To stave or not to stave?

phdamage

Reaction score
I have quite a few snares these days - almost all metal shells of some kind. I do have a N&C solid maple that I love dearly - it's probably been my favorite for the last several years, though my #2-4 are all thick shelled metals (Duluth bell bronze, gretsch aluminum, keplinger black iron)

I love loud and dry snare drums. I play and record almost exclusively loud rock bands of some kind - dense recordings with lots of loud distorted guitars and bass.

I've had only a few wood snares ever. I had a pair of mahogany C&C snares of different depths that looked lovely but had absolutely no volume, so I hated them. And I've rarely been wowed by wooden snares when recording bands.

I've always been intrigued by stave snares but have never played one. I was thinking of maybe trying to get one made from rosewood or bubinga or something. Are these/can these be drums for loud rockers like me?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. My thick (1/2") walnut stave sounds a lot like a brass snare, but with added warmth. Something like bubinga or rosewood will have a killer crack.

I would say go for a thicker straight shell, as opposed to a thinner shell with integrated reinforcing rings. I have both in walnut, and they are completely different animals. The thinner one is much more mellow and soft sounding.

DaVille has a good breakdown of different species. https://www.davilledrumworks.com/available-species

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here’s a gal I like to call segmentZilla. For the discerning drummer - Purple Heart wood from Global Percussion. I’m not sure of the thickness but good lord can she attack. She has some nice tone too (believe it or not) but her main strength is her ungodly crack.

Attachments

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, a stave shell is likely to do what you want very well. I have owned a couple of the Gretsch Gold series snares and they sounded great. Well worth finding one, and can usually be had for under $400. Get an oak one if you can, but the maple is good too.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both of these are shells from Daville. They are excellent!

I ordered the shells and all the hardware, finished and assembled them myself. One is Macacauba and the other is Bubinga with a wenge strip.

They are very loud and have an incredible crack, perfect for hard rock/metal.

gabo

Attachments

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
I have a acrylic piccolo snare. I’ve played a lot of loud drums but this thing really is on another level. Super dry and it projects so well. It’s definitely different than wood and it’s not gonna replace my wood drums, and if it were me personally I would buy all three ply, stave and acrylic. But don’t count it out just because it’s plastic, I really didn’t give it a chance until I hit it and I fell in love with it

jkuhl

Reaction score
Both of these are shells from Daville. They are excellent!

I ordered the shells and all the hardware, finished and assembled them myself. One is Macacauba and the other is Bubinga with a wenge strip.

They are very loud and have an incredible crack, perfect for hard rock/metal.

gabo

Agree on the Daville shells. Very nicely made and they sound excellent. Both of these are Daville shells and I regret letting them go.

Attachments

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Both of my snare drums are stave (block) shells and the 14 x 8 Mahogany one would certainly suit your needs. It is for sale but no way would it be worth sending to the US as its heavy and shipping would double the cost. But such snares are indeed loud if you want them to be.
17883773_10209195894082442_4490350037128935738_n.jpg

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree on the Daville shells. Very nicely made and they sound excellent. Both of these are Daville shells and I regret letting them go.
Wow, those are incredible! I can never let things like that go! hahaha.

gabo