Today marks one year since my last gig.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
One year today since my last gig. Good thing I have a "real job". I can only imagine what this has been like for full time musicians.

It's been a lot of years since I've had the desire to play every weekend but this is ridiculous. I'm not getting any younger.

Also, it's especially hard to justify having all these drums if I never actually use them. We have kept up our weekly rehearsals though so there is that.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's about the same with me..we had gigs booked into last fall and we kept thinking that we would get to play some of them...but, as every month came and went, we stopped getting calls and by September it was pretty much over..thankfully, our guitar player is a sound engineer and has a studio in his basement so we have been writing and recording, but even that, through stay at home orders, a couple of guys are health comprised, it has been few and far between over the winter..bands have been gigging again around here, but nobody is very motivated to go out there at this point..we've all gigged for decades and the allure isn't there..I haven't played a cover tune in almost a year..we have talked about renewing our weekly band nights and going through our set lists again..I'd be ok with that..I moved into a smaller house a few years ago and pretty much sold all of my drums off except for two kits..One I keep set up and the other in cases for gigs..I take them out every couple of months to make sure they are still ok..but they haven't been set up in a year now..

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe I should have heeded the fact that that last gig was on a Friday the 13th a bit more...

nitro bengal

Reaction score
We just played our first show last night since October of 2019. The grand opening of a new club in Columbus, Ohio which seats over 800 people but limited right now to 230 people due to Covid restrictions. Tonight is night 2 of the 2-night grand opening so we play again tonight. If feels nice to play out again.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
During the past year my band has played two private party gigs (Safely); had two Studio Recording sessions;
weekly rehearsals as usual (because Rehearsals AIN'T stopping for Rona, lol); and two incidental gigs
at a venue with limited capacity; meanwhile my band's CD album "Apocalypse Wow!" has been
getting massive air-play in some U.S. States and overseas.
We have live streaming/limited seating show coming up next weekend.
And we're in a local "best of" type contest that is being held in my region.

So, even with this pandemic situation still gripping us, it still has been a productively good year for my band.
I wish for the same productivity for you all as well.

Now that we have vaccines against the virus, some U.S. States are easing up their COVID Restrictions.
Pretty soon most venues will be allowed to have live shows again, although COVID Safety protocols
will remain in effect to some extent...

So, don't lose hope gang. Live shows will resume again soon.
Keep the faith, and stay Busy somehow! :thumbup: :blob8::blob7::blob3::blob5::blob4:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Jazz trio I'm in did do a video performance for Christmas. It wasn't a live stream but was posted to facebook and youtube at a particular time. That was fun but not the same as playing before a live audience.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pfth! Gigging is overrated. Amassing gear and obsessing about colored cymbal felts that’s where it’s at. This weekend I’m going to take the heads off all my drums and tighten the inside lug screws.

I think my last gig was around this time last year, too.

This has been a very introspective time for me: The musical equivalent of taking a year’s vow of silence.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not quite as long but about 6 months... managed a few jam nights though but that hardly counts .......there have been more than one lock down rule changes in the last 12 months and we are just coming out of the last one but this city relies on tourists and they haven't been any allowed.....

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s been over a year for me, but at least that last one was a great experience at a great venue with a great band.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s been over a year for me, but at least that last one was a great experience at a great venue with a great band.
Our last one was really good, too..we played in our home town and the venue hadn't seen a crowd like that in years.There was a line up outside. .we had a lot of friends show up..if it is the last one, it was a good way to go out...

dyland

Reaction score
In summer 2019 I had to decide if I was going to pursue touring nationally and try to make a living primarily by playing, or keep my teaching gig and play/tour regionally for supplemental income. I decided on the latter and learned rather quickly that that was a wise decision for me.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played gigs last year from June till the start of October very regularly . All were outdoor gigs ( Driveways, barbecues, Birthday parties). None of our usual establishments had live music last year . We are planning to start up again in May weather permitting . I am hoping that once the vaccine is more wide spread and more people have it that things will open up and live Music will return to the local pubs and clubs . I did a couple remote recordings with a Big Band I play with but did not enjoy the experience at all .

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last gig was just over a year ago.

I've been retired from my career (day job) since September of 2009.

My "fun money" (AKA drum money) came from gigging and working part time as a bartender. My last day as a bartender was a year ago yesterday. I have a list of snare drums that I'd love to own. :D

It looks like the bar may open for more than takeout after April 4. I may get to return to work if volume dictates. (It likely will.)

The band still rehearses, but our lead singer injured her vocal chords and is out for now. I have no idea when we will be gigging again. Although I'll be sixty-two years old in six weeks, I'm not ready to give up yet.

I'd like to think that I'm not done hauling gear into the house in the middle of the night just just yet. :D I even installed new lighting to make three AM load-ins safer.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We have been playing at least 2-3 times a month since last summer. Mostly outdoor or socially distanced stuff. I have done a few solo dates as well. It’s alive and kicking in SC. Some places are better than others but I try to keep distance and great hygiene (all should be doing anyways!) hopefully we all get back to somewhat normal soon!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
My last show was March 6th. Felt SO good to be back, and for a big show. Our last before that was June 13th '20. I feel so bad for all the musicians who haven't been able to play. I was getting so down and out about it all. We're gonna get through it hopefully. Keep your heads up everyone!

received_536046950709525.jpeg

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
My last gig was sometime in late Feb 2020. I've barely played drums at all since then, even solo practice in my basement, somewhat sadly. More happily, I've taken up bass!