Tony Williams' old K's

rondrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the story Wallace Roney told about Tony's cymbals? He was working with Tony, and one day he was hanging at his house. Tony took him over to this big long trunk and opened it. It had about 50 old K's lined up in it. Tony told him to take a couple. Wallace played a bunch of them and picked out his favorites. He picked out the ride Tony used on "Four and More."

Is that sick or what? A trumpet player gets his choice of Tony's old K's.

Cymbalist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the story Wallace Roney told about Tony's cymbals? He was working with Tony, and one day he was hanging at his house. Tony took him over to this big long trunk and opened it. It had about 50 old K's lined up in it. Tony told him to take a couple. Wallace played a bunch of them and picked out his favorites. He picked out the ride Tony used on "Four and More."

Is that sick or what? A trumpet player gets his choice of Tony's old K's.

A drummer friend of mine, who is also a friend of Wallace's actually played that cymbal...When I asked him what it sounded like, he said "Nothing special...If you heard it in a music store, you would probably pass it by" Seriously...True story...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe he has Tony's yellow kit, though I'm not sure if Tony had more than one or not. He also has a trumpet from Miles.

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting story... and surely it's just evidential of what everybody already knew: It's Tony who sounded like Tony, not Tony's cymbals. I strongly suspect you could have given him a set of Cambers, and you still would have heard something pretty close to the Tony sound.....

As I have often said ~ and to the general irritation of most drummers, will now repeat: the drummer's art does not consist of getting the drum's sound out of the drums; the drummer's art is in the getting the drummer's sound out of the drummer.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Interesting story... and surely it's just evidential of what everybody already knew: It's Tony who sounded like Tony, not Tony's cymbals. I strongly suspect you could have given him a set of Cambers, and you still would have heard something pretty close to the Tony sound.....

As I have often said ~ and to the general irritation of most drummers, will now repeat: the drummer's art does not consist of getting the drum's sound out of the drums; the drummer's art is in the getting the drummer's sound out of the drummer.
Nicely state. Plus one.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I also heard, I think from Lenny White (through someone else,) that Wallace's Tony Williams ride cymbal is broken now. No one plays it, for fear it will crack further. :(

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still prefer the New Stamp Ks he played up until he switched to the new A. Zildjian made Ks of the early 80's. Although the clip below is from '85, I'm pretty sure he is playing his New Stamp Ks here.

Last edited by a moderator:

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
and then there's the story of Wallace buying a Gretsch Cadillac Green kit from Blair H and taking it to Nodar to have it recovered in WMP

paging Mr Holben , line 1...
TR

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Cherie has a kit with a similar story.. The one she has is in some sort of Blue Satin flame, but if that's over the green.. it's a real shame. Yamaha hardware on there too.. Too bad he didn't just get some new ones to do that to.

As for Tonys' K's.. there are a lot of different stories that I've heard.. including one that there was an old A in there!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ron, my buddy Bruce Wittet will talk for hours about these cymbals. He's played them and is a veritable expert on the subject. I believe he sent Mr Roney on the road with a couple . Bruce has his own drum mag :

TBruceWittet.com

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ron, my buddy Bruce Wittet will talk for hours about these cymbals. He's played them and is a veritable expert on the subject. I believe he sent Mr Roney on the road with a couple . Bruce has his own drum mag :

TBruceWittet.com

rondrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

You're exactly right---but...........

Guys like Tony and Elvin had a specific sound, and a big part of it was the cymbals they chose. They chose them deliberately to fit the music they played.

Yes, it's the drummer, but the instrument plays a part, too.

Cymbalist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also heard, I think from Lenny White (through someone else,) that Wallace's Tony Williams ride cymbal is broken now. No one plays it, for fear it will crack further. :(

Heard the same thing from a friend of Wallace's...

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I had heard that story too. Lenny White also owns one of Tony's K rides. He sets it up on the left side. I know he used it during the Manhattan Project back in 1989 that is available on DVD. Not sure if he's used it live since then.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had heard that story too. Lenny White also owns one of Tony's K rides. He sets it up on the left side. I know he used it during the Manhattan Project back in 1989 that is available on DVD. Not sure if he's used it live since then.
It is my understanding that the Lenny White EPOCH ride by Istanbul Agop is based on the Tony Williams K belonging to Wallace Roney.

Latest posts