Today’s pickup: pre-serial COB super Ludwig

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
Slightly side note... what’s with this reso head that was on the snare? Never heard of it. Looks... somewhat officially liscenced?

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of these snuck by on Ebay about a month ago for $375. And it was all original and mint. Orchestra batter decals. Missed it by one day. Consignment shop seller had no clue that pre-serial number was important.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of these snuck by on Ebay about a month ago for $375. And it was all original and mint. Orchestra batter decals. Missed it by one day. Consignment shop seller had no clue that pre-serial number was important.
Just missed that one buy a hair banged on the buy it now was already gone. I was pissed thought I had it!
sidenote: curious if the new Supra brass shells are rolled or spun?

GlassGlitter

Reaction score
Bit nicked and a dent or two here or there, missing muffler and probably could had offered less... but figured $300 was a fair price. Looking forward to getting this dialed in!
Congrats!!! Sweet drum and even sweeter price! You're gonna love it!

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one that is behind only my 20s black beauty and my '20 6.5 brass 6 lugger. Shells are made the same. rolled, welded, with the edges folded back to the shell. The old drums are 2 piece and the super is 1. Way nicer to me than a supra or any other brass drum I have owned.

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
Finally got it dialed in- I put a Evans genera dry head on it which helps reign in the overtones and tightens up the overall sound. It’s an absolute unit of a snare- very loud and intense. A bandanna over it warms it up and fattens the sound, so I might get a big far snare drum for it. It sounds much different from a supra and a modern black beauty I’ve had.

Reaction score
I have one that is behind only my 20s black beauty and my '20 6.5 brass 6 lugger. Shells are made the same. rolled, welded, with the edges folded back to the shell. The old drums are 2 piece and the super is 1. Way nicer to me than a supra or any other brass drum I have owned.
Are you saying that the edges are bent back completely and welded to the shell like a 1920's Black Beauty? Meaning they form that same "semi-triangular closed chamber" bearing edge? And that the difference in construction (only) between an old 1920's BB and one of these COB Super's is only the lack of the two pieces being welded-joined at the bead?

That would be a very telling detail in identifying these. Which would make me wonder what confusion there would EVER be in identifying one of these (just flip it over and look at the edges, or simply remove a head and look at the edges.) Easy!

If I am reading you right, (am I?) and this IS correct, I can now see what the excitement would be. That "construction model" (with the closed edges) is a magic design, and I am always surprised that other manufacturers haven't "adopted" it.

Congrats to the OP for getting it dialed in,
MSG

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are you saying that the edges are bent back completely and welded to the shell like a 1920's Black Beauty? Meaning they form that same "semi-triangular closed chamber" bearing edge? And that the difference in construction (only) between an old 1920's BB and one of these COB Super's is only the lack of the two pieces being welded-joined at the bead?

That would be a very telling detail in identifying these. Which would make me wonder what confusion there would EVER be in identifying one of these (just flip it over and look at the edges, or simply remove a head and look at the edges.) Easy!

If I am reading you right, (am I?) and this IS correct, I can now see what the excitement would be. That "construction model" (with the closed edges) is a magic design, and I am always surprised that other manufacturers haven't "adopted" it.

Congrats to the OP for getting it dialed in,
MSG
The edges on a 50's/60's COB shell do not fold back against the shell to form a chamber like a 20's/30's two piece shell. The inner edge of the lip does curl back towards the shell wall (If you don't have that curl you don't have a brass shell even if it is a pre-serial badge) but it doesn't meet the shell wall.

Reaction score
Thanks KO. I didn't think so, but that is definitely what it looked like A.Tomicorganic was saying-implying. So if they don't have that closed edge, my original question (from page 1) remains (and again, no disrespect to the OP.)

What makes these drums so special?

As compared to other COB vintage drums (4160, Slingerland Sound King, etc...) I am not looking to compare them to Supra's, only to other vintage (similar) COB drums.

Thanks,
MSG

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks KO. I didn't think so, but that is definitely what it looked like A.Tomicorganic was saying-implying. So if they don't have that closed edge, my original question (from page 1) remains (and again, no disrespect to the OP.)

What makes these drums so special?

As compared to other COB vintage drums (4160, Slingerland Sound King, etc...) I am not looking to compare them to Supra's, only to other vintage (similar) COB drums.

Thanks,
MSG
They have a unique sound that differs from the sound of the Aluminum Supraphonic. I'm not a good one to describe sounds but I do have one of these COB drums and an identical looking pre-serial one in seamless aluminum and there is a difference. My Pre-serial Supra even has the crimped in snare beds like the Super did but there is still a difference in their sound. The brass shell has a vertical seam, the slightly different bearing edge flange (that inner curl), and seems to be heavier overall. The aluminum has the seamless design (spun metal) and the flat bearing edge flange.

As far as a comparison to other brass drums of the era that gets trickier as there are so many variables. I have the Rogers, Gretsch, and Slingerland drums from the same era but it's hard to know how much of the difference between them all has to do with the brass shell and how much is from other differences in the way they were made. I just know that I like what I hear from most of them.