Tom lug mount Inde vs Atlas?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone tried both? I have the Atlas on 2 toms, maybe I would switch to the Inde if there were added benefits/features? The Inde looks more streamlined and visually appealing.

Inde drums Parts BR3 No-Drill Suspension tom / Accessory mounting bracket | eBay

Ludwig LAPAM1 Atlas Single Mount Drum Bracket 641064852084 | eBay
The Atlas mount that replaces a lug does not work well for a 9x13 inch tom. It chokes the drum. I am guessing that hanging the weight of the drum on a mount so close to the bearing edge puts tension on the shell distorting the shape of the drum near the bearing edge. Haven’t tried the Inde mount and have no interest in a lug replacement style mount. BTW, the same drum absolutely sings on a snare stand. Maybe it would work better with a smaller drum.

Last edited:

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATLAS did choke and detune my 13" Classic Maple tom. I removed it and now use a tom stand. Have used the INDe on Ludwig vintage 3-ply toms. They choke less and have no detune issues.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Haven't had any noticeable sound or detuning issues with my 3 ply 13 on the Atlas mount. Basically the same weight and external force as on the stock Ludwig mount and that has no support from the top ring, never had a problem with that either. The Inde might be worth a try just to Coke/Pepsi. It looks better, lower profile.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Haven't had any noticeable sound or detuning issues with my 3 ply 13 on the Atlas mount. Basically the same weight and external force as on the stock Ludwig mount and that has no support from the top ring, never had a problem with that either. The Inde might be worth a try just to Coke/Pepsi. It looks better, lower profile.
Did you use the ATLAS which replaces a lug or the one which replaces the original mount? It's the lug one that causes detuning.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The re-ring may prevent shell distortion from a mount near the edge. It seems to me that a shell mount at/near the middle of the shell is less likely to distort the shell.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve played on the Atlas mounts and enjoyed them, but would probably buy INDe mounts next time since they are smaller profile. Being that the same guy designed them, it seems like the more recent gadget would represent the most up to date research as well as the best application of it.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve used both. The Atlas is HEAVY. Aside from that, I don’t like the plastic sleeve you have to add to the Atlas to accommodate smaller sized L rods.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ATLAS did choke and detune my 13" Classic Maple tom. I removed it and now use a tom stand. Have used the INDe on Ludwig vintage 3-ply toms. They choke less and have no detune issues.
I have the INDe on my 13 Legacy maple tom. It resonates far more than either a rims type mount or the snare stand I had been using. Easy to install and a nicer look, however the key is that the tom SOUNDS better.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ok,im glad this thread has come up.
I had a Neusonic kit ,i got the arch and atlas mount,the 12 sang wonderfully.
Now,ive bought 2 BR3 at separate times.
The first BR3 i put on my 7x12 Boomtheory tom,the tom opened right up,i bought another for Christmas and put it on a 9x12 Ludwig thin birch shell, it choked. Put it on a 5+5 Keller,9x13 ,it also choked.
So i swapped out the 2 BR3s.
Both BR3s worked on the 7x12 great.
Both didnt work on the others.
So,my experience has been hit and miss and a mystery to me!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Atlas mount that replaces a lug does not work well for a 9x13 inch tom. It chokes the drum. I am guessing that hanging the weight of the drum on a mount so close to the bearing edge puts tension on the shell distorting the shape of the drum near the bearing edge. Haven’t tried the Inde mount and have no interest in a lug replacement style mount. BTW, the same drum absolutely sings on a snare stand. Maybe it would work better with a smaller drum.
With all of this choking going, what’s the point of them. Regular tom mount or RIMS mounting seems to be what’s called for.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put two Atlas/lug replacers on Impact Convert toms...pretty thin shells w/some flex...but I hadn't had them with heads on in forever...I suspect they might be choking as well but...they are concert toms....and the mount may make using them/gigging them much easier. I do have another atlas and an Indie to play with and a Fibes FG shell...but it'll be a while before its reassembled.

Dillasdonuts

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the Atlas on a bass drum to mount cymbals and I also have some BR3s. I tried the BR3s on my toms but there was a lot of flex when I hit them. The Atlas doesn't have that kind of flex. I like the BR3s to convert a rack tom into a floor tom. No wobble when placed on the ground.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is interesting since I just recently go my add on toms for my classic maple and I am having some issues with resonance and tuning on my 9x13 with the Atlas mount. I was chalking it up to just me finding the right tuning for the drum. I'm not sure how an Inde mount would do anything differently than an Atlas mount simply because of the weight of the drum hanging from the mount ultimately would seem to be the cause but if it does actually improve then I would certainly entertain switching them out. I currently have a 7x10, 8x12 and 9x13 all hanging from Atlas mounts. With my setup I'm not sure using a snare stand is feasible.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far seems the general consensus, both mounting devices are flawed, the Inde maybe a little less so.
I've been ok with the Atlas, set up time has been reduced/ simplified/streamlined. Been gigging it for a couple years now, no detrimental effects that I can tell. I guess for the price of a good steak I can satisfy my curiosity.
Thanks , appreciate the response's keep them coming and yes where's Josh?