Todd La Torre and Queensryche

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I remember reading earlier this year that La Torre would do double duty on the new Queesnryche album: singing and laying down the drum tracks. Apparently Scott Rockenfield has stepped away from the band for some reason...or been pushed away possibly. I really don't know. But they said that for The Verdict, La Torre would take up his sticks again, compose the drum tracks and lay them down. I always felt Rockenfield would be a pretty tough act to follow. BUT damn, La Torre really smashes it on this album. It's very progresseive, giving him time to work in a lot of tasty parts.

I was really impressed with his talents.

Anyone else hear The Verdict?

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not a fan. The drums, especially the snare are so buried in the mix and have no personality, indicative of most modern rock. I listened to the whole album and Queensryche has lost everything that made them Queensryche on “the verdict”, I honestly had to make sure I was listening to the correct band. I’m not sure what the situation is with Rockenfield but he needs to be back in the band stat.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have probably missed a lot of good music from them but after Degarmo left, the band just did not feel the same for me so the last album I owned is Hear in the Now Frontier. Too much drama recently I hear. And Rockenfield was a huge inspiration growing up. That huge Tama with change, the beginning of Take Hold Of The Flame...those were the days :)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Not a fan. The drums, especially the snare are so buried in the mix and have no personality, indicative of most modern rock. I listened to the whole album and Queensryche has lost everything that made them Queensryche on “the verdict”, I honestly had to make sure I was listening to the correct band. I’m not sure what the situation is with Rockenfield but he needs to be back in the band stat.
So not the artistic achievement that was “Jet City Woman”?

SpinaDude

Reaction score
The Verdict felt a lot like a Fates Warning album to me...just not as strong. I like Fates Warning a lot. That being said, I'm not sold on the album. I didn't like their first one with La Torre, and only heard a couple of songs form the last one. This seemed like a step up at least, but only a couple of songs grabbed me.

The Warning has always been my favorite Queensryche album. That and the last 2 tracks from Rage for Order, which I think are brilliant. This didn't come close. I don't think that's a band that will ever get back to that form. They lost DeGarmo, and Tate. Their combo is what made the songwriting so interesting. And they are now very different people from what they were when the band formed. They can't recapture that.

I didn't notice anything bad about the mix. But that's not what I was getting at. I was talking about his drumming. I was impressed. I didn't expect him to do such a good job.

Never was a fan of Empire.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Murat, you haven't missed too much. There were a handful of good tuned (IMO) between Tribe, Q2K and Mindcrime II. But not much.

If you haven;t heard their live double CD Live at the Moore in Seattle, I recommend you checking it out. No DeGarmo, but still a great performance.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw them on tour this year with Fates Warning. The show was excellent, both bands were in top form. The Verdict in my opinion is the best album they’ve put out since Promise Land.

Todd’s drum performance was good. There were some parts that sounded like they could have been played by Rockenfield and others that show Todd’s personality & style. My biggest problem with the production was the cymbal sound. I miss SR’s Paistes. The bell on the ride is pretty weak.

Latest posts