom) and grab a stick by the butt , and because the tip is down and the butt is up, you can immediately start playing, you dont have to juggle the stick in your hand. I've dropped a stick, and grabbed one from the bag and no one in the band even knew.

This!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tips up at gigs. I don't play that hard and even if I had to lose 1-2 seconds to grab a stick & flip it, it's okay......

At the house, I do tips down. Since I have multiple pairs and my boys also have their own dedicated sticks in the same bag, we write our initials on the butt ends so we know which sticks are whose. Also, sometimes I have sticks that are different but similar thicknesses so I mark them and know which is a matched pair......

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've started tips down recently and marking the butts of the ones that are different style, I have one pair of Nylon tip and one pair of 5A with a small acorn tip, the rest are large oval

rock roll

Reaction score
Depends on the stick.if I have the same stick in wood tip and nylon tip then I want them up so I can see the different tips.
I mostly play the promark Japanese oak or my vintage regal tip 7a's.
The dipped zildjjian sticks I'll use for hot outdoor gigs.to help me keep a grip when my hands get sweaty.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also like to keep a pair that I don't care about so much for the drummer who needs to borrow a pair.
image.jpeg

rock roll

Reaction score
Tips down in my bag. It's easy to identify them because I only have two types of sticks to identify - used and new. I've settled on just one stick that I use for everything I play these days. The used ones go in the big pocket on the left and the new ones go on the right. Drop a stick, grab with ease and keep playing.
What type of stick? Just curious.

Latest posts