Today’s pickup: pre-serial COB super Ludwig

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killer snare! Mine is excellent condition and with muffler and actually was a tad more.....talk about right place and right time!

Reaction score
I'm not putting these drums down, just a serious question because I've never actually played one. And I am wondering if I should be looking for one?

What is the big deal about these drums?

What makes them different from other COB drums of similar size? (They probably have COB rims, but it must be more than than just brass shell and brass rims.) I know there was a time when they fetched BIG bucks, is it their rarity, sound, their "legendary" status? Mojo?

Were they "just" a standard bearer of their day? Is there a famous-well known drummer that used one? (I know Vinnie used one back in the day, but he used LOTS of snares.) What is a classic recording of one of these drums?

How do they compare to other classic Ludwig metal snares? 1920's Black Beauty, Modern Black Beauty, Supra (yes, I know the shell is different from Supras.)

How about other COB snares? 4160, COB Sound King, etc... How about the heavier gauge spun brass (non chromed) shells like the Yamaha 80's drums, or maybe the classic COB Premier snares?

Are they "just" a one piece spun brass shell, or is there something different about the construction of the shells (like the 1920's BB's?) Different edges, beds?

Absolutely NO disrespect intended, and BIG congrats to classicdrummer on the score! I've "heard" that those are great drums.

Please educate me fellas,
MSG

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll start with Brass is brighter/louder more sustain than aluminum shell. Chrome stays nice on the brass.

Next

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I’ve been more or less on the look out for one of these, mostly due to the legendary status. I’ve never played one, and I think aluminum model is going to be hard to beat, due to its versatility and to me, just perfect sound.
i have a brass Pearl FF that does a good job, and the Slingerland Sound King has gotta be tough to beat when it comes to brass drums.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bit nicked and a dent or two here or there, missing muffler and probably could had offered less... but figured $300 was a fair price. Looking forward to getting this dialed in!
$300 is an absolute steal for this.
I have the same drum, pretty much - badge configuration, era. To answer noms a bit, it's a richer, throatier sound to me, a bit sweeter, almost a little "slower." It definitely has that rich thing going on. Not as light and quick as the aluminum shells can be.

fenrir

Reaction score
They're not spun Mark, they're rolled and welded with a vertical seam.
They do sound great - side by side with a Ludalloy supra the brass is more everything, fatter, crisper, wetter, warmer etc. That said, the regular drum gets you 90% of the way there so I think the price and popularity is due to scarcity as much as anything - along with the Willy Wonka golden ticket element of trying to score one cheap if incorrectly listed as a regular old Supra.

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
I’m interested in how it sounds different as well! I’ve had a 60’s aluminum Supra, a couple acrolites, and a modern brass beauty. Once I get it dialed in, I’ll report back!

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To my ears they’re a bit fuller and richer sounding. Love mine!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Curious how y’all think the COB Super compares to a BB. I did have a modern BB and never got quite got it dialed in, though honestly I probably never gave it a chance (sold off a bunch of stuff to fund a divorce, yay).

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned a Supra, I think we are all well aware of the difference between brass and aluminum (or excuse me Ludalloy.) So let's skip those typical caparisons, my fault.

So far we have...

Construction=They are a rolled and welded shell, that looks better that a flaky Supra.

Sounds= Throaty, brighter, and louder (like any other brass ((or COB)) drum does, in my humble opinion.)

Business=Everyone wants to find a steal on one where the seller thinks is a Supra and prices it as such. I would assume this would make it a very "flippable" drum for the businessmen-flippers (buy low sell high.)

Please keep going....
MSG

fenrir

Reaction score
For what it's worth I had one and preferred an early 2000s Tama chrome over brass that did the same thing, felt more solid and cost me a quarter of what the Ludwig did.
The Ludwig felt richer sounding than a Slingerland cob I once had which wasn't as smooth or warm sounding.
They're not a 'unique' sound to my ear, in the way the 20s two-piece, steam bent, Brady shells are. That said, I'd not hesitate to get another! Such is the sickness

Last edited:

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the big deal comes down to two things- 1. rarity 2. the chance of scoring one that is hiding in plain sight due to them looking exactly like the aluminum ones to the casual observer.

Prices dropped once Ludwig finally came out with with a reissue brass supraphonic- before that finding an original was the only way you were getting one. Dealers knew this and would hype the crap out of them (right or wrong). Now that you can just order one- quite a bit of the mystique is gone.

However the mystique still surrounds the 401's- but those are really rare.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
M...o...j...o........ it sounds better than my sixties COA Supras. It's a little warmer than my 4160 COB's. It's got a nice brass ring that's not too much. It's a little softer than the Slingy COB. More nuance and sensitivity.

Definitely different than my 20's Black Beauty.......which I love more due to rarity and age...ie: more mojo!

I've never gigged my COB but I have gigged my vintage Black Beauty......under a careful nervous eye, of course!

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
M...o...j...o........ it sounds better than my sixties COA Supras. It's a little warmer than my 4160 COB's. It's got a nice brass ring that's not too much. It's a little softer than the Slingy COB. More nuance and sensitivity.

Definitely different than my 20's Black Beauty.......which I love more due to rarity and age...ie: more mojo!

I've never gigged my COB but I have gigged my vintage Black Beauty......under a careful nervous eye, of course!
What’s the difference between the 20’s BB? That’s one of my dream snare drums.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lip edge is bent inwards at like a 45 degree then again into the shell and I think welded to the shell edge (not sure). Also the shell is a welded 2 ply heavy shell.

Definitely a dream snare for me.....thank you, Dana Bentley!