To port, or not to port, that is the question!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends, but for a modern more versatile sound, I like a port which dries out the sound a bit and allows me to bury the beater more easily. It allows for a much easier "smack" sound. I do love a good boomy full reso kick too though! For me, a ported head covers more territory musically. YMMV.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What size is your kick? My two kicks are an old Yamaha with that big ass hole in the reso and my gretsch USA that has no hole. It’s only 14x22 so it probably doesn’t need a port.

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
I prefer non-ported for the tone of shell. To be totally up front I have a 2" port in the bottom center of my reso heads, but its sole function is to feed a jumper cable to two internal microphones.
Aquarian Force I Clear on batter and Aquarian Modern Vintage with a single felt strip for reso and an Evans EQ pad give me all the muffling I need.

Reso&2%22Port.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I played - when I use to kick constantly with no front BD head eventually my shin
(long sets in bars) I noticed began to ache.
That and other things made me change to full front.
about 1976 )

I'd savor the full dynamic range of that 18x22 LRod

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
18x22 Classic Maple
Well most pros with that size port their’s but they are miked and playing live. If you’re not doing that then why port it? But it is easier to adjust muffling inside the drum when there is a port or if you’re using some kind of heads where you know you won’t need to adjust muffling inside then you won’t need a hole

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've done both, but by the time someone adds an emad, a PS3 or superkick, felts, pillow, etc. the resonance argument is moot for the most part (same for virgin bass love).

I like a ported head because
1. I have poor technique & bury my beater a bit & I like the feel.
2. I can't stand to see upset & confused soundmen.
3. I added an Evans pillow not because I needed it for sound, but simply because I got tired of my front man kicking over my stand. So I just throw my D112 in my bass when we run our own sound.

But if it feels right to you to have a non ported head or you just like the look, I say go for it.

Last edited:

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer non-ported for the tone of shell. To be totally up front I have a 2" port in the bottom center of my reso heads, but its sole function is to feed a jumper cable to two internal microphones.
Aquarian Force I Clear on batter and Aquarian Modern Vintage with a single felt strip for reso and an Evans EQ pad give me all the muffling I need.

View attachment 510845
Nice setup. I have a May internal mount with an Audix D6 and a Rode Lavalier inside. I like non-ported. My YMCA bass has three vent holes. The bottom-most vent gets the female Mini XLR. The Rode is wireless as I just insert the mic end through another vent hole if wanted.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Port, all day. It's so much easier to mic and play with the amount of muffling. I'm talking live and rock n roll, of course. I've never been happy with the way a boomy bass drum sits in a live mix.

I've used a non-ported bass drum in the studio with just some towels touching the batter head(both sides) and was very pleased, but that's generally not my sound.

Dan

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
mic's, wires, mic stands, eq's and monitors that's not my business. not my line of work. somebody else's job

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
At the moment I use 14x22 with two Ambassadors, the front with a 5" port and a felt strip. Additional muffling varies; it's a very felxible setup for mic'ed playing/recording.

by the time someone adds an emad, a PS3 or superkick, felts, pillow, etc. the resonance argument is moot for the most part (same for virgin bass love).
With a PS3 there is still a big difference between hole or no hole. Without a port , there is a real tone to the sound. I used two PS3 without port on a 16x22 for acoustic gigs for a long time. With a port there would have been a lot less low end. Even with a pillow in there, which does take a way low end, a complete head still adds that tonal element. With a mic mounted internally you get attack as well, but normally you can't adjust the mic or the muffling.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As important as Sound is; the feel as well is what I'd miss.
It's like seeing the kick (the bass drum) as a separate entity of the Kit
that's just not my mind set (I understand it (did it) and the style of it and all) but not now. I don't want any part of it.
I don't want any part of cutting holes in my drum heads. (lol)
Air vents on the shells I'm ok With (LOL)

A window open is fine, a door...

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always liked the feel and sound of a ported head, even when no mic is used. A single ply Emad batter with a small port on the reso at around the 4 o'clock position gives me that balance of attack and deep punch that I desire. Whether mic'ing from a stand or from an internal mount, the port makes that whole process easier. My little Yamaha Hip bass drum has no port because the drum is so small that I'm stilll on the fence about doing it, but I'm leaning that way.

That said, I do understand why so many of you like the full head approach. If you're used to that feel, and want/need a more sustained deep boom for your music, then that'd be the way to go.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I come from an era where you took off all the reso heads including the bass( and lost forever the hoops, heads and T rods lol) so I’m not in the resonance and sustain for days club which seems to be the trend de jour.
hHowever these days I prefer a small port on my Reso
Allows access to adjust pillow or towel
I can position mic inside to my liking
Head still has plenty of resonance without being boomy , I would think this is the way to go with a larger drum 18 x 22. A ported head is just another tool/ option in a drummers arsenal Larry Rod.