To wrap or not

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, just asking opinions. I have a mismatched set of early Ludwigs...24, 14, 16, 18. They’re all in good shape. Chances are, I won’t find matching drums for the whole set.

Would it be better in the end to wrap them as a matching set? Or would it be better to sell them later as singles in the original wrap? Chances are I’d keep them for years (I hope). I’m not sure if I’d gig them mismatched. But I’d most definitely take them out if they all match.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, just asking opinions. I have a mismatched set of early Ludwigs...24, 14, 16, 18. They’re all in good shape. Chances are, I won’t find matching drums for the whole set.

Would it be better in the end to wrap them as a matching set? Or would it be better to sell them later as singles in the original wrap? Chances are I’d keep them for years (I hope). I’m not sure if I’d gig them mismatched. But I’d most definitely take them out if they all match.
Since they're in good shape, I'd recommend finding a matching set you like and selling off the mismatched ones. Wrapping is expensive and really can hurt resale value considerably.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
and I'd vote the opposite. Since they're going to be players do what you'd like to make you happy. Wrapping isn't that pricey, I wrapped a 3 piece from Jammin' Sam's for less than $300. Some people are against the tape method of applying a wrap but I never had issues with it, and for the time I had the drums they never rippled. Sold them for as much as an original wrapped kit too.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s a crap shoot. They’re not going to be worth a full matching set, but wrapped not worth as much as all original wraps. Could still sell to someone looking for a project though, and just scrap the thing.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good shape, vintage 70's or earlier, original wrap? I wouldn't alter them. The 16 and 18 are often being sought to add on to existing kits. You'd kill the value on those. The 24 and 14 (not floor) have their demand as well. I'd find the kit you want and sell these off.

Re-wrapping is pricey and money out of your pocket in the end. Find a matching re-wrapped kit - there are plenty to choose from. Or buy an original matching kit, plenty of those too. There are some down right excellent kits out there on the cheap.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of vintage 3-ply Ludwigs. Specifically, they are Standards whose wraps were already removed for that contact paper that was on them.
Therefore, when I get around to the restore, I will wrap them without contending with the wrap tuck that Ludwig is known for.

In your case, if they are all in good condition, I would suggest letting them continue in their service with their original wraps intact, along with their wrap tuck.

I actually had a bass drum shell for my project - that I ended up selling because I could not bring myself to destroy the beautiful wrap it had, as well as not being interested in dealing with that wrap tuck.

I am very grateful that I was able to find a different 20in WFL BD shell......it has no wrap.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Set em up and play em how do they sound take a few pics
Is all the hardware and everything there?
I mean can they stand on their own
Let's see them/

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll set them up. Maybe sometime next week. The toms sound great...haven’t messed with the bass drum yet. Play time is short with the two little kids. ;)

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
This isn't a prefect solution, but you could use the Sparkle Brite type wrap to make them all match. It goes on right over the existing wrap, and is removable, although I've heard that it is a pain to remove. It looks fine from 6 feet away, and isn't that expensive. Not a prefect solution because it's basically contact paper, so it's a little tricky to make a smooth fit.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I had almost the exact same conundrum (black cortex 26", bowling-ball-blue-oyster 14", green sparkle 16", white cortex 18").

I did the math and did the math and did the math, and it always came out cheaper to find the toms to match the bass than rewrap. So I did that instead.
Try and find matching, sell the non-altered orphans.

I can't quite see the other wraps besides the bass.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had almost the exact same conundrum (black cortex 26", bowling-ball-blue-oyster 14", green sparkle 16", white cortex 18").

I did the math and did the math and did the math, and it always came out cheaper to find the toms to match the bass than rewrap. So I did that instead.
Try and find matching, sell the non-altered orphans.

I can't quite see the other wraps besides the bass.
It’s a great idea, but it’s very difficult to find matching 3 ply orphans. Can’t seem to find them in red sparkle. I located a 13, but not 14, 16, 18 toms.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I did the math and decided to learn to love jellybean kits. Zen of diversity rather than zen of matching.

Disclaimer: I live on an isolated island in the South Pacific so trading individual drums to get a matching set is a much more expensive and daunting proposition than it wouuld be for those of you based in the US. :glasses8:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Right. I think they look great how they are..... altho you didn't put them together set up
It looks like a "Truckin" kit.
You know. Dump truck isn't pretty. But to some people they are..

I think that set - set up as-is .. would start some interesting conversations

Like How many people did you have to ____ to get those drums.. lol
or " Broke into four houses. Best I could do."

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a set of vintage 3-ply Ludwigs. Specifically, they are Standards whose wraps were already removed for that contact paper that was on them.
Therefore, when I get around to the restore, I will wrap them without contending with the wrap tuck that Ludwig is known for.

In your case, if they are all in good condition, I would suggest letting them continue in their service with their original wraps intact, along with their wrap tuck.
Standards, and any other Ludwigs made post 1968 did not have the wrap tucked into the scarf joint. From some point around that time (1968 ) they applied the wrap after the shell had been formed so no "wrap tuck" after that. Even on the previous drums with the wrap in the joint it's an easy enough matter to run a razor along the seam and cut the wrap off there.

As far as rewrapping? there are a lot of things to factor in such as the colors on the drums you have and the condition of those wraps. I've done a couple of full rewraps to turn a bunch of "orphans" into a complete set and have really enjoyed the results. It isn't cheap to do but I enjoy the project itself so I factor that in. Most of the drums I've rewrapped though either had already been stripped by someone else or had really badly damaged wrap on them. I'm loathe to strip good wrap off a drum to rewrap it.

This was my most recent orphans made into a set project and I'm quite happy with it.

20190601_210849.jpg

Last edited:

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I am with K.O.
If the wrap is damaged, or there are extra holes, rewrapping is the way to go.
If the finishes clean up and are nice, and no holes to fill, try to sell them and use that money to find matching toms.
It may take a while, but chances are you will find some.
Steve

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll probably hang onto them, play them at home. May casually look for the red sparkle toms. I need to get the bass drum up and running how I want. The toms are there, except I’d like to get an emperor head on the 18 to match. I can’t get this sound from a modern kit. Which is a reason to keep (unless my mind changes). But it’s a different sound that I don’t hear much going on today. And I can’t stand being like everyone else.

So they’re like Buddy Rich with more low end due to the 2 ply heads. Mmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some yahoo will pay $$$ for the 18" FT thinking they can use it as the basis for a bop kit. Though red sparkle isn't as common as other colors of this era were, it's not like is psychedelic red or modern orange.

Latest posts