to Techmount or Not to Techmount, that is the question…

Redfern

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m in the planning stages of refurbishment and build of an early 80’s Gretsch square badge Jazz kit made from orphan toms.

Currently the mounted tom has a Techmount. Let it be known, I am not a fan of the mount. It’s just a big ugly rectangle to me. Functions extremely well but yeesh…no thanks.

Poll time:

Option 1: Keep the Techmounts on tom and floor tom? To keep the early 80’s vibe… Hmmmmm

Option 2: Install the new modern hinged diamond plate mounts that fit the existing holes? For that retro yet functional vibe.

Option 3: Put some original diamond mounts on it. I honestly love the look but dislike the function. And the rattle.

I welcome all comments and opinions.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll let you 'dis the 9020; ) I allow it; )

3. no way unless you're going vintage rail & spade/ slip mount/ them's cool

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
You may have trouble with witness marks - the old Techware mounts may have dug into the finish a bit and diamond mounts would expose them.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
You may have trouble with witness marks - the old Techware mounts may have dug into the finish a bit and diamond mounts would expose them.
That's why I'd go with the Gretsch one I posted above over the newer diamond shaped one. It uses the same rectangular footprint as the original bracket but has the more secure clamping system.

If there is no imprint ( at least some of those mounts had a felt gasket under them) then the INDe adds the ISO feature to a robust clamp design that can accommodate any size "L" arm.

I definitely wouldn't use the original style diamond even if it would fit the holes. Those things are tough to get to hold a floor tom leg securely, let alone mount a tom. I know they did use it for that briefly in the 70s but I can't imagine it worked that well.

Canbeats66

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m in the planning stages of refurbishment and build of an early 80’s Gretsch square badge Jazz kit made from orphan toms.

Currently the mounted tom has a Techmount. Let it be known, I am not a fan of the mount. It’s just a big ugly rectangle to me. Functions extremely well but yeesh…no thanks.

Poll time:

Option 1: Keep the Techmounts on tom and floor tom? To keep the early 80’s vibe… Hmmmmm

Option 2: Install the new modern hinged diamond plate mounts that fit the existing holes? For that retro yet functional vibe.

Option 3: Put some original diamond mounts on it. I honestly love the look but dislike the function. And the rattle.

I welcome all comments and opinions.
Hi. What did you end up going with? I have both the new
tempImageabWRrg.png
569C53A3-9CDE-430B-A36D-47C038B7106E_1_201_a.jpeg
diamond plate and the rectangle tom mounts and couldn't be happier. The look perfect.

Redfern

Reaction score
Hi. What did you end up going with? I have both the new View attachment 507978 View attachment 507979 diamond plate and the rectangle tom mounts and couldn't be happier. The look perfect.
Hey CB, I honestly haven’t been able to decide. It appears I might not have enough room to mount the new diamond plate mount. Which I really like the look of, plus it’s functional. I think I’ll just order one and see if it works.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a micro bop in 10/13/14. Has 3 techware FT leg brackets and 2 under the bass for the legs. I'd prefer not having them due to the eyesore and weight, but vintage diamond plates won't fit and I don't want to drill them and add more holes. I don't think it's worth spending the $$$ to get the adjustable diamond plates ($125). The tom holder is a modern L-arm and I wish it wasn't - I'd for sure do it with diamond plates and a rail/spade if building it out. I did upgrade the 10" to die casts and will get the 13's in DC, too. I think it's a better use of funds for this particular set....but I am tempted.....

Redfern

Reaction score
That's why I'd go with the Gretsch one I posted above over the newer diamond shaped one. It uses the same rectangular footprint as the original bracket but has the more secure clamping system.

If there is no imprint ( at least some of those mounts had a felt gasket under them) then the INDe adds the ISO feature to a robust clamp design that can accommodate any size "L" arm.

I definitely wouldn't use the original style diamond even if it would fit the holes. Those things are tough to get to hold a floor tom leg securely, let alone mount a tom. I know they did use it for that briefly in the 70s but I can't imagine it worked that well.
Luckily no witness marks on this 10” tom (previously wrapped) and the 13” floor tom was never drilled for brackets as it had a rims mount. 16” bass drum shell was never drilled either (except for large lugs). Gonna go with the new modern diamond plate mounts for the tom and ft plus the Brooklyn legs. A little retro mod for the heck of it.