Tom mount bracket

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,..

I'm thinking about what I will use as a tom mount bracket for the set I'm building. I know everyone is all about isolation mounts to get more sustain in the drum. Well,. to be honest I have never had an instance where I said to myself,.. wow, that drum just needs to ring out longer.. in many times adding a gel dot or whatever to reduce the ring.

So I'm thinking I might just go back to the regular old tom mount bracket to the shell. The same one that I will use for the floor tom leg mount.

This is for a 12x9 tom. y question.. is there any issue with possibly damaging the shell,.. or cracking from it own weight,..etc,..

I doubt it but wanted some confirmation before I continue..

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
My vintage Ludwigs all have 3 plies and the toms have a tom mount same as like the FT leg mount....solid as a rock. Unless a super thin shell or you are a basher, I would not worry. I don't think I've ever had a drum shell fail that had a mount on it...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've never seen any issues on toms as long as the brackets are properly installed (fender washers on the interior to spread any stress out).

You can have it both ways (iso mount directly mounted to the drum) with the INDe brackets which are a great design even outside their isolation properties in that they will accept any size "L" rod and fit a variety of mounting hole spacings.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well,. to be honest I have never had an instance where I said to myself,.. wow, that drum just needs to ring out longer.. in many times adding a gel dot or whatever to reduce the ring.
All I'm going to say is that ring and resonance are not the same thing. Isolation mounts add resonance.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the old days, Tama would add a metal plate on the inside of the drum at the tom mount to help spread the stresses out over a larger area. Certainly, fender washers will work as well. I believe most manufacturers use something like this today.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that ring and resonance are not the same thing. Isolation mounts add resonance.
I think they are related. For playing live, I cannot see the Benefit rims, etc. for recording yeah. And all my drums have some sort of isolation.