Today's find Slingerland Tangerine Satin Flame

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a better picture of the butt. It's actually a Leedy design, but Slingerland decided to use it after they purchased Leedy.

-Mark
I did some adjustments today and threw a 15" snare wire on. I think I got it correct. It certainly makes the drum sound crisper. Do you happen to know, how many strands and length of the original snare wires?
20190613_185002.jpg
20190613_185014.jpg
20190613_185022.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hoops and heads are ordered. Precision drum hoops cut to spec. I should have em painted and original inlays installed and the kit ready by mid next week. Finished photos soon.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
When all done
are these going to be parked in the house/garage for practice? ; )
Or are they going straight to the auction block
Or is there gig/work they will be going to Or..hasn't been decided.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When all done
are these going to be parked in the house/garage for practice? ; )
Or are they going straight to the auction block
Or is there gig/work they will be going to Or..hasn't been decided.
Great question! This is going to be my gigging kit. Its flashy, it sounds good, and the color goes very well with our bands colors on our logo pictured here. Itll allow me not to have to take my INDēs out all the time.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Something about Satin Flame I remember I had at same time, two Gretsch sets one satin Flame one was Pearl. The satin flames were warmer!!
These look like they are going to be warm!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lovely kit & color! I have a 12/14/18 in blue satin flame.....

Glad to see you flipped your butt! Not sure why you are using an extended wire, though - regular 14" wires should be just fine......

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lovely kit & color! I have a 12/14/18 in blue satin flame.....

Glad to see you flipped your butt! Not sure why you are using an extended wire, though - regular 14" wires should be just fine......
Thanks much. I had wires to do it, and it actually sounds a bit crisper and has a bit more sensitivity to it.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Great score and a fantastic job on the resto! And an Artist snare to boot - definitely a bucket list snare for me. Enjoy that kit - glad to see they landed in good hands!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did some adjustments today and threw a 15" snare wire on. I think I got it correct. It certainly makes the drum sound crisper. Do you happen to know, how many strands and length of the original snare wires?
That looks totally correct. The butt end should just exceed the bearing edge.

The original wires were 20-strand and 14" length.

20190619_123347.jpg

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You went ahead..and didn't ask us..leave hoops blond or black? No poll? Nothing?
Lmao! I contemplated this myself. Decided to go with what was on them.....Black. I'll bet they would look really classy with natural and some laquer. Maybe in the future I'll get some more hoops with no inlay and go natural.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright my fellow drummers and restoration gurus. I salvaged what I could of the original inlays. They were really beat up bad. Couple creases, stained, and short of material by a little bit, but I used the originals and I think they turned out nice for what I had to work with. Theres nothing out there that I could find that even come close to matching. I could've went with something new and contrasting but decided to go this route and glad I did. I'll put the missing chunks on bottom and it is what it is. Next photo will be of the completed kit. I hope all enjoyed watching this restoration through here and I'm glad to document here. Thanks everyone for all the opinions and answers, this one has been a joy!
20190621_113951.jpg
20190621_110916.jpg

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Ray looks like it is coming along. Are you going to use the bass cymbal arm? I hope you enjoy it gigging. I have a couple black label stands on the that fit nicely F/B.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice call on those kick hoops. It's a vintage kit...it should look vintage. Slingerland was mostly about black hoops. And the black offsets all that flashy flaming going on. You need something darker on the kit to break up all that shell color - and the chrome and black hoops do that. Great job on that kit. It's going to look amazing.