Todd Rundgren

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I got to see him in concert a couple of years ago. He was touring with Yes and Carl Palmer. Prairie Prince was his drummer, which was very cool.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Huge fan. Got all his albums, plus all the Nazz and Utopia stuff. His trio tour from about 10 years back was one of the best shows I've ever seen. TR on guitar, Tony Levin on bass and Jerry Marotta on drums. Jaw droppingly great. People were actually leaving because he wasn't playing the "hits". Their loss.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Great Producer, too.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Another huge fan. Never have seen him in concert, but love his 70s stuff. "Wizard" and "Initiation" are favorites, as well as "Something" and "Ra". Love those albums.
I think Todd's a genius, and I don't use that word liberally.

Last edited:

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Longtime fan.
I've seen him perform live many, many times with Utopia and solo.

I own most of his vast discography. Some favorites are:

Hermit of Mink Hollow
AWATS
Something/Anything
A Capella
Nearly Human
Arena

Plus all the Utopia stuff with the classic lineup of Roger, Kasim & Willie.

I've spoken at length with Kas & Prairie, met Todd briefly in Dallas.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
HUGE TODD FAN HERE!! About the above comment on his voice, wow, his voice is probably one of my favorite attributes of his. But he's an exceptional guitarist, producer and synthesist/keyboardist, and has written so many inspiring and wonderful tunes.

My favorite album of his is Initiation, it was the first album I bought of his and saw him live with Utopia several times over the years, as well as more recently on the Unexpected evening with Todd tour a couple of years back, which was excellent. Initiation is really 2 albums, the first side has great tunes along with the hit Real Man, and the 2nd side is an amazing Synthesis tune, A Treatise On Cosmic Fire. For many years in the 70s and 80s I felt he could do no wrong musically. I can understand how he might be considered an acquired taste, though. Back in those days I would say it was Zappa and Rundgren and everyone else.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Great song, dustjacket! I love his melodies and that production is just so clean and big. The first Rundgren song I heard, ironically, was "Bang the Drum All Day." He played it with Ringo & the All-Starr Band a few years ago when we saw them.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's actually been influencing younger bands lately, most notably Tame Impala.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw him on the 1st Utopia Tour with the 7pc band & Kevin Ellman on drums and then a year later on the RA Tour with the 4pc version and Willie Wilcox on drums.
I am no longer welcome at his shows however...he made it crystal clear.
tr

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw him on the 1st Utopia Tour with the 7pc band & Kevin Ellman on drums and then a year later on the RA Tour with the 4pc version and Willie Wilcox on drums.
I am no longer welcome at his shows however...he made it crystal clear.
tr
Please relate the story.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw him a few years ago with my kid. The only song I thought I knew was Bang the Drum. Turns out I knew a lot of the songs, I just didn't know they were his. Killer show and he was quite a performer, as was the whole band. The best part is that, as the drummer in my kid's band, he sings Bang the Drum and I get to play behind him!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The late-great John Siomos of Peter Frampton fame played on "Hello It's Me." According to Stanley Sheldon (Frampton's bass player) when Peter heard that song he wanted John in the band.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just finished this book. Great, great read. Lot's on cool stories and interviews.
Gonna have to get that one! Long time Todd lover. Saw Utopia many times. One of the best was a NYE at The Forum in LA. Dr. John/Utopia/ Frank Zappa.......
I'll leave you with a favorite- <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: