Today's find Slingerland Tangerine Satin Flame

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Lucky find here in the Facebook marketplace. They look a little rough but I think I'll be able to clean them up nicely. I purchased the set and the sellers delivered the set to my uncles. The set was 50 miles away from me, so I'll go grab it on Friday and will have a better idea of the condition. Looks to be 13, 16, 20 with matching snare. All the hardware shown and I see a blue sparkle snare in there but I'm not sure what it is yet.
Screenshot_20190605-185618_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-185618_Facebook.jpg
20190605_213031.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-185602_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-185548_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-185535_Facebook.jpg

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
That blue sparkle drum comes with it. Can anyone tell what that might be ?
It looks like it could be a blue oyster kind of color, but I just can't get a good enough look at it to say anything.

Curious if it's a 4-leg bass, since the double cymbal mounts are on-spec for a Buddy Rich kit, but only with the quadruped bass. 24" instead of the 22" was like a $6 option in the catalog, surprising number of cheapskates didn't opt for it.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Looks like a 22" kick to me. Two bass-drum cymbal mounts and two sets of spurs? It's a 60's Tangerine Satin Flame buddy kit with a matching snare ... That's one for the record book! Wow!

Of all the 80N Buddy kit finishes - you could theoretically get them in any catalog finish - that is the rarest color that I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments all. Anyone have any advice on bringing back the satin flame finish ? My thoughts are a soft bristle brush, soap and water.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It does appear to have two sets (4) of spurs, plus the dual cymbal brackets do suggest it is an 80N "Buddy" kit. All it needs is the second floor tom! The aluminum Setomatic mount and brackets date the kit to 1968. My educated guess says the bass drum is a 14x22. Others have suggested it might be a 12" depth, but it looks like that's because there is no front head attached.

Yes, a soft-bristle brush and "scrubbing bubbles", or something similar, will clean up the "crud" that finds it's way into the textured finish of satin flame. I would think there will be some cracking and spider-webbing of the wrap, but that's to be expected. A small price to pay for such a rare and cool looking finish! Get those drums, clean them up and post pictures!

Finally, that blue snare does appear to be MIJ. Hard to tell, though. I see a label that suggests it could be a Lyra badged drum. Let us know what it turns out to be!

-Mark

Last edited:

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It does appear to have two sets (4) of spurs, plus the dual cymbal brackets do suggest it is an 80N "Buddy" kit. All it needs is the second floor tom! The aluminum Setomatic mount and brackets date the kit to 1968. My educated guess says the bass drum is a 14x22. Others have suggested it might be a 12" depth, but it looks like that's because there is no front head attached.

Yes, a soft-bristle brush and "scrubbing bubbles", or something similar, will clean up the "crud" that finds it's way into the textured finish of satin flame. I would think there will be some cracking and spider-webbing of the wrap, but that's to be expected. A small price to pay for such a rare and cool looking finish! Get those drums, clean them up and post pictures!

Finally, that blue snare does appear to be MIJ. Hard to tell, though. I see a label that suggests it could be a Lyra badged drum. Let us know what it turns out to be!

-Mark
Leaving to pick them up in about an hour or so. Soon as I get back I'm going to strip em down and start soaking the hardware, and I'll inspect the shells at that point. I'll creat a progress thread. I'm pretty excited to delve into this set!