header.nohb.html

To Rivet or Not To Rivet. That is the question. ;)

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
Well in case anyone is wondering... here's what I did. I got Memphis Drum Shop to install two Zildjian rivets. I've had it back for a couple of weeks now. I like it but decided that two rivets are just a bit much for this cymbal. Maybe the Bosphorus rivets would have been better? (Anybody know if the Bosphorus rivets fit in the same size hole as Zildjian rivets?)

So I took off one of the rivets. I like it better now and think it sounds really good. Here's the original video done by the drummer I got it from (before the rivet), followed by a video I just did with the one rivet. I used a Zoom iQ7 microphone to record this, so it sounds pretty true to in person...

Bingo, sounds killer with the one rivet. Reminds me that I have a 20" A to drill.

Also fwiw. I look for cymbals that looked played in when I am shopping. I want a key hole, a rivet hole, some tape residue, a patina. If a cymbal is over 5 years old and doesn't look loved, I am pretty suspicious. I see many people advising against drilling due to resale status, I have a different perspective.

Parcel

Reaction score
So, specifically, what in your experience do you find adding rivets to a cymbal does to the crash? Would the crash sound basically stay the same but maybe just a slightly shorter sustain, or do you think it would sound substantially different as a crash? Would you add rivets to this cymbal (audio sample obviously without rivets below)?
I never fixed rivets on any of my cymbals, I just put a small chain on them to get a sizzle sound.
Only on the ride cymbals, tho.
Crashes are for accents, they don't need any help...

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In case you (or anyone) is thinking of trying different rivets like Bosphorus etc., Cymbalsonly has the good stuff for $6 shipped (apologize if this has been linked, I didn’t see it). Right at the very bottom of the page.

I ended up liking the Bosphorus. The cymbal sounds great btw, I think the rivet adds something nice.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In case you (or anyone) is thinking of trying different rivets like Bosphorus etc., Cymbalsonly has the good stuff for $6 shipped (apologize if this has been linked, I didn’t see it). Right at the very bottom of the page.

I ended up liking the Bosphorus. The cymbal sounds great btw, I think the rivet adds something nice.
Thank you!

The final saga on this cymbal...

I ended up taking your suggestion and ordering a packet of Bosphorus rivets from Cymbalsonly. Just what the doctor ordered for this cymbal! I love it! These rivets are noticeably less harsh and smoother sounding than the Zildjian rivets. I used two of the Bosphorus in place of the one Zildjian. About the same amount of sizzle, but I think the two Bosphorus rivets give it a little nicer sound. Here's a demo video I did tonight...

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

The final saga on this cymbal...

I ended up taking your suggestion and ordering a packet of Bosphorus rivets from Cymbalsonly. Just what the doctor ordered for this cymbal! I love it! These rivets are noticeably less harsh and smoother sounding than the Zildjian rivets. I used two of the Bosphorus in place of the one Zildjian. About the same amount of sizzle, but I think the two Bosphorus rivets give it a little nicer sound. Here's a demo video I did tonight...

Oh wow, that sounds REALLY good! Nice soft, smooth wash with plenty of stick. Perfect. Glad I could be of some help.