header.nohb.html

To Rivet or Not To Rivet. That is the question. ;)

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I
I always thought about riveting that cymbal and adding a little more texture. I love the crash sound of riveted cymbals too, I don’t think it would mess with that at all. Funnily enough I’m thinking about riveting the cymbal you traded me as well. Love that thing, it’s been the main ride on my kit since I got it.
That was a great trade for sure! I'm so glad you're enjoying that cymbal! I'll bet it would sound good with rivets. I'm sure enjoying that 19" Avedis you traded me... it's exactly what I was needing! I'll be playing it on a gig this weekend. Then probably sending it off to MDS to get the rivets installed...

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sidebar question for the experts here: Mel Lewis, Ginger Baker (among others) played a cymbal with a lot of rivets. What was the story with cymbals with mutiple rivets?

I love my Zildjian "Left Hand Ride" w/3 rivets.

1665412774688.png

1665412839097.png

foxy_shazamtastic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sidebar question for the experts here: Mel Lewis, Ginger Baker (among others) played a cymbal with a lot of rivets. What was the story with cymbals with mutiple rivets?

I love my Zildjian "Left Hand Ride" w/3 rivets.

View attachment 587056

View attachment 587058
Just a preference. Mel’s is a swish, Zildjian still makes the Swish Knocker which is based on that cymbal. 20 rivets. It drys things out.

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A heavier cymbal can take all the added mass of many rivets better than a thin cymbal. For many years I played a heavy-ish 21” 60’s A with 8 big rivets and it sounded great. A dead ringer for Ginger Baker’s ride.

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
That cymbal from the original post will sound fantastic with one rivet. If you don't like it, you can take it out.

DrumPhil

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like having two rivets in my crashable left-hand ride as an alternative sound with looong sustain. But I wouldn’t want rivets in all my cymbals. It’s about having options. If your other cymbals have rivets, I would leave this one alone. If not, it’s a great voice to add.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
JDA recommended to me a number of times to just use some string or twine with a couple rivets poked or squeezed on to the twine. Too light to choke.
I wouldn't drill that beautiful 19" AVEDIS until I had played it for months both ways and was positive of the outcome. Those are somewhat "collectible" cymbals imo
(ie the recreation of the 50's A's) and not many of them get drilled for rivets as they sound great as is. Yours is a perfect crash/ride....does both. And if you desire to
sell it down the road I would think the drilled holes will be a negative. And shipping it both ways to get rivets? That's $30-$50 down the drain too.

If you can't make it sound wonderful to you using the twine/rivet or taped on washer method.....don't expect much difference with drilled holes. The only times I leave a cymbal riveted is if
I get them already drilled. And in most cases whether ride or crash I like them better with all the rivets removed. If you have just a typical 60's A worth about $90-$125 I'd
say go ahead and drill it. But not with one of these AVEDIS re-issues.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA recommended to me a number of times to just use some string or twine with a couple rivets poked or squeezed on to the twine. Too light to choke.

An old Cymbalholic trick from Mario (Mers). The dental floss method. Here is the photo which I've had on my server since 18 October 2012. So it is coming up for a 10 year anniversary in a month. I've used the method myself a few times. I can't speak to whether JDA has used it or not.

Mers_Dental_Floss.jpg

Formula 602

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A heavier cymbal can take all the added mass of many rivets better than a thin cymbal. For many years I played a heavy-ish 21” 60’s A with 8 big rivets and it sounded great. A dead ringer for Ginger Baker’s ride.
Is that the one …that is the very last note you hear on the Blind Faith song..……Can’t find my way home?..

Formula 602

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone told me once…that A.Zil used to rivet really bad sounding Medium cymbals….Is that true,do you think?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
An old Cymbalholic trick from Mario (Mers). The dental floss method. Here is the photo which I've had on my server since 18 October 2012. So it is coming up for a 10 year anniversary in a month. I've used the method myself a few times. I can't speak to whether JDA has used it or not.

View attachment 587463

Nice. And that's a cymbal you don't want to put extra holes in "just for fun."

