To those of you that have played Bosphorus Syncopation...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a SW 21" ride with 3 rivets.
I really liked it. It was pretty thin, and a little trashy at about 1900g's. I loved the smokey, dark, low sound of it. And the rivets made it "wooooosh" when crashed. I got rid of it because the stick was just way too quiet for a main. It would get lost in the setting I was using it in.

Now. I just got a Zildjian 22" MTL and it is just beautiful. What an amazing cymbal.
I would love to find a cymbal to compliment it that is kind of like my old Sync.

My first thought was the special dry crash, but two 22's seems like a lot of sound to me and might Not be quick enough. Then I thought of the 20" SDC, but all the samples online sound so thin and short. A lot drier than the 22".

Anybody have any ideas for a dark, thin, dry Zildjian that I could put rivets in to get a similar vibe to the Syncopation?

drumreverie

Reaction score
How about a Zildjian K Custom 21" Special Dry Ride instead of the 22" crash? I mean the new 2017 model, not the older one. The newer ones are thinner, in the 2200-200 gram range I think. Maybe not thin enough, and you've probably already tried it...

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 20” Special Dry I owned was THE driest cymbal I’ve ever played. Like, Sahara Desert dry. If you could somehow turn desiccant salt packets into a cymbal, that would be it. So dry, I needed a drink after every time I touched it.

It was awesome.

Unfortunately, though, that kind of dryness has very limited application. I ended up trading it and keeping a 20” Agop OM crash instead. That would be one recommendation. Another one, if you can find it, is to get your hands on a 20” Bosphorus Oracle crash/ride. Those were the short-lived Ralph Peterson signature models from before he switched over to Sabian (and then immediately to Meinl). Super cool cymbals. Mine came with rivets. I don’t know if that was standard or not.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bunch of the Syncopation cymbals now and I love them. One's for sale-- a 19" SW crash that I had three rivets added to by Tony at CymbalsOnly (he's local to me, which as you would expect is dangerous). The only reason I'm selling is because it sounds too much like one of the other SWs I have. It's terrific and barely played. It's on Reverb now with a sound file.

The rivets were added after the video was made. Honestly, seems like it might be right up your alley. It's surprisingly articulate for a crash. I'd go lower on the price.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about a Zildjian K Custom 21" Special Dry Ride instead of the 22" crash? I mean the new 2017 model, not the older one. The newer ones are thinner, in the 2200-200 gram range I think. Maybe not thin enough, and you've probably already tried it...
Yeah. I've looked a lot at those. I have a very serious suspicion that it and the 23" are subject to a lot of variation. There must be some kind of manufacturing sweet spot, maybe it's tension or something. But it's weird how some of them sound so nice and others sound dead and flat. Maybe a hard cymbal to get right? Because some just sound so good and others don't and I think it goes beyond subjectivity.

But all that doesn't really matter. They're not the sound I'm really looking for. Too dry, I think. And quite a bit heavier than other cymbals by other brands that I like for this purpose.

I want something thinner.

What about vintage?

Latest posts