Tommy Aldridge

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw him present at PASIC this year. I'm not into that style so much, but... total respect to that guy! He can really play and has kept himself in top shape. When asked how he has maintained his health (the right-off-the-bat first audience question), he soft-pedaled it: (laid-back Southern drawl) "Well, I live by a mountain, and there's nice places to ride my bike (bicycle)." He might have mentioned a little stretching... he did say he avoided the "hard partying," but did have a couple beers...after the gig, hanging out.

He was flailing on those drums with his hands at one point. I almost couldn't bear to watch it... scary...yet it seemed to have no affect on him! Amazing!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
No doubt he rules. Randy Rhodes Tribute was one of the first tapes I bought and his solo on there is etched in my mind forever.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tommy is the bomb! I met him back in 1986 in clinic in Detroit and he just killed it. He was modest, encouraged everyone to get an education "An education is worth it's weight in gold", and he never bad talked anyone. A true southern gentleman. He is one of the few that still kills it behind the kit at his age with that amount of power. Nothing has changed with his ability to play, no matter what his age is.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tommy is the bomb! I met him back in 1986 in clinic in Detroit and he just killed it. He was modest, encouraged everyone to get an education "An education is worth it's weight in gold", and he never bad talked anyone. A true southern gentleman. He is one of the few that still kills it behind the kit at his age with that amount of power. Nothing has changed with his ability to play, no matter what his age is.
You are right. Not everyone can have that stamina & endurance at that age. I think him and Nicko McBrain are the 2 that I can think of that can do it. They are a year apart in age and are both mega power players. Not to change gears to Nicko but an interesting fact is that Nicko is a heavy metal drummer but his influence for playing was Joe Morello. I met Nicko years ago and he's another excellent human being. I put both Tommy and him in the same status as drummers.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Incredible. Amazing rapid cymbal muting with both hands.
And am surprised at how low he sits, violates the throne height 'rule'.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope to still have such a full head of hair at that age!
I'm in my 40s — and I can safely say that there's no way I'll have that much hair at 70, because I already have about 1/100th that amount of hair at my current age.

I also hope I can play like that in a few decades from now. Good for Tommy!

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was at Yamaha Groove Night at 2005 NAMM. It was held at the Cerritos Performing Arts Center, and all of Yamaha's heavy weight endorsers were on the bill playing with a killer rock orchestra of session musicians and vocalists. The audience was filled with a lot of drummers of course - even if they were endorsing other companies. Weckl, Erskine, Marotta, Danziger, Newmark, Gadd, Garibaldi and other Yamaha endorsers came out and did their tunes with the band and were, of course, amazing. Then Tommy came out and proceeded to play a scorching version of "Crying In The Rain" that blew the roof off the place. He got the only full house standing ovation.

I was very fortunate to be sitting behind a table that included Clayton Cameron, Rayford Griffin and Michael Bland among others. They absolutely lost it, and were jumping out of their chairs laughing and hollering during the out chorus vamp when Tommy started to unleash the big roundhouse crossovers. There was a lot of respect for Tommy in that auditorium. I will never forget that show.

pgm554

Reaction score
I saw an In Concert one night and Black Oak Arkansas was playing and I hated the music ,but the drummer blew me away.
That was TA.
Ironic enough though ,Shawn Lane was also in the band and he was just a monster guitar player.
Go figure ,Colaiuta played many a polka in his life and look how he turned out.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Tommy is a nice guy & extremely humble. I met him in the 80s. He was really the first hired gun guy that I remember from my childhood. He was always good and a pros pro. Watching him do the hands solo up close is my personal favorite thing or memory. I know it's something he picked up seeing Bonzo & it's something not just anyone can do.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Tommy is a nice guy & extremely humble. I met him in the 80s. He was really the first hired gun guy that I remember from my childhood. He was always good and a pros pro. Watching him do the hands solo up close is my personal favorite thing or memory. I know it's something he picked up seeing Bonzo & it's something not just anyone can do.
Tommy was doing the hands thing as a kid. His parents didnt want to hear his drums so he practiced with his hands. this is what he told us at a clinic in the 80's. He started doing the hands solo thing when he was playing in the WEBS band in the late 60's in Jackson Mississippi.

What It Is

Reaction score
Incredible. Amazing rapid cymbal muting with both hands.
And am surprised at how low he sits, violates the throne height 'rule'.
Just watching him play and noticing how relaxed he is. Drums up a little higher, not wasting any movement. Totally in the cockpit.