Tom Assistance - Upgrade or Work With What I've Got?

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check bearing edges. If good, try different heads - cheapest upgrade all the way around. If that doesn't do what you want, save them for your next set.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Strong second for the recommendation of looking at your bearing edges. If you make a lateral move from a Pearl Forum to a Ludwig Centennial then you'll end up with a brand new kit that will also need it's edges worked on to optimize. Guitarists understand that when they buy a new instrument it still needs to be fine tuned. Drummers should take the same approach, especially with non-high end kits. Manufacturers save money on production costs, which means the bearing edges don't get enough attention. This makes things hard to tune, results in dead spots, etc. A nicely edged drum has a wider tuning range and is just nicer to play.

- Exactly. I've owned several quality kits - Gretsch, Sonor Phonic, Tempus, Pearl fiberglass - and they all had edge issues. After the edges were trued and made consistent, the drums were far more resonant and much easier to tune, at all tuning ranges. The only wooden kit I've owned that did not need edgework was a Canopus RFM kit. If your edges aren't right, changing heads or rims won't make much difference. Get your edges looked at by someone with a granite slab milled to within a few 10,000ths of an inch. If they're out, fix them. It'll cost way less than another kit and will likely delight you.

Last edited:

tbird8450

Reaction score
So I spent some time listening to various drum heads while doing housework yesterday (yes, I know, you're envious of my thrilling life), and I decided to try replacing my old, tired heads and seeing if that will tide me over for now. I ordered coated Aquarian Response 2s and Classic Clears for the resonant sides. I'm not expecting miracles, but if they'll help enough for now I could throw some extra pennies in for a new kit over time.

mfry2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Where do you live? I
5D5857F7-9CC2-4182-94D7-474E4EEF2D3A.jpeg
Have this for sale at a great price, Tama starclassic performer $750.00 takes them