To you Yamaha Stage Customs users, what heads are you likin'?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m going the other way... I always use mid to higher end Yamahas but I kept hearing about these so I decided to give’em a whirl in my studio. Looking forward to getting them this week.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of interest re tuning: To stop toms detuning (which happened playing my Stage custom birch much more than on my Oak customs), I used Lockerz lug locks. They are kind of ugly and probably there are better solutions but they worked for me and are cheap.
I bought Nylok tension rods from drum factory direct for the top rods only, cost me $15 for 4 toms, tuning hasn’t budged since.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m going the other way... I always use mid to higher end Yamahas but I kept hearing about these so I decided to give’em a whirl in my studio. Looking forward to getting them this week.
Looking forward to your review!

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I preferred coated Emps over clear Ambs on my stage custom birch kit when I had it. Just seemed to be the better sound under the mics. They were a little too bright with single ply clears, but those were also the stock heads lol

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You will be glad you gave them a try

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used coated and clear Pinstripes on SCs before. Both worked great. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SC's were my main gigging kit for 17 years, albeit they were 1st gen (see avatar pic).
My 1st gen kit liked Evans G1's - Coated over clear for recording.
For gigs, it wore coated G2s over clear G1s.
Shells have changed since then and could render this comment as useless as the poster.

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that SK-1 coated or clear? any muffling in the KD?
With a Clear SK-1 or 2...Nothing in the bass drum, tuned JAW (Just above wrinkle) maybe half a turn above. Reso head should be a bit tighter than batter....experiment. Good luck.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, I got’em! I originally ordered a natural kit in 20/10/12/14 but my local drum shop had a kit in the cranberry red. I went in and checked it out. The bass drum had a cracked hoop and the bass drum actually had a little damage on the inside of the shell from shipping. No problem. Darren ordered up a new bass drum and told me to play it and we’ll switch them out when the new one comes in.

I put a SKI on the bass drum and clear Emps on the toms. I’m really digging this kit. I put a coated reverse dot on the SC snare and it sounds great. I’m looking forward to do some recording this week.

DF098423-A492-458B-BB41-0FE52D064568.jpeg
E8C12B15-6A1C-4FBA-B95E-D35B36AAE63D.jpeg

Last edited:

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welp, I got’em! I originally ordered a natural kit in 20/10/12/14 but my local drum shop had a kit in the cherry red. I went in and checked it out. The bass drum had a cracked hoop and the bass drum actually had a little damage on the inside of the shell from shipping. No problem. Darren ordered up a new bass drum and told me to play it and we’ll switch them out when the new one comes in.

I put a SKI on the bass drum and clear Emps on the toms. I’m really digging this kit. I put a coated reverse dot on the SC snare and it sounds great. I’m looking forward to do some recording this week.

View attachment 454190 View attachment 454191
Mine was also in cranberry red...loved it. If I get another I'll go with Raven Black next time

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welp, I got’em! I originally ordered a natural kit in 20/10/12/14 but my local drum shop had a kit in the cranberry red. I went in and checked it out. The bass drum had a cracked hoop and the bass drum actually had a little damage on the inside of the shell from shipping. No problem. Darren ordered up a new bass drum and told me to play it and we’ll switch them out when the new one comes in.

View attachment 454190 View attachment 454191
Beauties. I know a guy w the Cranberry ones and they look great. Plus the local shop always has those out so I suspect they sell very well