Today's find Slingerland Tangerine Satin Flame

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First think you said were the dimensions esp of the bass drum? Must a missed it..

and what was this thing on the side of the snare drum here:

looked like some bracket or wrapped up wire or ...what.. ; )
Yes so the sizes are 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 with 5.5x14 snare. What you see hanging there is the throw off. It was completely disassembled. I had to go to the Slingerland book, and some online research to put it back together. I was lucky I actually had Slingerland screws and a backing nut from my last restore. I also read online that its wise to add a spring to the throw between the dummy plate and shell. Worked out real nice.

Reactions: JDA

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with these zoomatic setups at all. I actually put the butt end on upside down I'm pretty sure. Is this the butt end your talking about? View attachment 399472
Here's a better picture of the butt. It's actually a Leedy design, but Slingerland decided to use it after they purchased Leedy.

-Mark

Attachments

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a MIJ Slingerland knock off. Has knock off zoomatic on it. It's also missing the bottom hoop. The badge says Penncrest.
I believe Penncrest was the house brand for JCPenney, IIRC.

As to extended wires, I used to buy inexpensive Tawanese 15" 20-strand wires and use string at the strainer end and a strap at the butt. Worked great, and they usually run under $8. https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_104_374_75&products_id=2441

Attachments

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The mounting system is also the aluminum mount with the grey ball if that helps anyone wanting to date the set. I've been told by multiple people they're '68s. If someone can verify otherwise, please do. Thanks.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have some 15" snares here. Maybe I'll try that. I'm not complaining one bit, it sounds awesome right now as is.
Honestly, you don't need 15", or extended, wires on your snare drum! The only reason the Leedy butt stayed with the Artist and GK drums, is due to having a ton of them AND what customers expected the drum to have. Too many issues with the "half-extended" wires if not set up correctly, not to mention if the holes for the butt were drilled a bit higher than they should. These snares sound great with "normal" wires and are easy to mount, especially if the Zoomatic has the clamping bar.

-Mark
I believe Penncrest was the house brand for JCPenney, IIRC.

As to extended wires, I used to buy inexpensive Tawanese 15" 20-strand wires and use string at the strainer end and a strap at the butt. Worked great, and they usually run under $8. https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_104_374_75&products_id=2441
Good to see someone who understands how the "half-extended" wires are set up! The fact that your Zoomatic has the narrow slide, with two non-threaded holes, means this drum originally came with the extended wires. Great looking drum!

-Mark

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Leedy that I put the extended wires on, made a huge difference!
I have used 15” wires before also, worked out fine.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do these have the “chocolate milk” interiors? Post a good shot of the snare’s bearing edge. I’m seeing 3 plies in the pic earlier in the thread.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do these have the “chocolate milk” interiors? Post a good shot of the snare’s bearing edge. I’m seeing 3 plies in the pic earlier in the thread.
Yes they have chocolate milk interiors. The plies are really hard to see. They're covered with the paint. It's so thin I assumed it was a 1 ply, but have been told they didnt put the CM paint on the 1 ply artists. So IDK.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Started the bass drum claws in a soak last night and they were pretty dirty and some rust areas. Not horribly rusted but a few. They cleaned up pretty nicely in a dawn and water soak.
20190609_065241.jpg

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Started the cleanup on the 16X16 early this morning. It's also scratched up pretty badly, and has some staining in the finish that is not coming out, or even lightening up after two scrubbing bubbles washes.

Attachments

Latest posts