To you Yamaha Stage Customs users, what heads are you likin'?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I'm going to be using them in my studio for some projects...20/10/12/14. Rather than paying an extra $80 for my usual Evans UV1's, I'm thinking of going with clear Emps. Thoughts or opins are appreciated based on your experience.
Thanks!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be using them in my studio for some projects...20/10/12/14. Rather than paying an extra $80 for my usual Evans UV1's, I'm thinking of going with clear Emps. Thoughts or opins are appreciated based on your experience.
Thanks!
Yes, clear Emperors work great for Stage Customs! I would give it a shot. I've used them on both generations of my Stage Customs (I originally had the first gen Stage Customs from 1998 and currently have the Stage Custom Birch Bop kit from 2010). I don't run clear Emps right now since my SCB Bop kit is set up for bop playing, but I had used it in rock settings before.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Dan,i use cl Emps but coated Amb on the resno,and a dab of tape on both.
The coated Ambs warms up the tone a bit.
On the bass,i use SK1s or an Emad,single ply.
Rich fat punch!
Have fun!
The 20 bass is killer!
The shell bank i have is 2015 and newer.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two sets of heads for them now-- UV1s and Hydraulics. Both sound fantastic. I was stunned by the tone I was getting from the hydraulics. They may become my default recording toms for certain things.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Two twelves and a 14 floor tom all have Remo Emp. Black Suede batters and clear Ambs. reso ., work fine for me .

I tried everything with the bass drum , then got rid of it .

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coated G2’s sound like butter. Coated Emps are also great. Coated 2 ply on birch shells really warms them up.
Yet another head to try on these, I guess. Thanks for the tip. I really have to record mine with the Hydraulics. I mean, I'm about to do that, but I also need to put something up so people can hear the sound.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
By the way: UV EQ4 coated bass drum batter is amazing on both the Stage Customs and AHMs. I use them on all my bass drums now. It's a lot like an EMAD as far as the amount of focus and tone control, but fatter and warmer. I have them on all my bass drums now.

kallen49

Reaction score
coated emps over clear ambassadors were my choice, often got complements on drum sound,
Aquarian Superkick on the bass batter Emperor res and used minimal muffling.

Of interest re tuning: To stop toms detuning (which happened playing my Stage custom birch much more than on my Oak customs), I used Lockerz lug locks. They are kind of ugly and probably there are better solutions but they worked for me and are cheap.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My Stage Custom Birch came outfitted with Suede Ambassador batters on the 8x12 & 15x16 that I've since replaced with regular coated Ambs for more open tone. Both tom resonants are clear Ambassadors, 16" FT has a handful of cotton balls inside. 15x24 kick has Evans EQ4 batter & Fiberskyn reso, no internal muffling. It's my usual wide-open tonality but not overly ringy.

Yamahas above.jpg

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Evans clear EC2 on top, clear Ambassadors on the bottoms, no muffling. Will probably swap out the bottoms at some point, but this combination is punchy with good sustain for rock and pop. Good tuning range. Emad on the kick drum with a little extra muffling inside for control. This kit is currently used in an 8-piece horn band and this head combo works well for that.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
15x24 kick has coated PS3 batter & Fiberskyn reso, no internal muffling.
I went to the Yamaha site and looked at SCB sizes to make sure 15x24 wasn’t a typo when you wrote that. Never thought I’d see that size from one of the biggest and best drum makers, and I had been wanting to hear and play a 15x24 since I got my Eames 15x22.

That alone makes me seriously want to check out a SCB kit, not to mention the wide variety of other sizes they offer.

I already know these are great sounding drums and then there’s the price point. Less than $700 for 5 piece? Man...

AgentGreen

Reaction score
I'm rocking the Evans G2 and G1 reso on toms, then I got Aquarian texture coated on the snare and took the stock reso from my 14" FT as the snare reso and that sounds great to me. I might be breaking some drum rules on that. I still got the stock heads on my kick drum, I don't know what to put on my KD but stock works for me now.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have had the stock heads until today (and I had no problem with the stock heads). The guys at DCP said sometimes the cheaper stock heads were hard to tune, mine were fine....anyway
I put on Coated Ambassadors, stock heads on the bottom heads, stock head on the kick,

Really nice, warmer, fatter, little more tone, that 14" is full and deep sounding.

Still cant believe the price on these drums, could easily sell for 899.00

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They're Yamaha's gateway drug, I think! :D

I have had the stock heads until today (and I had no problem with the stock heads). The guys at DCP said sometimes the cheaper stock heads were hard to tune, mine were fine....anyway
I put on Coated Ambassadors, stock heads on the bottom heads, stock head on the kick,

Really nice, warmer, fatter, little more tone, that 14" is full and deep sounding.

Still cant believe the price on these drums, could easily sell for 899.00