To wrap or not

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some yahoo will pay $$$ for the 18" FT thinking they can use it as the basis for a bop kit. Though red sparkle isn't as common as other colors of this era were, it's not like is psychedelic red or modern orange.
Yea, we’ll see. Bottom line...would need to sell some stuff if I do the rewrap. I probably do have a few things that I could part with.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I can't really see what the other drums are but if that is a virgin original red sparkle bass drum I would definitely leave it alone. In fact if all the drums are factory original and in good shape, I would leave them. They are only original once and these are desirable sizes.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
What wrap is on the top right tom? It looks like a 13 inch one? I see the larger one is black and the largest one looks like Champagne>

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Black oyster pearl on the 14. I have a 13 BDP not shown. Bass is virgin red sparkle. 16 silver sparkle, 18 solid black.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Drums don't have a good resale value in general these days, especially orphans - so even if they lost some resale value by wrapping, but you gained a matching set in the process then I'm not sure you'd actually lose that much. You said you'd keep the set for years and take it to gigs if they had matching wraps, so I would say do what's in your heart and don't look back. Drums like to be played. If you give those drums a new life of playing then you've done a good thing.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
One thing to add to all the advise here...if you need them to match...you could strip and stain. Less money and if you're like me with rewrapping...probably less time and frustration.

That said if the wraps or conditions aren't bad...sell of the 14 and the kick maybe...at the end of the day just be happy with your decision and enjoy your playing and kids (and where possible...have them help with the project...bonding time)

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, I'd buy that 18" in a heartbeat if it's 3ply/clear interior.

Red sparkle was a popular color, I'm sure you'll find your orphans when you least expect it. Same thing happens to me all the time.
Right now, coming up short on the red toms. I see a full set for sale, but I don’t need all of that.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Right now, coming up short on the red toms. I see a full set for sale, but I don’t need all of that.
It's the not looking for it that makes them appear. Like how cats only sit on the laps of people who proclaim they don't like cats.

I've actually bought entire kits just to match a snare, so keep in mind I'm an idiot. But if that kit that matches your bass has a different-sized kick, or is less special than a virgin 24", I bet that selling a bowling-ball 13"/14", silver sparkle 16" (which is another drum I'm looking for in 3ply/clear maple interior), and 18" Black Cortex would get you most of the way there unless they seller was REALLY proud of them.

All things flow in accordance with the tao, brother.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Black oyster pearl on the 14. I have a 13 BDP not shown. Bass is virgin red sparkle. 16 silver sparkle, 18 solid black.
That Black Oyster Pearl looks more like a 13? At 14, is it a floor tom? Is it a Keystone badge or?
Very interesting group you picked up...
Chris

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Black oyster is a 14x10. Everything is blue olive 70s 3-ply clear interior. I have all of the toms but the 18” tuned how I want them....only because I need to put a different head on the 18. I need to work on getting the bass drum setup with proper heads. Tuning them up like Buddy/Bonham. A different sound than what I hear today.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Black oyster is a 14x10. Everything is blue olive 70s 3-ply clear interior. I have all of the toms but the 18” tuned how I want them....only because I need to put a different head on the 18. I need to work on getting the bass drum setup with proper heads. Tuning them up like Buddy/Bonham. A different sound than what I hear today.
Ahh! Thanks for the clarification. Good luck with this set! A nice mix! :bom:

Latest posts