Tony and Elvin. Modern Rides. What Would They Pick?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Title says it all. For the sake of some friendly Sunday conversation :)

toddbishop

Reaction score
I suspect Elvin would play whatever you put in front of him, Tony would probably play whatever brand he could line up the most lucrative deal with.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well if you are talking about them still being alive today to pick, let's remember Elvin would be 94 years old and very much like Roy Haynes would be not looking to change a thing. Tony on the other hand would be only 75, so he would be very relevant in his compositions and drumming. But I don't think Tony would have sat around writing post bop material. Tony would be in the vein of Snarky Puppy, Kasami Washington, Thundercat, etc. much more edgy within the entire world of music. That said, what modern ride would he use? Something big and loud!

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wasn't clear. I'm envisioning them at their prime, not 90 year old versions of themselves.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ... Elvin?

I could see him sounding spectacular on Paiste Masters. 20” Dark Ride on the right, 20” Medium Ride on the left, and 20” Dark Crash-Ride far right.

Tony?

Modern K’s/K Cons. 22” Medium Ride, 16-18-20 Crashes.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I withdraw my prior facetious answer, they would both definitely be playing Cymbal & Gong:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they were both fish out of water
After the Old K ceased.

Being they were Both Old K/ (Gretsch players) Have to take it from the Demise of Old (1978) K.

Elvin went to Avedis ...with the picture of he and Armand Shaking hands.... holding the fresh new EAK.

That lasted (not long) until Istanbul (presplit) got up and running. Early 80s. Elvin used the Presplit Istanbul (mixed in some old Ks) Until Istanbul Split. 1996-1997. (also the year he left Tama for Yamaha)

So in (96-97) he went Back to Avedis- endorsed some K Cons- and had them on the secondary Left Side of his Old used Old Ks . (so "technically" (a stretch but still) all Zildjian)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony. When plug was pulled (by Avedis Co. btw) on the old K Istanbul plant (1978) Tony went immediately to Avedis Zildjian (possibly sooner than Elvin did ) and Began Using Canadian Ks. That lasted for 1-3 years and then the EAKs.
He took a side trip visit to PreSplit Istanbul (and was photographed there) but apparently nothing much came about that from the visit.

where was I. thats the history leading up to...continue.
oh pictures: OF TW Istanbul visit here:

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvin: Old Ks and Keropes (20 old K right , 20 Old K right. 20 Kerope or K Con left. Old K or Kerope 14 Hi hats.
Tony- Istanbul Mehmet Signature Series (Jazz Rock mixed with Standard)

; ) ...who knows..lol