To felt or not to felt

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
So how many people on here put top felts on there cymbals? I never do recording and like the mobility and look better with out given it doesn’t matter mobility wise given I use dw hardware so I can adjust the movement.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 out of 3 I do

you can adjust the tilt of the right and left cymbal precisely with the top felt and wing
third cymbal low by the floor tom not as crucial just hangs there

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I’m tossed my ocd tells me to do it lol but I prefer none the struggle is real lol

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I use Camber T-tops, so no top felts for me except the hi hat clutch of course. I got tired of dropping wing nuts or the top felt, plus it's really not necessary to hold the cymbal on and it's less likely to crack if it's not held tightly in place.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a bunch of Yamaha cymbal stand sleeves for all my Ludwig and Gibraltar stands. These sleeves are longer and threaded on the inside, so they stay put on the stands during setup, tear down, and transport. With that done, no top felts or wing nuts.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Metal washers under the wing on top of the top felts too.. gently but assuredly.
Jazz drummer in battle can never be too sure of anything and must be prepared for everything.

Felts 001.JPG

Felts 001.JPG Felts 002.JPG Felts 003.JPG Felts 004.JPG Felts 005.JPG

Last edited:

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Metal washers under the wing on top of the top felts too.. gently but assuredly.
Jazz drummer in battle can never be too sure of anything and must be prepared for anything.

View attachment 471373

View attachment 471373 View attachment 471374 View attachment 471375 View attachment 471376 View attachment 471377
I always use them but they’re trimmed to size so the cymbal moves freely. Do not tighten down at all. I trim the height of the plastic sleeves so the wing nut cannot be tightened down too far. I just got used to the look of it I guess.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't use top felts on my rides or crashes because I don't want to restrict their movement. I do use top felts on my 22" Swish Knocker and 17" China. I don't have them tightened down much, just enough to reduce the distance they swing after I crash them, since I tend to crash them and then immediately ride them afterwards. And of course I use felts on both sides of my top hi-hat.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless you're trying to prevent a cymbal from hitting a wing nut, which on rare occasions can be a concern, I don't think it matters.

I believe I've usually gone without top felt, but just went back to look and saw that I currently have top felt on all my cymbals. I think I do just to have a place to keep the felts. Those things have a nasty habit of getting lost, and there's little worse than being unable to find a felt to use on the bottom. You might as well keep a spare on top, and assuming you're using wing nuts (which I haven't always done) it's not extra work to put a felt on top.

I do keep the tops loose. I can't prove it, but it seems wrong to me to strictly tighten cymbals. But whether or not there's a little piece of felt on the top is not something I've ever worried about.

Browny

Reaction score
I didn’t for years not sure if I even have the wing nuts from my old stands.

I bought a new pair of Pearl flat based stands fairly recently and I’ve been using them since then, possibly partially because I don’t want to lose them.

They’re quite small and I’m not noticing them while playing, there’s no change to the action of the cymbal, suppressing the movement or anything like that.

I’ve been using a ProMark sizzler about 50% of the time too so need the nut to hold that on (although it drives me crazy when it flicks around and gets caught on the rod/nut... maybe I need to buy another 22” old A and drill it for rivets?...)

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use them. The nut and washer keeps stuff from getting lost in transport, and the extra felts thing is good too. Plus saves my stick from accidentally getting chewed up on the threads

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Speaking of flat based stands does any use the dw ones? I’ve been looking to get some for my stencil kit.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of flat based stands does any use the dw ones? I’ve been looking to get some for my stencil kit.
I've been using the DW flat base as my primary cymbal stands for a long time. I use the 6700 series straight stands for my main "rock" kit (26/14-16-18), hitting HARD, and have never had any problems. I use the full ultralight set (6000 series, snare, cymbal, hihat) for smaller gigs -- think coffeehouse, small group jazz, or any kind of "background" music. Never had a problem there, either.