Tom Petty “Wildflowers” Documentary

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will have to watch this. I did see a documentary called running down a dream ( I think) and it was very good. It was about four hours long.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched it. I cried. My TP band played a Wildflowers show before the pandemic and it changed my respect for the man (not that I didn’t have respect before working on the show). Wake Up Time and House in the Woods are my favorite TP songs now.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember buying this CD and liking it right away,but it really continued to grow on me and was # 1 in the rotation for quite awhile. For some reason I think of it as his Rubber Soul.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought the 4-CD Wildflowers set as a casual Petty fan...and I cannot stop listening to it. BUY IT. It's awesome. I think this is the best he ever did. I never knew about Hung Up and Overdue. What a masterpiece! Carl Wilson AND Ringo on the same track, and Ringo plays what I consider to be his best since the 70s. Not that I didn't think Petty was good; I just didn't think he was this good. RIP Tom, Carl, and Howie Epstein.

Dan

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Remember when Dave Grohl filled in with Petty for a Saturday Night Live performance and Tom asked him to join the band? I love Dave, but that didn't make sense to me.

I remember that. Grohl was hilarious back there - just going BONKERS like he's playing a Nirvana show. Rest of the guys in Petty's band just rolling with it.

The kept good time though and it sounded better than it LOOKED like it should sound.

Guitar player in our band and I were just talking about this last week - laughing at Grohl going nuts back there. Playing Honey Bee.

Wildflowers blew my mind when it came out. Such great songwriting and craftsmanship on that album. LOVE it.

Paradiddle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this documentary and like many Wildflowers is my favorite TP album - truly beautiful.

TP hadn't used Stan on a solo album ever.

The major riff between Tom and Stan was mostly discussed in the Running Down a Dream documentary.

Full Moon Fever is Phil Jones
Wildflowers is of course Steve (who became a "Heartbreaker" for the last 20 or so years of the band)
Highway Companion is TP himself on drums