Toms Up - How Flat?

3GJ

Reaction score
It matters not what other drummers do or how they place their toms... or anything else for that matter. Placement of bits of kit are entirely a personal thing. Put everything where it is most comfortable to play. There is no right or wrong, everyone does it differently (except those who think that what some famous drummer does must be right for them), and it doesn't matter what it looks like either. Try things in every conceivable position until you find what suits you.

TRDutch

Reaction score
Slight angle so I can still hit the rim
I will note that I learned the importance of bringing the right mounted closer in by angling the bass a bit for traditional grip.
That’s a Todd Sucharman recommendation

Attachments

Big b

Reaction score
I set up my rack toms (or "up" toms) angled toward me some (less than some others do, but definitely not flat). I see lots of folks set theirs up totally flat, i.e,. with the batter head roughly parallel to the floor (like a floor tom).

I have tried that a few times and cannot seem to get the tom placement correct or in a formation that seems usable without putting my seat up really high. Is that the trick? Or to set up flat do you have to be taller, or have longer arms, or use snare stands to get the toms lower, or just play shallower toms?

I fear my question sounds mocking. It is not intended to be. I would like to know b/c I would like to try the flat setup myself to see how it feels.

Thank you in advance.
I like about 10 degrees