Today I did an inventory of my late friend's drum gear for his widow...

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss,
I am in same boat as most, just turned 60 and been working on inventory for a couple years off and on already, quite the process indeed.

Wayne

T_Weaves

Reaction score
You're a good man. I'm getting up there myself. I have a guy in mind I'd ask to do what you're tasked with. I'll probably state that he could have the snare of his choice if he was amenable to the task. I've got three kits, four snares, and two complete sets of hardware/cymbals. So yeah, it would be something I'd want somebody that knows drum gear in addition to someone I could trust.

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never helped someone in this way but I do often buy the collections of a departed loved one. A couple local music stores that don’t really buy used equipment give my contact information. Most of the time my first meeting is when I hear the great stories about how “dad” loved drums, loved playing, was told how he had “the good ones” in regard to brand and such….. memories of helping schlep gear, memorable nights at the Moose Lodge, blah, blah, blah.

At the end of all that is when I typically disappoint them with my assessment and an offer lower than they thought… far lower in some cases. All transparency, I am Johnny Lowball Offer. If you have a price, let’s hear it, but those words….”make me an offer”…. Ummm OK. Look, I’m a sympathetic human, I’ve lost a parent, it sucks bad. But when I’m in your basement, looking at dad’s treasure/crap…I don’t really care in that moment. Im not trying to gouge you or hurt you but I am trying to get it for as little money as I need to spend. I will point out every flaw, sign of use, etc…I’m going to flip it, part it out, whatever. I’m looking to pay a bill or fund something. I do encourage the people to hold out for a better offer if I see they are “deflated” a bit after my offer. I will also suggest they sell on-line and will give them suggestions… most often they don’t want to fuss with it.

Most often I leave with my money and no drums…. The first time. Almost always within a week I’m back and they accepted my offer because no one in their tiny circle of contacts wants them….in my area if their friends “know a guy”… it might be me anyway.

My daughter knows where to look for pricing ideas, how to research what something is, etc…She knows which of my stuff is player grade vs collector.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So sorry for the loss of your friend. Real friends are indeed rare these days.

Blessings on your efforts to look out for his widow, his gear, and the next destinations of his drums - true friend.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
I’ve never helped someone in this way but I do often buy the collections of a departed loved one. A couple local music stores that don’t really buy used equipment give my contact information. Most of the time my first meeting is when I hear the great stories about how “dad” loved drums, loved playing, was told how he had “the good ones” in regard to brand and such….. memories of helping schlep gear, memorable nights at the Moose Lodge, blah, blah, blah.

At the end of all that is when I typically disappoint them with my assessment and an offer lower than they thought… far lower in some cases. All transparency, I am Johnny Lowball Offer. If you have a price, let’s hear it, but those words….”make me an offer”…. Ummm OK. Look, I’m a sympathetic human, I’ve lost a parent, it sucks bad. But when I’m in your basement, looking at dad’s treasure/crap…I don’t really care in that moment. Im not trying to gouge you or hurt you but I am trying to get it for as little money as I need to spend. I will point out every flaw, sign of use, etc…I’m going to flip it, part it out, whatever. I’m looking to pay a bill or fund something. I do encourage the people to hold out for a better offer if I see they are “deflated” a bit after my offer. I will also suggest they sell on-line and will give them suggestions… most often they don’t want to fuss with it.

Most often I leave with my money and no drums…. The first time. Almost always within a week I’m back and they accepted my offer because no one in their tiny circle of contacts wants them….in my area if their friends “know a guy”… it might be me anyway.

My daughter knows where to look for pricing ideas, how to research what something is, etc…She knows which of my stuff is player grade vs collector.
Your compassion knows no bounds. Frankly, I can't stand lowballers........and yes, you are trying to gouge them.

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your compassion knows no bounds. Frankly, I can't stand lowballers........and yes, you are trying to gouge them.
Then you will want to make certain to take care of things so your family doesn’t deal with someone like me when they have to part with items dripping with sentimentality. In a way it’s a point I was trying to make. Perhaps poorly.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
Then you will want to make certain to take care of things so your family doesn’t deal with someone like me when they have to part with items dripping with sentimentality. In a way it’s a point I was trying to make. Perhaps poorly.
No worries there. No sentimentality required as most, if not all, of my stuff is pretty high end. What bothers me about your original post is how much satisfaction you take in being a low baller in situations where people are grieving. I don't think you realize that you're compounding their sadness in those difficult times. But hey, you be you and I'll be me.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries there. No sentimentality required as most, if not all, of my stuff is pretty high end. What bothers me about your original post is how much satisfaction you take in being a low baller in situations where people are grieving. I don't think you realize that you're compounding their sadness in those difficult times. But hey, you be you and I'll be me.
Is he supposed to buy it at market value to help out the grieving family ?
And like he said most times , he is the only person willing to buy it all ….

T_Weaves

Reaction score
I respect your opinion and understand it IF he's there to buy the whole collection at once.