toms 1 up 1 down, anyone going an octave apart?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know the conventional wisdom is to tune a two-tom setup in fourths or maybe fifths. But I always feel like when I've got my rack tom sweetly singing, the floor tom a 4th down makes a weird nasal tone, with no thump. And when I've got the floor tom into its powerful sounding zone, the rack tom a 4th up is making a dull thud. Seems like the solution is to tune them at an octave apart. Anyone else doing this, for the same or different reasons? Is there a rationale (other than maybe trad jazz in bop tunings) where an octave would be inadvisable?

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the sizes. Some people tune 10 and 14 wide apart, so they might end up at an octave. With 10 and 16 it might be an even larger interval. I'd just tune each drum so it sounds best, and not not focus ion the interval too much (other than maybe using different size drums as a consequence).

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest not sure how mine are tuned. Sort a like Seb77 I just tune each to sound good but I'd assume if they sound good together that there's a proper interval whether it be a 4th or 5th or octave or whatever for them to sound good together I'd assume there's a "Chord" for lack of a better term when played.

I play a 12 up 16 down on one kit and 12 up 14 down on the other. The 14 actually is tuned close to the 16 in each of their "sweet" spots. In fact I only used both at one gig because I couldn't get enough separation between the two.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I generally just try to find the sweet spot for each drum and let the interval be whatever it ends up. Typically, it does end up around a 4th or a 5th. Experiment with the relationship between the reso and batter too. Once I found the sweet spot with that relationship, the toms never sounded better.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have my two tom's in octaves.

This is on a 1962 Ludwig Super Classic kit (13-16-22).

The 13 and 16 are both tuned to C one octave apart. Both of those drums sound good at that pitch and the spread doesn't sound like it's something extreme. It sounds "correct" to my ears.

My bass drum landed at a 4th interval from the tom's once tuned how I like it, so its tuned to an F.

All three are nice and simpatico.

Now I need to figure out my new 2up/2down Gretsch kit. I have no idea what to do there yet!

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Tune Bot recommendation for 10 or a 12 with a 16 floor tom, is to be one octave apart. However with all three their tuned in 4th. As said above I'm noticing my 12 is sounding less than preferred.

Haven't had time to work with the 12 at this time. Guess maybe find a good tuning for the 12 then try a 4th up and down for the other two drums; hum...maybe a 3rd or 5th would work.

sherm

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
A minor 7th is a bit narrower than an octave and will sound a lot less bland.
I tried this today and so far I like it! I wasn't sure about the sound at first, playing the drums by themselves, but when I put on some various music to play along with, the toms fit in quite nicely. I'll definitely report back after our next rehearsal. I forgot to mention this is a 12-16 setup.