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 587463
Ah - the famous F***tard Ride.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well in case anyone is wondering... here's what I did. I got Memphis Drum Shop to install two Zildjian rivets. I've had it back for a couple of weeks now. I like it but decided that two rivets are just a bit much for this cymbal. Maybe the Bosphorus rivets would have been better? (Anybody know if the Bosphorus rivets fit in the same size hole as Zildjian rivets?)

So I took off one of the rivets. I like it better now and think it sounds really good. Here's the original video done by the drummer I got it from (before the rivet), followed by a video I just did with the one rivet. I used a Zoom iQ7 microphone to record this, so it sounds pretty true to in person...

donbseattle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

If you like jazz and listen to Billy Higgins and Elvin Jones, you are likely to appreciate the sound of ride cymbals with rivets in them. I just have a couple of things to say. ONE, if you have a lousy sounding cymbal and install rivets in it, it will sound like a lousy cymbal with rivets in it.
That said, if you like rivets, why not have a knowledgeable person drill a couple holes in your cymbal. Then buy some SPLIT RIVETS. You can put in any amount you want and remove any amount you want. Because split rivets are not tattoos. They are easily removeable.
My experience with chains is that they muffle they cymbal. And if you are interested in playing some light strokes and hearing some nice sustained sizzle, it is generally NOT going to happen with chains.
IF you get a really light chain that does sizzle easier, congratulations. BUT.....in my humble UNBELIEVABLY EXPERT opinion, it will not sound as good as split rivets.

Thank you! I'll be here all week!

drumsdrums67

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with this, so I thought I would pick the brains of those who do... and I know we have a lot of very smart and experienced drummers here!

I recently acquired an Avedis 19" (reissue) cymbal on a trade with another drummer here. I really like it. I'd say it's a great crash and a good ride. I think adding rivets to it might possibly take the ride characteristics to another level. My concern is that I don't want to mess up the beautiful crash. I'm thinking maybe just a couple of rivets, either in a cluster or spaced out a bit? I'm basically trying to decide if I can make it an even better ride without screwing it up as a crash.

So, specifically, what in your experience do you find adding rivets to a cymbal does to the crash? Would the crash sound basically stay the same but maybe just a slightly shorter sustain, or do you think it would sound substantially different as a crash? Would you add rivets to this cymbal (audio sample obviously without rivets below)?

This is a video the drummer I got it from did for me. I'd say it's a very good sample of what the cymbal sounds like in person...

I would advise against it. If you really like the cymbal and plan on holding on to it for a good period of time I would send it to the Zildjian factory and have them install the rivets. You pay for shipping to and from but they won’t charge extra to install them. Another option would be these sizzles from Tackle Instrument Co.:

They lengths that cover each size range up to 24” cymbals.

Last edited:

xopherhills

Reaction score
I feel that rivets completely change the sound of a cymbal, so I'm glad you tested out a bunch of options before drilling. In high school my drum teacher riveted my bottom high hat because he liked the sound. I found I did not.

FatBoy46

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with this, so I thought I would pick the brains of those who do... and I know we have a lot of very smart and experienced drummers here!

I recently acquired an Avedis 19" (reissue) cymbal on a trade with another drummer here. I really like it. I'd say it's a great crash and a good ride. I think adding rivets to it might possibly take the ride characteristics to another level. My concern is that I don't want to mess up the beautiful crash. I'm thinking maybe just a couple of rivets, either in a cluster or spaced out a bit? I'm basically trying to decide if I can make it an even better ride without screwing it up as a crash.

So, specifically, what in your experience do you find adding rivets to a cymbal does to the crash? Would the crash sound basically stay the same but maybe just a slightly shorter sustain, or do you think it would sound substantially different as a crash? Would you add rivets to this cymbal (audio sample obviously without rivets below)?

This is a video the drummer I got it from did for me. I'd say it's a very good sample of what the cymbal sounds like in person...

an old adage- if it sounds good without rivets- it'll sound good WITH rivets. Just don't drill them in the same radius or circumference. gotta be offset a little or you will induce a crack. Try a lightweight bead chain- available at craft and hardware stores - think light pull chains..see if you like it. I do ..