header.nohb.html

Today at Guitar Center - update

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have an older Roc 'n Soc Nitro throne with stripped threads on one of the bolts that secure the seat to the spindle. I found the mounting bracket I need on another store's website, but it warned of a delay of 5-7 months to get it. So I stopped in GC today. Naturally, nobody was in the drum department but a guy buying a bunch of heads, so I asked at the guitar counter if someone could help me. The guitar counter guy, who'd been tuning a ukulele when I walked up, then proceeded to call corporate hq to get the actual part number and the name of the contact to help expedite the order. As it's a special order I had to pay in advance (no problem. I expected that), but the order is already in the system because (a) he had the system copy me via email on entry of the order, and (b) he copied me on the email he sent to his contact with the information she can use to make sure the order is handled right. I should have my part in a couple of weeks.

It's been a good day, with a jazz rehearsal starting in an hour or so.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
So maybe it's not GC overall so much but just their percussion departments that suck.

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that is great news! Much better service than I have experienced both in-store and on-line with them. Glad they took care of you in outstanding fashion.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went into GC in Lexington, Ky over the weekend.
As usual, not a soul working the drum room. Floor was a mess with litter and sticks everywhere.
I went behind the counter to look through the sticks and after an extensive search found 2 pair of the ones I was looking for, in a box beneath the display of sticks yet to be sorted.
While I was there a gentleman came to counter and asked if I worked there.
Nope, sorry.
“Can you help me anyway? I need some sticks and don’t know what to buy, are you a drummer?”
So I helped him find the sticks he described and made a suggestion which he took and picked up two pair of the sticks I recommended (not what I use, but what he described).
Took my sticks, a couple of snare heads and a pair of mallets to the counter.
Nothing was priced.
When the mallets came up as $42.99 I said no thanks and left those with the cashier. Went home and ordered the mallets I really wanted online for $18.99 per pair, free shipping.
A typical GC drum shopping experience of the past 3-4 years.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an older Roc 'n Soc Nitro throne with stripped threads on one of the bolts that secure the seat to the spindle. I found the mounting bracket I need on another store's website, but it warned of a delay of 5-7 months to get it. So I stopped in GC today. Naturally, nobody was in the drum department but a guy buying a bunch of heads, so I asked at the guitar counter if someone could help me. The guitar counter guy, who'd been tuning a ukulele when I walked up, then proceeded to call corporate hq to get the actual part number and the name of the contact to help expedite the order. As it's a special order I had to pay in advance (no problem. I expected that), but the order is already in the system because (a) he had the system copy me via email on entry of the order, and (b) he copied me on the email he sent to his contact with the information she can use to make sure the order is handled right. I should have my part in a couple of weeks.

It's been a good day, with a jazz rehearsal starting in an hour or so.
Really curious what bolt you needed, as I was thinking it's something you could get at Ace if your order doesn't come in timely.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember living in SF very close to the GC and going in one day to the drum department and seeing a cool retro-looking DW kit. I asked the guy working there if I could just sit down and hit the bass drum a couple of times. He said sure, go for it, that’s a great kit. He added that he was a drummer himself and in charge of the drum department at that store.

I got up from the kit and walked over to him.

Me: hey what a cool kit! It’s got kind of a Bonham vibe, dontcha think?

Manager of the drum dept: A what vibe?

Me: You know, John Bonham?

Manager of the drum dept: Who? Who’s that, who does he play with?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As usual, not a soul working the drum room. Floor was a mess with litter and sticks everywhere.
I went behind the counter to look through the sticks and after an extensive search found 2 pair of the ones I was looking for, in a box beneath the display of sticks yet to be sorted.
Nope, sorry.
“Can you help me anyway? I need some sticks and don’t know what to buy, are you a drummer?”
So I helped him find the sticks he described and made a suggestion which he took and picked up two pair of the sticks I recommended (not what I use, but what he described).
Nothing was priced.
When the mallets came up as $42.99 I said no thanks and left those with the cashier. Went home and ordered the mallets I really wanted online for $18.99 per pair, free shipping.

I live about a mile from that store. Last couple of visits it's been bare bones in the drum dept, with customer service to match lol!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember living in SF very close to the GC and going in one day to the drum department and seeing a cool retro-looking DW kit. I asked the guy working there if I could just sit down and hit the bass drum a couple of times. He said sure, go for it, that’s a great kit. He added that he was a drummer himself and in charge of the drum department at that store.

You probably could have learned a lot from that guy.

Dan, smoking a glass pipe.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score

Obviously a kid.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to a GC over the summer in Maryland and this is what I saw.....
20210723_171406.jpg
20210723_171353.jpg
20210723_171345.jpg

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how familiar this looks.
The GC in Lexington Ky, looks 75% this bad, every visit! A year ago I took a cellphone video of my walk through the drum section to show this very thing, but I deleted it as I couldn’t bring myself to post it anywhere, it was so shameful.
In hindsight I wish I had posted. Maybe a few of these getting publicity will illicit some kind of positive change in Guitar Center. IDK…

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nope, sorry.
Nothing was priced.
Whether an item is priced or not I have the online Sam Ash price on my phone ready to show the cashier what the price should be, even when I’m at Sam Ash.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really curious what bolt you needed, as I was thinking it's something you could get at Ace if your order doesn't come in timely.
I got that throne about 20 years ago, and it has a U-bolt to tighten its grip on the spindle. For years I carried a socket wrench in my hardware bag to remove and attach the seat to the base. Makes carrying it around much easier. Eventually the threads on one side of the U-bolt stripped, making tightening it down problematic. Replacing the U-bolt is difficult because it's welded to the bracket. The design on new thrones uses wingnuts to tighten and loosen, eliminating my need to carry a socket wrench.

The throne has been at my big band's rehearsal space for the last few years, where it doesn't get packed up and the stripped threads weren't a problem. Since being made redundant by the new "leadership team" of the band, I've brought that set home, and decided to get a new bracket for it. I have gig money, and having an extra throne seems useful, hence my trip to GC.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Apparently the GC employee was calling Roc 'n Soc directly, because I was copied on an email from his contact there saying that my part will ship early next week.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could have called Roc N Soc directly yourself, bought the part and had it shipped directly to your home and eliminated the middle man. And another trip to GC.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Went to a GC over the summer in Maryland and this is what I saw.....
The GC near me looks like that too. Surprisingly, they always seem able to find stuff though.
Probably like my basement - looks like a huge mess, but I know exactly where everything is.

About the OP's experience. I had a similar one. I went in looking for a specific S hoop.
They don't carry S hoops at all, but the guy called and placed an order for me while I was right there.

Yes - I could have gone home and done it myself, but I thought it was great they went beyond what was expected.
They have some pretty good, long term employees at the GC near me.
Of course, they also have a lot of short term, turnover employees too, but that's to be expected at most places like that.